Deadbolting your rifle

17 minutes ago, super sharp shooter said:

He puts the round in the chamber and puts the bolt down. So all he has to do is lift the bolt handle up to activate the pin. 

Baybe its it’s not called deadbolting 

He puts the round in the chamber and closes the bolt whilst pulling the trigger to make it like fired ?

If so he’s an idiot. Apologies if I am wrong.

Just now, old man said:

A primary rule, never rely on the safety catch?

So I was told and believe.

+1.... muzzle awareness at all times, unload when required etc.....but walking round with one in the chamber, firing pin resting on a live round and no safety on????  All needs to happen is a bump or trip. Makes me cold thinking about it.

I have seen people do just that but didn't recognise the verbal description.  My question is, why?  Your rifle has a safety catch, but has been said  ..muzzle awareness at all times.

When stalking with a guide, I would press the rounds down and slide the bolt forward on an empty chamber. Then feed a round just before needing to shoot.

I have hunted with a single shot break open for the last 30yrs and yes, I have a cartridge in the chamber when on my own but again if I am following a guide I have the chamber empty unless he indicates otherwise, then doubly aware of where my rifle is pointing.

I cannot see how the idea is any more dangerous than a rifle cocked on a safety catch to be honest.

1 hour ago, moor man said:

+1.... muzzle awareness at all times, unload when required etc.....but walking round with one in the chamber, firing pin resting on a live round and no safety on????  All needs to happen is a bump or trip. Makes me cold thinking about it.

That's the way I understand it, any sharp bump and the rifle could fire.

It also has essentially bypassed the safety catch as the firing pin is already in the fired position so doesn't need to move as its already forward all it needs is a bump

The way u describe it they're is no way I wold be closing the bolt and squezzing the trigger on a live round

It may depend on the make of rifle thou, I think that Blasers and possibly some other rifles it is possibly to 'de cock' the bolt and I have also heard of some safety's that somehow blocks the  bullet primer rather than locking the firing pin 

I have seen this done on BRNO/CZ .22 RF rifles - you keep the trigger pulled as you move the bolt forwards so the firing pin simply rests on the rim of the round - to cock the gun you then just have to lift the bolt and drop it again. Cannot really see any advantages over a safety catch but I'm guessing that a sharp knock on the rear of the firing pin will discharge the round.

my ruger has a 2 stage safety

stage one safety on trigger can,t be pulled

stage 2 trigger can,t be pulled and the bolt is locked in the closed position

the way I carry if accompanied is empty chamber safety on stage 2   so the bolt can not be operated without physically disengaging the safety 2 clicks then opening bolt and chamber round

the old saying you can never be too careful especially applies to al firearms    I.M.H.O  

It's not a recommended practice.   Whilst the probability is that it would be highly unlikely for even a sharp bump to set the primer off as it takes quite a strike to force the primer case onto the primer anvil, the fact remains, someone is walking about with a round chambered on a CF, no means of making intrinsically safe and complacency can set in.  If you have to lift the bolt to cock the mechanism, then it is hardly much more effort to chamber a round from the magazine which is intrinsically safer.  It is probably better practice to have a round chambered, rifle cocked and safety applied than having a "dead bolt" with the firing pin up against the primer.  I have no issues stalking with people who carry a rifle with a chambered round providing the the safety is applied and that they practice good muzzle awareness at all times.  When shooting deer like Munty, sometimes all you get is a very quick window of opportunity so rifle up, safety off and squeeze the trigger.  All of this pre-supposes good backstops and that the shot is safe to take.

Edited by Savhmr

4 hours ago, super sharp shooter said:

He puts the round in the chamber and puts the bolt down. So all he has to do is lift the bolt handle up to activate the pin.

Baybe its it’s not called deadbolting 

People have been doing it for years, mostly older stalkers, each time someone explains it to me it never sounds any safer than the last time.

it is done a lot over in Europe. safety really only stops the bolt opening, unless you have a firing pin locking type safety. i can see their point on it but then i can also see other problems happening. most of our shooting is the stalk and we have time to slip a quite round in if your climbing fences and hedges. over there its more of see it shoot it.

each to their own and all that but im happy slipping a quite one in.

I’ve got a steyr with the SBS system which is about as safe as it gets without keeping the bullets out of the gun. Even with one up the spout. So you’ve got live, safe so the trigger can’t be pulled and then safe with firing pin out of alignment so in the event that the firing pin somehow managed to discharge whilst safe it wouldn’t physically be able to strike the primer. Still if you haven’t got a bullet in the breech you can’t accidentally discharge it can you. Even if you decide to use it to hammer nails into a fence post ?