Gun Cabinet Requirememts,

redial

I've never been asked what type of bolts I'm using.

It's not even compulsory to have a cabinet, but since the police seem bent on making up the gun laws as they go along we have to satisfy them that our security is sufficient. Some of the FEOs though are much more realistic than their chiefs about the fact that if serious criminals want to take the guns there's not much we can do to stop them without spending thousands on major security equipment.

I live in a relatively modern house which has thermal blocks, I tried using rawl bolts all they did was crumble the wall, no real bite, ended up with 12mm + holes which my only option was to chemically fix studs which to be fair is the strongest way, Could of used plastic plugs with coach bolts maybe but I've had them turn in the wall before whilst doing them up, but as said if anyone wanted to remove it from the wall not much u could do, plus who wants to carry a safe when u could just use a cordless grinder and cut your way in and take the guns......

It’s covered in the Home office guidance on the firearms act, while security is the responsibility of the certificate holder the chief officer of police must be satisfied that the applicant can be permitted to have the firearm(s)/ammunition in their possession without danger to the public safety or to the peace.

Meaning the chief officer of police must be satisfied that your security is adequate to stop unauthorised persons accessing your firearms. If they are not then they are required by law to revoke or not issue your certificate.

This risk assessment of your security is at the whim of the  FEO and the force he works for.

GMP never really bothered with the fixings in all my previous renewals but after a full review of the department they are now doing it by the home office guidance and to BS7558, the recommendations are for expanding bolts, chemical anchors or toggle bolts.

BS7558 which is the British standards for gun cabinets, states the type of bolts acceptable and the plastic friction type are not acceptable.

The requirement for size is :- at least 4 fixing holes to take not less than 10mm diameter fastening devices. The holes to be spaced to provide maximum binding of cabinet to structure.

I know for a fact if my FEO doesn’t see 4 x M10 bolt heads or threaded bar and sees a screws he will knock it back regardless (happened to a mate) and at my last renewal he made me expose the bolt heads for inspection.

A different force and FEO might not even bother, but all it takes is for one department review and next home visit you will have to change fixings or go to court to get a ruling on your security .

31 minutes ago, Neverforget said:

I stuck my first one on the tiled wall with silicone , thought we won't be moving how wrong was I lol

It was a pain in the backside took the tiles off the wall and about 30 mins to take down 

I did similar, to ensure the holes lined up I used Sikaflex to secure it to the wall while I drilled the holes.

It's secured it alright,