Best Xmas Song

FairImogen

The Pogues & Kirsty Macoll Fairytale of New York. Definitely my favourite Christmas song, I am however a Pogues fan, and was a fan before Fairytale arrived in the charts.

17 years yesterday since dear Kirsty was tragically killed in an accident. RIP Kirsty.

I won't leave on that sad note though, don't ask me how by our man Shane is 60 years young on Christmas day! Happy Birthday Shane, lets have a drink.

Cheers

Aled

Used to think Fairytale of New York was but now I prefer Chris Rea Driving Home for Christmas, as that’s what I’ll be doing along with many many others tomorrow, hope the M25 isn’t to bad heading back to the North from Surrey. 

Also like Chrissie Hind two thousand miles. 

Any Nat King Cole or that era Christmas songs are still the best and never get tired. 

15 hours ago, marsh man said:

Pogues for me as well , closely followed by the first band aid , Do They Know Its Christmas .

Spot on.

Whenever they do the best xmas song jobbies on the music channels these are 1 and 2 inevitably and i cant really argue about which way round they are.

I cant however agree with one i saw the other day that had East 17 scagheads as number 1...turned it off in disgust and put Scuzz back on?

7 hours ago, steve d said:

Spot on.

Whenever they do the best xmas song jobbies on the music channels these are 1 and 2 inevitably and i cant really argue about which way round they are.

I cant however agree with one i saw the other day that had East 17 scagheads as number 1...turned it off in disgust and put Scuzz back on?

one of the former members of east 17 was on celebrity juice, they themselves were baffled as to how it was a Christmas song as they released it in August :lol:

Shane wrote Fairytale (with Jem Finer) apparently after a bet with Elvis Costello, who reckoned they couldn’t write a Christmas hit without compromising their reputation.

Have to say a song about alcoholism and lost dreams ain’t your normal Christmas fayre, but it’s more relevant to a lot of people than, say, White Christmas.