Lab eating sticks

yates

My 6 year black Labrador has suddenly started eating old dry twigs and sticks. This is happening every time I take him out now. I haven’t changed his diet and he is eating well. Does anyone have any ideas why he has started doing this or experienced similar problems

We try and get him to avoid picking sticks up all together. We take them off him, and reward the giving, what i do then is (on the lead) stop him from picking sticks up as we walk past. I will walk past sticks on purpose over and over again until he ignores them. Each time he goes towards them or looks at them I tighten the lead with a NO !

It's not often he actually picks them up at all, but we go through the same process again. 

On 24 December 2017 at 19:43, Dougy said:

We try and get him to avoid picking sticks up all together. We take them off him, and reward the giving, what i do then is (on the lead) stop him from picking sticks up as we walk past. I will walk past sticks on purpose over and over again until he ignores them. Each time he goes towards them or looks at them I tighten the lead with a NO !

It's not often he actually picks them up at all, but we go through the same process again. 

Take Dougies advice, the dog will soon get the idea,

but you must do it EVERY TIME he does it

flynny

Noodle doesn't pick up sticks.   He is more into trees.   Ruddy great lumps of wood that would keep a log burner going for an hour or two.  He is a big lad (Labrador) so I suppose the exercise is doing him some good.   Last week he was running up a country lane with a branch that was touching both hedges.   If he can't find one on the ground he will tear one off the tree.

Maybe he was a beaver in a former life. 

22 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Noodle doesn't pick up sticks.   He is more into trees.   Ruddy great lumps of wood that would keep a log burner going for an hour or two.  He is a big lad (Labrador) so I suppose the exercise is doing him some good.   Last week he was running up a country lane with a branch that was touching both hedges.   If he can't find one on the ground he will tear one off the tree.

Maybe he was a beaver in a former life. 

I had a lab like that. The big problem is when they try to run past you 2ft away from you legs with 3ft of tree trunk sticking out either side of their mouth.