Knife handle material

moor man

There was a thread recently on just this in the craft and diy sub-forum.

Off the top of my head:

Brisa.fi, The Good Stuff Shop, Northwest Knife Supplies, Jean Turner.

G 10 is ok to work with, although pricey.

Micarta is easy to work, albeit smelly.

Delrin is ok. 

There is a synthetic ivory product around which it's good, but I can't bring the name to mind.

Also consider a Kydex sheath rather than leather.

20171219_163025-1.jpg.3a830b83722c0ebcd026901c2830d93f.jpgThanks beaky, will have a look for thread ta.

Which material of these is easiest to work/shape? Only made 2 knives both turned out ok and useable. ..1st was a Mora blade/yew handle with homemade decorative pins.

Latest, carbon steel blade I've had for nearly 10yrs, salvaged rubber type handle off a cheap snapped ceramic kitchen knife. Made it into a handy neck knife incorporating the plastic sheath?

20171219_162957-1.jpg

The ivory substitute is Elforyn. Haven't tried this one.

If the others, my preference would be a micarta - this is layers of material such as paper or cloth or canvas, soaked in resin and pressed together while it sets - much like GRP.

It is easy to work with hand or power tools, and gives an attractive and impervious finish. Just don't go too fast with power tools!

Micarta is a great material and you can get lots of different colour schemes. WEAR DUST PROTECTION.

Dymond Wood is also a useful material, Janz Supply in the USA had about 50 different patterns last time I looked. They also do a whole range of different handle materials, some very fancy stuff.

Edited by Walker570

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I bought this Enzo trapper years ago then forgot about it!!, It has Micarta scales..... In brown!! :hmm:

uWnZ80K.jpg

x9Kf0hJ.jpg

I was going to start making knives years ago, Started buying the stuff I needed, Started getting my garage kitted out with tools then one of my sheds collapsed so all the stuff was jammed in to the garage :unhappy:

Eventually I replaced the shed with a larger one, I filled the new shed and still couldn't get in the garage!!

I had bought several lathes and a  good sized Startrite bandsaw though! :yes:

UqWHDD3.jpg

GorNipx.jpg

4ycA9EU.jpg

I gave most of the blades away, I think I have two left for when I do eventually start!!

John :)

Some useful material there and some nice looking blades...... no stitches in that thumb ...YET:good:   Take care and wrap those blades in thick tape when your working them.

No good shutting door afterwards.  Also remember to wear a dust mask as some of the dust even from natural wood, yew in particular, can be nasty.

Yep, 'bout time you started to put some of that stuff to good use.

Edited by Walker570