which hmr round is best?

Hello all i just wanted to ask you which 17hmr do you think is best for taking rabbits with to the best of my memory i think so far there is speer tnt hollow points 17grain and hornady v-max 17grain also there is 20 grain hornady xtp bullets which would you lads rate out of your vast experience :blink: as the best for rabbits?

Hello all i just wanted to ask you which 17hmr do you think is best for taking rabbits with to the best of my memory i think so far there is speer tnt hollow points 17grain and hornady v-max 17grain also there is 20 grain hornady xtp bullets which would you lads rate out of your vast experience :blink: as the best for rabbits?

I currently use remingtons because I can't get Hornady V max - which group just a little bit better in my Quad.

hello been using remington v max 17 gr through my cz and cant fault them

I use Hornady Varmint 17gr V-Max through my CZ American and they seem to have been the most accurate. I tried the CCI TNT's, the Remy's, The Hornady 20gr XTP and the Federals but none were as good as the V-Max, which is a pity as I can get an abundance of the other's :good::good:

I have been advised on the S&B's 17gr(green tips) but if it ain't broke (give it to me - i'll break the :good: :look: )

Federal Premium V-Shok Hornady 17grn v-max poly tip :look:

My CZ doesn't seem to like the 20grn gamepoints, or the Federal hollowpoints.

Strange really, they all come out of the same CCI factory :mad:

thanks for the replies lads :good: I have just been out shooting rabbits there this evening pin and i was using federal v-shock balistic tips i had no problem with accuracy i shot 15 rabbits with 19 bullets and it was a bit windy but my last shot i took i hit a rabbit and tryed to reload another round quickly to try for his mate sitting beside him but the empty case would not eject :good::good: That was the end of my shooting went home took ages to get it out but eventualy got it out with a knife i examined the case and found a full length split from the neck to the rim looked at a few emptys and found another the same :oops: last time im using federals that is just not on.I usually use hornady v-max and never had a fault with them.Did this ever happen to anyone before?

i just get a small split on the shoulder of the case never a full lenght one, it dosent affect accuracy tho mine stays spot on. have put a box of fereral thru mine same aim as hornadys didnt notice any bad cracks have another box left yet

All "brass" is made by CCI, CCI themselves admit to a batch of weak "brass", there was a thread on here about it and an article in sporting shooter which covered the same thing.

I believe the problem is that the cases can't be annealed once the primer has been added, so they need to be just right or they split.

Other than them possibly sticking in the breach they are safe in the rifle apparently, can't blame you for not wanting to use those again but know this, they all come from the same place so anything within that batch be it branded CCI, Hornady, Federal, etc will suffer the same problem.

Federal Premium V-Shok Hornady 17grn v-max poly tip :look:

My CZ doesn't seem to like the 20grn gamepoints, or the Federal hollowpoints.

Strange really, they all come out of the same CCI factory :mad:

thanks for the replies lads :good: I have just been out shooting rabbits there this evening pin and i was using federal v-shock balistic tips i had no problem with accuracy i shot 15 rabbits with 19 bullets and it was a bit windy but my last shot i took i hit a rabbit and tryed to reload another round quickly to try for his mate sitting beside him but the empty case would not eject :good::good: That was the end of my shooting went home took ages to get it out but eventualy got it out with a knife i examined the case and found a full length split from the neck to the rim looked at a few emptys and found another the same :oops: last time im using federals that is just not on.I usually use hornady v-max and never had a fault with them.Did this ever happen to anyone before?

iv'e used v shok and now just started with hornady v max and i do my best to lift any cases after me and havn't noticed any split,

All "brass" is made by CCI, CCI themselves admit to a batch of weak "brass", there was a thread on here about it and an article in sporting shooter which covered the same thing.

I believe the problem is that the cases can't be annealed once the primer has been added, so they need to be just right or they split.

Other than them possibly sticking in the breach they are safe in the rifle apparently, can't blame you for not wanting to use those again but know this, they all come from the same place so anything within that batch be it branded CCI, Hornady, Federal, etc will suffer the same problem.

Any nearly every box of cci i use i get a couple of split cases its a bit of a pain in the rear as any hornadys i use never split and i have fired hundreds.Its one thing a little split on the neck but when you start getting full length splits and jammed cases it gets annoying :good:

I've used both Hornady and CCI and never had a split case. I use the CCI Gamepoint 20 grain because they spoil less meat on rabbits, and probably penetrate better on the occasional fox.

yeah id imagine the gamepoints do a lot less meat damage than the v-max tips but meat damage does not really concern me a whole lot as the rabbits i shoot end up as dogfood for an army of dogs a mate of mine has.I dont know why it is but every box of cci bullets i use have about five split cases.I pick up all my emptys so id notice them a lot more.The cz american i had before my marlin had split cases to.Maybe all the dodgy batches of cci ammo are sent to Ireland :good:

all the brass may come from one place but who puts the powder in them?

My friend has a .17HMR and the Hornady stuff is the best through his. He gets lots of split necks with the other brands.

cant be good for extreme accuracy.

Split cases/necks could be an oversized chamber - no?

it can be but does seem to vary dependant on brand in some guns. I had the first federal I put through mine split 3/4 the way down it and jam but thats the only one I've had. Split necks seems to be because the round is crimped down so hard and doesn't seem to affect performance. Having said that I've not seen one with mine and thats always Hornady or federal depending what my dealer has in

Split cases/necks could be an oversized chamber - no?

That was my thinking stuart if there was zero tolerance in the chamber the round should not have enough room to expand so much as to cause the round to split.Id say the hornady rounds are loaded in a slightly different manner because i never had a single split case with them its always cci's or federals.As vegeta said it cant aid in 100% accuracy but as long as my groups dont get larger than an inch i dont mind what does **** me off big time is jammed rounds and having to go home to get the case out of the chamber :lol: They are expensive enough you would think they would be made properly :lol:

my thinking on this is as folows.

Isn't the .17HMR a necked down .22wmr. If so then CCI could be selling them as pre-primed .22wmr cases.

Then each compnay necks the round themselves and then loads the powder and bullet.

Now obviously Hornady are doing this better than the others as there are no split cases coming from them. My friend has been seing the exact same things.

Put it this way if you had a centerfire and were getting split necks you'd discontinue using that ammo immediately so I'd be doing the same with the .17HMR