Cut and Recrown

nnorman32

Hi.

Having difficulty hitting a cows **** with a cricket bat at the moment.

I am right in thinking that cutting the end of a fixed choke and removing the choked section will make the new barrel a wider choke  ie: full choke to cylinder?

Also has anyone had a gunsmith do this and a rough idea of cost?

This would seem a cheaper option than having chokes fitted?

Cheers

N.

45 minutes ago, nnorman32 said:

Hi.

Having difficulty hitting a cows **** with a cricket bat at the moment.

I am right in thinking that cutting the end of a fixed choke and removing the choked section will make the new barrel a wider choke  ie: full choke to cylinder?

Also has anyone had a gunsmith do this and a rough idea of cost?

This would seem a cheaper option than having chokes fitted?

Cheers

N.

Is this a joke? How on earth did you arrive at this position? Sawing the barrels off to remove choke!? Why?..............Before butchering the gun, I suggest you get some professional advice! It's more likely to be you that is responsible for your poor marksmanship.......not the gun!

Hello

Many apologies to PW for my language.

This not a joke, simply a question as stated in the title about a gunsmith re crowning and shortening a barrel to open up the choke.

The idea of posting on the forum was so that suggestions, ideas and views on this particular issue could be  be exchanged.

N.

Possibly just a simple matter of not being able to shoot. Nothing too bad about that at all, you are in a club that out numbers the good shooters about 1000 - 1.

Before you start to alter anything material you need to start with your head, book some coaching lessons and see now they go 1st. 

Please remeber if you alter the barrel by cutting it .you will have to keep the gun for ever or destroy it if you don't want to keep it. The only option open to u if you ever want to sell it would be to have the gun reproofed at your cost .with no guarantee that it would pass .

I wouldn't have the gun cut. 

53 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Please remeber if you alter the barrel by cutting it .you will have to keep the gun for ever or destroy it if you don't want to keep it. The only option open to u if you ever want to sell it would be to have the gun reproofed at your cost .with no guarantee that it would pass .

I wouldn't have the gun cut. 

Would it require reproofing prior to selling it on? 

Had the same problem with my gun so chopped a few inches off the barrel. Did it myself with a hacksaw and filed the ends square.

Completely transformed the gun and I can hit most stuff with it now even at ranges that surprise me.

This was probably 30 years ago and I still have the gun and can still hit things with it. Gun was worth very little before hand and that hasn't changed much as a result of my modifying (or butchering and you lot call it). :)

7 hours ago, J D Hunter said:

Interesting.., care to elaborate on your interpretation/understanding of information that a shotgun isn't rendered out of proof by shortening it? We're here to learn and/or share afterall :)

As Daf and Scully have said above, if you take away a piece of the barrel completely it does not alter the proof as you cannot test what you have removed, but if you remove metal from the barrels, i.e. you ream out a choke it should be reproofed before selling.

Hence shortening a barrel within the usual constraints, min 24" barrel is not a proofing matter!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Making it easy to understand

14 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

but if you remove metal from the barrels, i.e. you ream out a choke it should be reproofed before selling.

If you believe this; there are a lot of gunmakers and gunsmiths in this country who are regularly breaking the law concerning the rules of proof !. While some forms of barrel work does require re-proof, regulating or easing the chokes is not classed as structually weakening the barrel(s).