Suspension

DanBettin

I don't know a lot about cars - looking for advice on whether it's possible to improve the suspension of my insignia or not.

I'm very happy with every other aspect of the car but I'm close to trading it in because of the suspension, it doesn't handle even the slightest of bumps well at all. You feel everything in it.

Quite possibly because of the tyres being low(ish) profile, but not exceptionally so. If it is the suspension, what are my options?

Nice one PW

21 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Smaller wheels - bigger tyres is one answer. The trade off for good handling and low profile tyres is that the ride is poor. Found this in Vectra VRX, Volkswagen Toureg and Mercedes 250D.

Thanks mate, I have no problem changing the tyres - the ride at the minute is abysmal so if it's not the suspension I'll definitely be looking into this. The only reason I'm not certain is because they're not very low profile, I'll upload a pic later. 

2 minutes ago, Uilleachan said:

Sounds like a blown shock absorbers to me. Take it to a garage if you don't know how to test them yourself. It isn't a huge job, but even if the problem is just one corner it's always best to change them in pairs.

Thanks mate. Silly question - would they always be blown evenly (on both sides), I don't feel like a particular side (or even front/back) are worse than others, just generally when I go over something it feels like the whole car is cracking, not nice at all. Is it tricky to check this myself ye? Thanks again

3 hours ago, DanBettin said:

Thanks mate. Silly question - would they always be blown evenly (on both sides), I don't feel like a particular side (or even front/back) are worse than others, just generally when I go over something it feels like the whole car is cracking, not nice at all. Is it tricky to check this myself ye? Thanks again

When I blow a shock I can tell straight away as everything starts to knock and bang, but for the life of me I can't tell from the drivers seat which it is, only front or back as a wet finger dab. If you press down hard on each corner the corner should press back firmly, if it's soft bouncy or not quick in coming back that's a good indication that it's a shock absorber. Also you can look to see if there's any oil leaking from them, best done when the car's been dry for a day or two. 

With the state of the roads generally, blown shocks are quite common. Not saying it is, but it'll cost you nothing to check it out , even if it's just to eliminate the shockie angle..   

Edited by Uilleachan

I drove a mate's Mini Cooper - it wasn't possible to go over a speed bump slowly enough to avoid feeling like my spine would collapse.

If all corners of the car are affected the same - not just say front near side - one or two faulty shockers would not seem to account for all of the car, but as has been said - bouncing on each corner costs nothing.

It wouldn't be a case of changing tyre - you would need to go from something like a low profile tyre on a 19" alloy to a 17" wheel with a higher profile tyre, to retain the overall dimensions. Insurance would need to know.

If you are on run flat tyres - this will be your biggest issue. I have just replaced my 17 inch with run flats to 16 inch conventional tyres. Big improvement!

The run flats are incredibly heavy and have no give - hence the ridiculous ride.

You will need to make some arrangement for a spare wheel or a tyre sealant in a can if this is the case.

Thanks very much for all of the replies! Very helpful.

Coincidentally, one of them went 'pop' this morning.

On looking at them again (I did say I don't know a lot about cars), I'm not convinced they're low profile, so I'm guessing it's worth getting them to have a look at the suspension/shock absorbers when I go and get the new tyre sorted.

Pic attached.

tyres.png

You have to be very careful about fitting different size tyres or wheels. You insurance could be invalidated unless you clear it with them.

It's perfectly possible to design cars that ride well on low profile tyres but the manufacturers often just throw them onto standard cars - or more likely 4x4s - as part of a 'sport' package. Quite why anyone would pay stupendous money to have a Kev'd up BMW X5 with 24" wheels and 20 profile tyres is beyond me but I know someone who has just that and apart from looking ridiculous, the ride quality is worse than a 50 year Fordson Major tractor.

I’ve had two insignias, both sri’s, my existing one with the same 18inch fitmennt as yours and a previous one with 17 inch wheels, 17was certainly more Comfortable.

ebay would have a set of 17s that would both straight on. Definitely check how it affects your insurance. 

Edited by shalfordninja33

Some of the sri models came on 20” rims ultra low profile and awful ride..... swap to the smaller wheels 16” maybe? Also check the type of tyres and that they are on he right size before changing not unknown for people to change the tyres to cheaper ones and effect the handling and rides (changing the wheel will do this also)

https://www.drivevauxhall.co.uk/news/wheel-options-with-the-vauxhall-insignia/13974/newsdetail.aspx

Edited by HDAV

Hi

Reiterate changing of tyres by Westward, recently replaced two (Contisport Runflats) for the same (Passat B7) came with.

My trawling suggested so long as a Factory tyre option then any change is acceptable, otherwise declare to the Insurerer(before) for the avoidance of doubt.

Internet reviews on tyres across a variety of websites  suggests that changing tyre sizes/types/manufacturers does change the ride quality and handling - your choice or balance point.

L