A day out with the Dog.

Clodhopper

About 20 acres of seed maize had been cut last week and the stubble left untouched. Around 500 to 1000 pigeons had been using the field over the last few days which had got me a little excited. My concern was the weather forecast as there was very little in the way of wind. I had observed the birds arriving from the woods in large groups of around 100 which would provide little shooting unless we had a wind to break them up a bit. 

I would not have opted to shoot today, however I had been told that contractor was keen to come and plough the stubble so it was a case of take my chance now or risk missing the opportunity. I contacted JDog and hoped to repay the fine sport he has kindly shown me recently. Having explained the situation to him he was still keen to come and give it a go.

When we arrived at the field at 9 am there were around 500 pigeons feeding. We opted to shoot a flightline coming into the smallest of the 2 fields. We set up with 2 rotary's 30 yards out 25 yards apart. The birds came but found it difficult to land due to the light breeze being in our faces.  We moved the rotary's a further 30 yards out, still the bird struggled to manoeuvre themselves into the killing area.

We then decided to move one rotary on the grass behind us and shoot the birds as"driven", with our backs to the maize. This proved effective almost immediately. We had some testing high birds, we missed many and dropped a few. JDog pulling off a couple of splendid shots at around 65 yards. On the whole we both shot badly. We each ran out of cartridges at around 13.30. The birds continued to come but wee decided we had had the best of it and packed up.

We picked 32 bird for more shots than I cared to count.   Both of us agreed that had we not shot like a pair of puddings we would have made a half decent bag but regardless of numbers we both had an enjoyable day.

Fingers crossed the ploughman will get put off over the Christmas period as there weather looks more promising after boxing day.

It was a great few hours sport even though we shot badly. I find this is perfectly normal for me nowadays.

Something was amiss apart from the wind being wrong and when we packed up I could see what it was. Whilst looking for some of our birds I found several 'falls' of feathers which were a few days old. Someone had beaten us to the field which is why the birds were wary.

No excuses, we should have had fifty easily.

My companion is keen of that there is no doubt. He came to the field virtually straight from his place of work having completed a twelve hour night shift. Fair play.

Edited by JDog