Barking Dogs

Walker570

We have a dog next door which barks continuously for three hours solid. It is brought here by a family member, obviously because he cannot leave it at his home when he goes to work.

Anyone on here used one of those bark stoppers ...no I don't mean a 30-06 ..one of the number of electronic ones advertised, if so how good are they?

On edit, yes we have spoken but might as well been to a blank wall.

Edited by Walker570

1st option is to speak to your neighbours if you can.  If that fails then a more formal route via the local council is needed. It's a long process and could mean you and your neighbours falling out

Our lab is now 9 months old, it did bark a little but we used to shoot him every time with a water pistol, no words and no eye contact. Now when he does bark for any reason we literally mess ourselves, it's so unusual you jump out of your skin. 

Yes, we have spoken and it is difficult because we are good friends/neighbours and they are shooting people.  I see these little electronic boxes advertised which you can set up and when a dog barks it sends some sort of high pitched noise only dogs can hear which is said to annoy the dog and stop it barking. The best one reading reviews, which has the range required, is about £70 but if we could get some peace it would be worth it.  It is just the one dog, which winds up all the others they have which are normally quiet unless a visitor comes.

Tough one this. I had a cocker once that for some reason just started barking at the slightest little thing and at the time we were having a problem with my neighbor as we were building a Extention which he had objected against from the start. Now my dogs were walked regularly and told off for barking and I tried one of the barking collers and it made her neck go funny so that went in the bin. I was at my wits end as I understand it’s really annoying I just didn’t no how to stop it.but one day I was at home just get my little girl to sleep as she was a baby at the time and I looked out of the window as the dog started barking and a pigeon fell behind the fence of the kennel and I saw my neighbor shoot back in his house with a air rifle in his hand as he new I had saw him. So I went straight round to have a word about the law and he is causing the dog to bark so obviously it went down like a ? sandwich where a lot of words were exchanged and threats made but I kept my cool but never backed down and it stopped and he put the house on the market a week later and the dog stopped barking. Sometimes you just have to try and have a polite conversation but expect the friendship to be strained but I know it’s really annoying dog barking but from being on the other side I didn’t like people talking behind my back more 

• 3 weeks later...

If he is a friend and a shooting man then this is simple to stop.

When the dog barks say nothing throw a container of water at him, try make sure he dosent see it coming ( shock factor ) also make sure its a good drenching 

if done correctly he will only need to do it a couple of times. 

E collar is defiantly not the way,( unless the dog has been conditioned for an e collar )  that is going to create more problems.

good old fashioned cold water and the element of surprise will cure this. and you wont have to fall out with your friend. 

Most dogs barking continuously are doing it out of boredom and lack of exercise (if there isn't something provoking them e.g. a cat or child). I normally find very active/working breed dogs are the worst offenders as they're bought be clueless individuals as pets on housing estates and they don't have the time/inclination to give them the level of exercise they need. If that seems to be the case its extremely unlikely you're going to be able to persuade someone to change their lifestyle habits so the only option I can see is to keep a noise record to take to the council with the end aim of having the dog taken off them. :/

Our lab sometimes barks if shes left at home for a few hours. It tends to be if the curtains move and she sees someone walking past (we always close curtains) have to say the e-collars work great. Its the only thing that will stop her barking but she hasn't warn it for months as shes been fine and our neighbour will let us know if shes been barking and we'll either not leave her or use the collar for a few hours IF she had been barking. We leave it on the bark setting which will beep, carries on barking, vibrate and then carries on, shock. Shes only warn it once while left and never done it again, our neighbours luckily very understanding and lets us know. 

Ours gets enough exercise, just likes the own sound of her voice sometimes as barks alot in general. 

A chap at our shoot uses a e-collar on his kenneled dogs, he said they've all warn it once and it stopped them as he'll just give them one single shock and they never do it again. 

Edited by Pigeonshooter22