honda crv

pigeonbasher1

Have a 56 plate CRV. Had it 18 months and done 30k trouble free miles. Its done 125k in total and drives like a new car. Low 40s MPG.

told they are not great off road but im yet to get stuck. I use it as my fishing car so back seats are always down, plenty of room and tows well.

I have a diesel 06. Has been mechanically good for the 4 years I've owned it, until past month when a few bits went at the same time. 

I tend to keep hold of cars and run them into the ground before replacing (only had 3 cars in 20 years driving). I won't replace with another crv, or crv type. My biggest gripe is lack of boot space. It just isn't up to the challenge of family / dog / leisure gear chuck it in the boot and let's go type vehicle I was after. 

Realised that there is no 'one car for all scenarios' vehicle, and the crv doesn't do any one job well. For the boot space and family adventure vehicle I want, my next car will be a van. 

I just sold an 11 plate that I bought 18 months old and used it lots off road. Great traction with lots of electronic stuff to keep it going. Ultimately poor tyres and ground clearance let it down. Eventually it started making very strange noises when running and i found that the space between the engine, gearbox and bulkhead was jammed with mud and stones :lol:. Now bought a disco sport for the wife but expect to miss the reliability.

I had a Y2K one that was seriously reliable and a very good ride for my 6 feet height after I raised the seat about 40mm. 

Bad points for a tall shooter though: Seat is a bit low, front doors (no 5 door variants) are very narrow causing two issues for me: Kept banging my knee on the dash getting into it because the seats also don't have much rake - and if you shoot out the window the short length of the door is very restrictive - and I couldnt focus a scope while the rifle forestock was on the door mirror bracket. Could'nt believe Honda was stupid enough to reduce ground clearance by routing the exhaust pipe underneath the prop shaft.

The vertically challenged other half - who likes smaller cars wasn't very happy about me changing it for an X-trail but that is so much better for me and still does what she needs from a car so it does what we both want if she sits on a cushion.

Both use about the same petrol but the 2.5 X-trail has a higher tax band. The panoramic sunroof of the X-Trail is much better positioned for accompanied lamping from the car.

Edited by Dave-G

I think that they are 2 wheel drive until the sensors detect slip - then the other 2 wheels receive drive. A friend of mines wife owns the Gallardo that Hammond tested on Top Gear ( she lent the show the car as it's a rare manual) but she drives a CRV by choice and loves it.

Edited by bruno22rf

Yes they drive in 2 wheel mode (saving fuel  and tyres ) 

And when there is any slip from 1 or 2 front wheels the rears kick in straight away almost immediately and you have full 4x4 .until the slip stops. 

It's a great system and often thought as not effective or as good as a permanent 4 wheel drive .the reality is. Unless your climbing rocks in Nevada. It's more than good enough for a wet /muddy field  (see UK weather and most likely uses )

Bought one off a friend, he was trading it  in, only offered  a £1000, so sold it to me for the same price ! 04, 96,000 miles full service history, drives really nice, fitted AT2  on it and be surprised where its gone, if had a couple of more inches ground clearance be fantastic, also if the tailgate opens to the side, great standing in the back , shooting off the roof.

On 23/12/2017 at 22:28, pigeonbasher1 said:

iv'e gone and done it, honda crv 2.2 diesel 05 140k ONE owner   checked mot history online before deal, passed every mot its ever had, drives like new, happy bunny

I have one of the last 2.2 diesels, on a 63 plate. My second crv, both have had all the bells and whistles on them and both have been superb motors. On the downside,  Uncomfortable sitting on tailgate to put on boots/waders, sick of water down me neck from the lift up tailgate, when wet. Also I miss the totally flat floor of the X Trail. I can reach 45 mpg on a run, from that nippy 2.2 engine.

I`ve got an 02 plate mk 2 CRV 2ltr petrol automatic sport now with 90,000 on the clock.

It`s off road ability is better than you`d think but it is not, of course, a Landrover.

It`s always passed it`s MOT and with the sport engine is more nippy than my wifes 63 plate mk 3 CRV. It`s a pleasure to drive and at 15 years of age, still drives like a new car. It tows well and takes all the pigeon/wildfowling/fishing kit I care to cram in it. Thoroughly recommended.

I was a guest at a small pheasant shoot last year at which all eight of the guns drove older CRV`s. As they explained. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, good enough across country but still comfortable enough on a long drive to the shoot.