Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 - Stock Care

ADT06

Hi all,

Certificate finally landed on the door matt on Monday with a bit of polite chasing. Picked up a brand new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting Adjustable for a good price from McAvoy Guns.

I’ve heard that the matt finish on the Silver Pigeons can be a little sensitive, especially to rain. I also can’t really tell if it’s an oil finish or some type of sprayed varnish.

What is the best way way to protect the wood? I’ve had my eye on CCL conditioning oil which is meant for existing oil finishes, but how will it react with the Silver Pigeon finish with not being able to tell if its oil or varnish.

Also seen Birchwood Casey Wax which obviously will help with waterproofing, but again unsure how it will react with the Beretta finish.

Thanks in adavance for any help/advice. 

Adam

3871AFA3-3373-44BD-9938-1CE535513386.jpeg.0be9012c5feefc9695a4f1d1025e7ff9.jpeg

3080260A-F471-400F-9B43-4AAF870946DA.jpeg.617e59ebfe65073b5192af9103aba786.jpeg

8C706E73-3D04-4E7D-ADA1-5DC7F9B1B10E.jpeg.5ceb546218000c84bd6f92257bf87bd4.jpeg

I've tried the CCL product on several Berettas ( 2x 682, and a DT10 )

It does not provide protection to rain / showers.

I'm currently in the process of trying 'Cabinet Makers Wax' hoping for better weatherproofing.

If I fail to find acceptable results, then I'll send all 3 guns to my favourite stock fella for a strip and spray finish.

Cabinet makers wax.jpg

Edited by MR. BROWN

Beeswax based polish will be easiest to use you need it to contain Carbanna wax if you want a shine to it.   

7 hours ago, Tford said:

Furniture polish, I've always used it. Doesn't alter finish and doesnt soak into the wood in any damaging way that oil can eventually.

Atb 

Tford

Stock oil will not damage walnut whatever anyone says but mineral oil I.E. gun oil will very quickly