Fishery owner and farmer facing legal action on his no eastern Europeans policy

oldypigeonpopper

His business is now potentially unviable but then that is one of the advantages downsides of immigration. He is not the only one to have put this type of sign up so I guess they'll all have to assess their viability as well.

What of pubs and bars banning travellers?  I look forward to when that or similar crops up as a thread.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 19.12.2017 at 21:15, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as above, farmer and fishery  Billy Evans owner of a well known fishery in north oxfordshire being taken to court by a UK polish resident with money gained by crowd funding, the polish resident Mr Papiewski who works for the Angling Trust stated it made him very angry and upset that such a sign can be put up and will argue it is race discrimination, in his defence farmer Billy stated he is fed up with finding stolen fish when he has confronted fisherman leaving the fishery, oh and they were polish, this has been going on for the last ten years or more in the UK and i have witnessed myself, with many instances of violence, and even killing and take swans off the river thames, the Angling Trust is giving £2,000 to the legal costs, any thought PW fisher members   

Well... you got my attention and I've done some research about that urban legend with swans.(because I never heard about eating this in Poland). It seems that some tabloid newspapers started all of this for unclear reasons and it was first time in 2003 so long before "easterns" invasion  began. Anyway I  didn't find EVEN SINGLE ONE case when  those legendary easterns were sentenced. But I found something else :  

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/mar/19/arts.environment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4361079.stm

Apparently   swan is a typical english dish   :rolleyes:

And some more "easterns" but a bit far to east than You think :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646337/Im-sorry-I-didnt-know-type-bird-It-tasted-nice-Turkish-man-caught-stuffing-beheaded-swan-backpack-apologises.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-418000/Man-tried-eat-swan-Ramadan-fast.html

Could anyone give me some details/source about Poles sentenced for killing/eating swan? 

6 hours ago, yod dropper said:

His business is now potentially unviable but then that is one of the advantages downsides of immigration. He is not the only one to have put this type of sign up so I guess they'll all have to assess their viability as well.

What of pubs and bars banning travellers?  I look forward to when that or similar crops up as a thread.

I think you're wrong. If his business is unviable  it is not because of emigration. I think  even in the UK full od PC is not a problem to ban some certain group of people or keep them away from your business. But way or manner how you do this is a key.

1 minute ago, Honey Monster said:

Could anyone give me some details/source about Poles sentenced for killing/eating swan? 

Sentences are extremely unlikely.  How many have been convicted of stealing fish from private and public waters?  There has been a lot of netting go on in the Fens but I'd doubt barely a conviction, yet it is well known that this is a problem as no doubt (?) you'd know from the existence of 'Building Bridges' as involved in this case.  A lack of convictions doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  You just need to look at the sightings/ arrests/ convictions ratio for hare coursing.  Poles are probably the wrong group to point the finger at for killing Swans but near Peterborough where there was a large rough sleeping tented group from beyond the EU's eastern border where I recall a lot of swan carcasses were being found in the vicinity which the weasel worded RSPB said had probably died on power lines.

5 minutes ago, Honey Monster said:

I think you're wrong. If his business is unviable  it is not because of emigration. I think  even in the UK full od PC is not a problem to ban some certain group of people or keep them away from your business. But way or manner how you do this is a key.

There is a cost in the extra work involved in making sure people do not steal your property.  This may make it unviable.  In this case it is because of the cultural practices of a specific group of immigrants.  

"...and the inclusion of certain former Eastern Bloc countries in the European Union, many people from those places have come to live or work in England. In countries such as Poland and Lithuania, angling is extremely popular – but the culture there revolves around fishing for the pot,"

http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=1178

Exactly right its the fish stealers he needs to guard against. He needs to look at the way he does business. Self regulation working with the fishing groups for their own benefit not targeting some random group because some may have taken some fish.  As HM says the key is the manner in which he does it, including running his business. 

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

Exactly right its the fish stealers he needs to guard against. He needs to look at the way he does business. Self regulation working with the fishing groups for their own benefit not targeting some random group because some may have taken some fish.  As HM says the key is the manner in which he does it, including running his business. 

It's not a random group, it's a specific group with an accepted cultural practice of taking fish.  They have taken fish, not may have.  There will be  a cost to the extra work he needs to do.  Unfortunately for him what he has done is against the law.    Just as a pub near me eventually closed down in no small part due to the constant trouble from travellers he may well have to close down if the costs of running his business are now too high.

Edited by yod dropper

Didn't realise this was still rumbling on, having your fish taken is theft plain and simple, I can well understand someone loosing it and putting up the sign that's got him in bother, I can also understand the police doing nothing given they just say there over stretched all the time.

But what if they were pheasant or sheep, dogs or mobile phones, sweets even, then would people realise its this fellas livelyhood were talking about, imagine someone is taking the tools you need to do your job feed your family.

carp is consumed in Poland on Christmas day that's there turkey and tradition, i can remember attended a bailiffs course in Nantwich and was told if a water is fed by a stream and water running out they carnt be done for theft has you carnt prove the fish in the main pond or lake have not come from other places 

but can be done if the water is netted at both ends so fish carnt move in or out

12 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

carp is consumed in Poland on Christmas day that's there turkey and tradition, i can remember attended a bailiffs course in Nantwich and was told if a water is fed by a stream and water running out they carnt be done for theft has you carnt prove the fish in the main pond or lake have not come from other places 

but can be done if the water is netted at both ends so fish carnt move in or out

thanks for that info but with regards for the theft from streams surely its theft from the owner of the fishing rights?

45 minutes ago, hambone said:

.. ask the question of 'Honey Monster' what's carp taste like compared to other fish? why is it popular in eastern Europe but not here and why is carp not extinct in Europe?? 

Tastes terribly in my opinion, strong mud aftertaste Personally I don't like it( that's why I ate it maybe 3 times in my life) and in Poland this is not popular fish for meat except Christmas as davewh100 mentioned.  As I remember there is 3 different kinds of carp in Poland. All of them are not popular as a meat source but are popular as a trophy because  it is not easy to catch and it is very strong and big fish ( I saw  even 24kg heavy ones ) . I have no idea about Europe but in Poland this is very popular species of fish, in some areas  even considered as a pest. Also there is a lot of carp farms as well . About fishing in Poland in general I can say most of waters are under state management. ( over 90% I think) . You need to get license for fishing ( exams and general fees) and  sometimes for certain waters there is additional fee. Depends on species there is daily limit  you can take, minium size and protective periods ( I don't remember everything, last time I was fishing in fresh water was some 20 yrs ago and some laws been changed probably).  Catch& release is becoming popular in recent years as far as I know. Other thing is private waters ( lakes and pond only, all rivers are under state management). On private water you can go without licence and all conditions are up to owner eg. you can take a fish but pay for every single one or per kg. Fishing without licence is considered as a poaching on state waters and as a theft on private ones.

Tastes terribly in my opinion, strong mud aftertaste Personally I don't like it( that's why I ate it maybe 3 times in my life) and in Poland this is not popular fish for meat except Christmas as davewh100 mentioned.  As I remember there is 3 different kinds of carp in Poland. All of them are not popular as a meat source but are popular as a trophy because  it is not easy to catch and it is very strong and big fish ( I saw  even 24kg heavy ones ) . I have no idea about Europe but in Poland this is very popular species of fish, in some areas  even considered as a pest. Also there is a lot of carp farms as well . About fishing in Poland in general I can say most of waters are under state management. ( over 90% I think) . You need to get license for fishing ( exams and general fees) and  sometimes for certain waters there is additional fee. Depends on species there is daily limit  you can take, minium size and protective periods ( I don't remember everything, last time I was fishing in fresh water was some 20 yrs ago and some laws been changed probably).  Catch& release is becoming popular in recent years as far as I know. Other thing is private waters ( lakes and pond only, all rivers are under state management). On private water you can go without licence and all conditions are up to owner eg. you can take a fish but pay for every single one or per kg. Fishing without licence is considered as a poaching on state waters and as a theft on private ones.

Thanks for the reply, so the rules in Poland are not a million miles from our own so language barrier even less of an excuse to steal fish (Not blaming only Polish). I have eaten pike and have to say it was one of the tastiest fish I have tried.

33 minutes ago, hambone said:

Thanks for the reply, so the rules in Poland are not a million miles from our own so language barrier even less of an excuse to steal fish (Not blaming only Polish). I have eaten pike and have to say it was one of the tastiest fish I have tried.

Yes, fishing here and there is not much different. Honestly I don't know what is the situation now but 20 yrs ago all fees were quite expensive hence some

people  ignored it. Also  penalties for poaching were quite low and "water rangers" ( for checking licences) were very rare sight. All above  combined resulted that certain people used to get fish for free and unpunished. It is not like they don't know this is illegal, they do, but they just ignore it.

Edited by Honey Monster

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Hugh fearnly w, once caught one with permission, then cooked it for the big house, even after a few dats of filtering it in a fresh water stream they still said it was muddy, if memory serves. 

yeah i remember that one mice it was a grass carp it put it in an old bath in a field with running water for a week to get rid of the muddy taste wen it was cooked he used cucumber for scales

On 28/12/2017 at 18:12, Honey Monster said:

Well... you got my attention and I've done some research about that urban legend with swans.(because I never heard about eating this in Poland). It seems that some tabloid newspapers started all of this for unclear reasons and it was first time in 2003 so long before "easterns" invasion  began. Anyway I  didn't find EVEN SINGLE ONE case when  those legendary easterns were sentenced. But I found something else :  

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/mar/19/arts.environment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4361079.stm

Apparently   swan is a typical english dish   

And some more "easterns" but a bit far to east than You think :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2646337/Im-sorry-I-didnt-know-type-bird-It-tasted-nice-Turkish-man-caught-stuffing-beheaded-swan-backpack-apologises.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-418000/Man-tried-eat-swan-Ramadan-fast.html

hello, try google, swan poachers fined in uk will bring up some interesting reading

No. It is very easy to say something and then- google it. I can say, so far that brits eat swans more than "eastern europeans"( personally I never heard about even thinking about swan as food in Poland ). I googled and posted some links. Now I'm waiting for some info. 

On 28.12.2017 at 18:22, yod dropper said:

Sentences are extremely unlikely.  How many have been convicted of stealing fish from private and public waters?  There has been a lot of netting go on in the Fens but I'd doubt barely a conviction, yet it is well known that this is a problem as no doubt (?) you'd know from the existence of 'Building Bridges' as involved in this case.  A lack of convictions doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Same like above- this is EOT. A lack of convictions doesn't mean it doesn't happen. What's the point to discuss then? Now I can say everything about brits behaviour  on stag nights in Poland , for example in Krakow and then say the same if you don't like it- google it or lack of convictions.... ( but was a few as  I remember.) 

The misconduct of people throughout the world when not in their own countries ranges from stupidity, immaturity and high jinx to serious criminal activity.....to what do you refer?........People getting drunk and making an exhibition of themselves? Or people involved in modern slavery, prostitution, drug smuggling/dealing, armed robbery, theft, benefit fraud...........murder? 

You don't hear too much of latter from the Brit abroad!

13 hours ago, oowee said:

I have been many times to Krakow, and go again in a few weeks. It's often embarrassing to see the behavior of Brits over there. 

Yes. Unfortunately. And their "activity" is not limited to drinking only. For example Krakow is full of pigeons and people feed them from hand . But some drunk brits just killed them for fun in cruel manner.  http://www.gazetakrakowska.pl/artykul/653009,krakow-brytyjczycy-zamordowali-nam-golebia,id,t.html   http://www.tvp.info/1097123/brytyjczycy-meczyli-krakowskie-golebie. And I'd like to point out that nobody placed a sign- no dogs and brits allowed or similar.

Panoma1 - if you don't hear too much about brits abroad stop reading  "sun" only. Also I have no idea to what you refer.

On 12/28/2017 at 18:52, oowee said:

So he needs to rethink the way he does business. It's simple. 

Eh ? Hes the victim of crime, but the spotlight is on him to alter the way he does business, what do you suggest doormen, frisking on exit ?
Thats like saying supermarkets have to have  mandatory bag and coat check ins, to combat shoplifting, its not viable.

13 hours ago, oowee said:

I have been many times to Krakow, and go again in a few weeks. It's often embarrassing to see the behavior of Brits over there. 

Again, Brits abroad getting ratted and misbehaving will get the full weight of the law, what has that got to do with this case ?
Trying to deflect away from the issue of a mans business being robbed, by saying 'we misbehave too'  is a pathetic  PC argument.

4 hours ago, Honey Monster said:

Yes. Unfortunately. And their "activity" is not limited to drinking only. For example Krakow is full of pigeons and people feed them from hand . But some drunk brits just killed them for fun in cruel manner.  http://www.gazetakrakowska.pl/artykul/653009,krakow-brytyjczycy-zamordowali-nam-golebia,id,t.html   http://www.tvp.info/1097123/brytyjczycy-meczyli-krakowskie-golebie. And I'd like to point out that nobody placed a sign- no dogs and brits allowed or similar.

Panoma1 - if you don't hear too much about brits abroad stop reading  "sun" only. Also I have no idea to what you refer.

Well you seem to know the storylines of the "Sun"....but....sorry to disabuse you, I don't! I haven't purchased the Sun or any other UK national newspaper for more than ten years!....and if you have no idea to whom I refer........then there is no point continuing this debate, as you are clearly having difficulty understanding my inference?