Comparison between low cost and high cost cartridges

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly no offence taken this end. To be honest I’ve heard all the chat so many times , but my offer stands I’m more than willing to pop along and show you a thing or two . And for the record , I don’t use trap shells to save money. my comp shells cost more than your cheap pigeon shells , I use them because  , in my opinion a quality trap load ( 28 gram English 7 ) out performs a cheap pigeon load any day , by a country mile ! 

2 hours ago, AYA117 said:

I love talking about cartridges,it is the shooting worlds equivalent of talking about religion or politics ! Everyone has a view,some are based on fact and some are based on 'I read it so it must be true' those with real life experience have an argument that you cannot change.When it comes to cartridges the truth is no written word or ballistic coefficient of shot size (what ever the hell that is ) will tell you NOTHING! Take a cartridge out shooting,If you are a proficient shot ,you will know a good cartridge from a bad one!! And please ! A 1 oz load of 7 (28g for the younger amongst us) Will not drop birds consistently past 30 yards.

Surely you don't believe that absolute rubbish you wrote in that last sentence. You are clearly looking for a reaction.

There's a good reason why GD doesn't use 7's for his pigeon shooting, he prefers to use 34g of 5's because he needs something he can rely on to kill birds out to 60-70 yards which is not the domain of 7's - nobody including myself pretended otherwise. 

On 21 December 2017 at 15:38, Jason_ox said:

Generally I stick to one cartridge, black gold game. It’s not an unwillingness to try others, I think I’m susceptible to overthinking things which makes me miss more.

It’s just one thing that I don’t have think about, I’m confident with it I know the cartridge can kill and all the others can too but in my mind THIS cartridge is my choice and if I miss it’s down to me and I can’t blame my choice cartridge  

I'm the same, with the same cartridge.

I used to like a particular make/model of cartridge and was convinced that they were the be all and end all and then.... we were going up to Scotland clay busting for the weekend and I had run out of carts and was also feeling a bit "tight" so called into a gunshop on the way up and asked for some "cheap" carts because it was for a bit of fun clay busting and he pointed me to some "mixed bag" slabs of old and unloved, leftover boxes of, well, anything :D in the mix there was game carts and clay carts so I thought why not... £170 a thou and there were some really nice game carts in there which made it a bit of a bargain.

The point I am getting to is that the clay carts that were in there were a mixed bag of cheddite, gamerbore kent, subsonics and other stuff too and I went around the shoot with literally pockets full of anything from 24g to 28g to subsonics. I wasn't fussy what I put in which barrel and just put in what my hand brough out of my pocket and came 2nd in the shoot :D

Also came second in the compaq too... Always the bridesmaid eh lol One lad who comes (usually shoots well) was shooting Black Gold and came last. They will all break clays. Its where you point it that counts the most!

On 02/01/2018 at 16:15, cookoff013 said:

cartridges patterning well has nothing to do with gunfit.

having the same cartridges through out your life is impossible. people swap cartridges and only notice if they analyse cartridges before and after any change. same as chokes. 

there is a big difference between 28g and 36g, big big difference. 

it does matter how shells patten with specific guns / barrels.

i`m betting 99% of shotgunners, grab any box and go plug away at everything. 

when i started i was told to throw away all chokes except 1/4. because its best. and i can tell you its rubbish, i`ve ended up way tighter. 

shotguns are versatile and are sposed to be used with a variety of diet, from slug, buck, steel, tungsten, tin, bismuth, other, birdshot. so limiting to a single brand / payload /shotsize is nuts.

36g loads are the original sporting load,  1450fps is not. combine the two and you have not much, probably loose half the shot before it gets anywhere near target. 

I never said it did!!!  It really hacks me off when people who like to have a pop at posts can't be bothered to even read them properly!  Read what was said!  No one suggested using the same cartridges through your life as clearly that's not going to happen but when you find some that pattern well (and NOT all do) and stick with them,  it helps consistency. You've then gone on to basically repeat what I've said

Gun fit is very important.   

RE chokes...for the classic English S/S game gun it was often touted that 1/2 and 1/4 or 1/2 and Improved were the ideal.  I tend to shoot with half and 3/4 choke as it covers 95% of all my needs, or just 1/2 choke with the semi-auto when decoying no more than 25 to 40 yards out.

Edited by Savhmr

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2017 at 19:47, Dunkield said:

I was under the impression you will struggle to find Superfast 6's during the game season?

I hope that isn't true as I have none and a couple of beaters days coming up soon.

Seems they weren't available for the past two seasons, but they are now available during the season, which is indeed good news :good: