Tree top pigeon shooting Aberdeenshire?

grahamch

As far as I am aware, it takes place in several parts of the country. I once saw a raised platform in a wood in Suffolk. My cousin had permission to shoot there. This kind of shooting doesn't appeal to me too much - conventional roost shooting is much more my thing.

I did it many years ago in Morayshire. The scaffolding was solid and it needed to be in the strong wind. The platform was 2m below tree top level. I had the luxury of someone picking up for me.

This was the most exciting shooting I have ever done apart from driven grouse.

I believe Fyvie used to do it. Not sure if they still do. Was beating there last week and did come across a very old high ladder to an elevated platform too high for the normal high seat. Assumed it was for that but was properly knackered! Maybe worth calling the estate to enquire if keen. 

I remember shooting with one of the old keepers from there who fell out of one and broke his back. Hardy guy though and recovered fairly quick. If you do go make sure you don't take the quick way down like he did!