Fishery owner and farmer facing legal action on his no eastern Europeans policy

oldypigeonpopper

hello, as above, farmer and fishery  Billy Evans owner of a well known fishery in north oxfordshire being taken to court by a UK polish resident with money gained by crowd funding, the polish resident Mr Papiewski who works for the Angling Trust stated it made him very angry and upset that such a sign can be put up and will argue it is race discrimination, in his defence farmer Billy stated he is fed up with finding stolen fish when he has confronted fisherman leaving the fishery, oh and they were polish, this has been going on for the last ten years or more in the UK and i have witnessed myself, with many instances of violence, and even killing and take swans off the river thames, the Angling Trust is giving £2,000 to the legal costs, any thought PW fisher members   

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Mr Evans has been naive and foolhardy in the extreme.  It is absolutely no different to the signs of years gone by of "No Blacks, No Irish" in guest house windows.

Without a doubt there are some specific cultural challenges that need to be talked about and addressed, but to take the approach that he has is crazy.

9 minutes ago, grrclark said:

I think that Mr Evans has been naive and foolhardy in the extreme.  It is absolutely no different to the signs of years gone by of "No Blacks, No Irish" in guest house windows.

Without a doubt there are some specific cultural challenges that need to be talked about and addressed, but to take the approach that he has is crazy.

Hit the nail on the head! 

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as above, farmer and fishery  Billy Evans owner of a well known fishery in north oxfordshire being taken to court by a UK polish resident with money gained by crowd funding, the polish resident Mr Papiewski who works for the Angling Trust stated it made him very angry and upset that such a sign can be put up and will argue it is race discrimination, in his defence farmer Billy stated he is fed up with finding stolen fish when he has confronted fisherman leaving the fishery, oh and they were polish, this has been going on for the last ten years or more in the UK and i have witnessed myself, with many instances of violence, and even killing and take swans off the river thames, the Angling Trust is giving £2,000 to the legal costs, any thought PW fisher members   

hello, heads up, BBC2 victoria derbyshire just going to speak on this with the polish man, should be interesting

14 hours ago, grrclark said:

+1

You just can't take the PC brigade (or the law) on, head on! We all know that certain nationalities and ethnic groups are responsible for a disproportionate amount of particular and specific type of crime/lawlessness...........but to name the group is not PC and in consequence has been made unacceptable in law!

The authorities can't openly target these nationalities/groups for fear of appearing racist, so they treat everyone like criminals in order to demonstrate they are not!.............And use the whole of society as a means of singling out the real perpetrators!

Waste of police time and our money! Rather than tying their hands behind their backs, just get rid of the PC laws and allow the authorities to target the groups we all know are usually responsible!.....that should sort the real perpetrators out!...........And make signs like Mr Evans'  unnecessary in the future.

20 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thanks for your replies so farm, i think it will end up in court or the owner might change the wording, but nothing was mentioned about the last 10 years of poaching and sometimes violence against fishery owners, last year at the club trout lakes on the farm, the complete stock of one lake poached, but we now have CCTV, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

7 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Good on him - his property so his rules or don't go. Might have been easier to make it members only with the application asking your Nationality - if he doesn't like the "cut of your jib" then sorry but membership is full.

Yep, membership sounds like a much better idea, than a sign alienating one group of people. They can charge a nominal fee for membership and normal fees for fishing and set out some strict membership rules, and obviously use the right to refuse membership without a reason.

Sticking up a sign is tantamount to putting up a signed confession. I sympathise with the owner, but he was ill-advised to go down this route. If he could ascertain that they were Polish when they were leaving, it should be possible to ascertain their nationality on entry. It's just too late after the event.

Restricted membership is probably the best option, but care would have to be taken about who was refused.

Whilst some Polish nationals have gained a reputation for eating swans etc., it has to be remembered that these are a minority. The Poles fought bravely on our side in WW  - many Polish pilots.

Edited by Gordon R

47 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Sticking up a sign is tantamount to putting up a signed confession. I sympathise with the owner, but he was ill-advised to go down this route. If he could ascertain that they were Polish when they were leaving, it should be possible to ascertain their nationality on entry. It's just too late after the event.

Restricted membership is probably the best option, but care would have to be taken about who was refused.

Whilst some Polish nationals have gained a reputation for eating swans etc., it has to be remembered that these are a minority. The Poles fought bravely on our side in WW  - many Polish pilots.

i doubt whether it was those brave Polish pilots that are doing the poaching:hmm:

Just reading some of the carp he's been quoted as saying.

Mr Papiewski runs a project called “Building Bridges” that aims to build connections between English anglers and those from other countries. There are sometimes misunderstandings between groups because European anglers are used to keeping the fish they catch, whereas Britons generally throw them back.

This right here displays his knowledge of British Carp Anglers ! I have never and don't know of any Carp Angler that throws the fish back into the water lol He runs a project called Building Bridges, Wonder how that will go if he keeps taking Fisheries to court who don't want there stock nicked, We already have Otter predation to cope with without the Poles stocking the freezer :sad1:

I note from his sign that No Children are allowed so he should expect the local Crèche to be next in line :whistling:

23 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Good on him - his property so his rules or don't go. Might have been easier to make it members only with the application asking your Nationality - if he doesn't like the "cut of your jib" then sorry but membership is full.

^^ This would be racist. I cannot condone racist behavior. 

The owner of the fishery appears to be acting in a racist manner and deserves the full force of the law. As Grrclark says above this is no different from signs saying 'no blacks or irish'.

51 minutes ago, oowee said:

The owner of the fishery appears to be acting in a racist manner and deserves the full force of the law. As Grrclark says above this is no different from signs saying 'no blacks or irish'.

I'm not arguing that the sign is 100% wrong, but what is he supposed to do when Polish (now I don’t know if they were or not) are stealing his fish to eat, fish which have probably cost him a lot of hard earned money. I personally don't care if it is what they do in their culture in Poland, they are NOT in Poland they should respect our culture and the farmer.

The farmer's only mistake is putting up a sign, I don't think it is a deliberate act of Racism, just a desperate man trying to protect his living from thieves.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Are Poles a different race to Brits now ?
Im not sticking up for Mr Evans, hes doing the proverbial bull at a gate job, but hes certainly not a racist, hes a victim of theft, which is harming his business.
Therefore he is attempting (badly) to limit his losses.
You would think the Angling trust would be helping him, rather than trying to put him out of business.
Whilst Mr 'building bridges' Papiewski ,should practice what he preaches.

Edited by Rewulf
TYPO

53 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I'm not arguing that the sign is 100% wrong, but what is he supposed to do when Polish (now I don’t know if they were or not) are stealing his fish to eat, fish which have probably cost him a lot of hard earned money. I personally don't care if it is what they do in their culture in Poland, they are NOT in Poland they should respect our culture and the farmer.

The farmer's only mistake is putting up a sign, I don't think it is a deliberate act of Racism, just a desperate man trying to protect his living from thieves.

This 100% :good:

26 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Are Poles a different race to Brits now ?
Im not sticking up for Mr Evans, hes doing the proverbial bull at a gate job, but hes certainly not a racist, hes a victim of theft, which is harming his business.
Therefore he is attempting (badly) to limit his losses.
You would think the Angling trust would be helping him, rather than trying to put him out of business.
Whilst Mr 'building bridges' Papiewski ,should practice what he preaches.

+1

At the end of the day he will be made to remove the sign only to have the Poles return and empty his Fishery and probably end his Business buy hey at least he won't be labeled a Racist any longer, Oh wait won't he then be labeled a Dole Walla ???

Edited by Snoozer