More penetration testing

So nothing fires off a thread more than a debate about penetration variance between .22 and .177. 

My anecdotal evidence: .177 penetrates further than .22. It's why I dont like using .177 on birds and squirrels because the pellet flys straight through.

The theory: ballistic coefficient determined retained energy so a .22 should pen further than a .177.

In the red corner: BSA Ultra SE in .22 (11.4 ftlbs) firing AA Diablo Fields 15.9Gn. In the blue corner: BSA Scorpion SE in .177 (11.6 ftlbs) firing JSB Heavies 10.3Gn.

According to Chairgun these pellets have the same ballistic coefficient - but they dont behave the same.

Exibit A:

I bought some modelling clay. It was cold and hard. You can see that the .177 pens deeper than the .22

/.....

20171203_160731-1.jpg

Then I warmed up the clay and tested the .22:

Boy did the .22 pen! The cavity was huge.

20171220_125918-1.jpg

20171220_125940-1.jpg

Then the .177. It didn't go as far!

20171220_130544-1.jpg

20171220_130600-1.jpg

20171220_130751.jpg

So same bc but different and opposite to when the clay was cold. 

My take? If the pellet has to break through something hard e.g. bone, the .177 passes through better. Its why the .177 can pen chipboard but a .22 will bounce.

However if its softish material then the heavier .22 will pen further. Most tests are done with ballistic gel or soap, so this is the behaviour recorded.

Well done dc .keep at it. 

Although I would say it's a little unfair testing  a heavy weight .177 against a med weight .22 

A true test would be 8.44 grn v 16 grn 

Or. 10.3 grn v 21 grn 

Or 7.4 grn v 13.4 grn 

If you put a heavy .177 against a light .22 then the .177 is more likely to penetrate deeper. 

Yep, that 10.3 grain pellet does punch through live tissue. Shooting barn pigeons at the moment and have to be careful as the 10.3s go straight through the pigeon and some/not all put a neat little hole in the cement roof.  This is at 10 to 25yrds along a large open wintering cattle shed.  I'm using both, those 10.3s and some 14.3gr Mosquitos in 22 and after now killing 149 barn pigeons I cannot honestly see any difference in the ability to do the job. Sometimes just a THUMP! and sometimes a dull thump and a sharp crack as the pellet hits the roof/purlin behind.  Obviously based on what it comes up against as it passes through the bird.

Interesting to see the effect on that clay though, have you tried it on dead flesh and bone, a pigeon, rabbit. better still a grey tree rat:yes:

54 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Easy...freeze it solid first.:yes:

16 minutes ago, DC177 said:

I had a couple of squzzers just for that purpose but Mrs DC was sniffing around so I didnt get the chance. Next time...

But then there hard like the clay was to begin with, see what I mean arry

and the flesh closes up, I shot one a while back in the garden front on chest shot, I could see an exit would small blob of blood but could not find the entry point

Loving the thought of being poked and prodded at 1 in the morning at my age - brings back fond memories :friends:. As for the penetration debate I can only go by my own experience and clumsy tests on paperback books - the smaller calibre seems to win hands down on paper and in the field ( I have written to some length about Squirrels being shot clean thru the head and still being fully conscious with the .177) whereas the .22 seems to deliver more shock on impact. Being renowned as one of the worlds tightest beings I would not have bought the .22 S410 if not for the above reason (although it is stunning and was hard to refuse at the price) and have ,so far, not experienced the reasonably healthy, ventilated head, Tree Rat syndrome. This needs to be taken in context however taking into account that most of my shooting is currently Squizzers - if I'm simply "mooching" around looking for hapless vermin then I prefer the .177.