Hushpower update.

aga man

Finally got a bit of time to go out with the Mossberg hushpower again this afternoon. Following some great advice off this forum, I I have improvised and raised the comb on the stock on this gun as i couldn't previously hit a barn door with it.

I quick couple of shots at some pattern cards showed an instant difference and the gun was now throwing the pattern where I pointed it.

Had lovely couple of hours in a small wood on the edge of some rape this afternoon and shot 14 pigeons and clobbered a magpie which I didn't pick. All for less than 25 shots.

I now need to make a more permanent, tidy job of the raised comb, but very happy. What a difference!

The 24 gm 7.5 cartridges did a good job at sensible ranges.

Thanks for all the advice given.

Thanks for reading.

IMG_0612.JPG

Edited by aga man

Just now, Fuddster said:

good effort there and nice to blow the cob webs off over Xmas.

There's some decent comb raising kits on the bay that feature different foam pads that fit into a neoprene type slip on cover.

glad its worked out for you.

atb

f.

Thanks fudds, yes was thinking of one of those kits.looks like the best/easiest option.

4 minutes ago, Fuddster said:

good effort there and nice to blow the cob webs off over Xmas.

There's some decent comb raising kits on the bay that feature different foam pads that fit into a neoprene type slip on cover.

glad its worked out for you.

atb

f.

What is wrong with the pipe insulation and insulating tape?

Very good. 

A good tip is get over a clay ground .with 3 different heights of comb rasing packers and shoot the same few clays with the different raisers and figure out which gives the best kills .then you know which height will suit you best for a permanent fix .

Glad it's coming together. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:47, pigeon controller said:

Well done, I modified mine with the neoprene packing and slip over which put the bead in eyeline. I've not used it much but I tend to use it on early morning sessions on the rape when requested to move the birds on and not upset the locals.

Have done the same with mine now PC looks a lot tidier and more comfortable.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:47, Rimfireboy said:

Have you considered a red dot sight? Rails for the Mossberg are on fleabay for a few quid? Also, I’m using eley hi flyer. In 20 gauge they’re subsonic, just, and the hushpower barrel will bring the speed down a bit more as well. Just a thought....

Not keen on the red dot things but have found raising the comb as helped a lot. I will look out for those cartridges. Been out with it again today and managed a dozen or so coming to roost. I was using some Hull 28gm 6, they did ok but I am looking forward to getting the 12b out again for roost shooting.

• 1 month later...

So what exactly does raising the comb height do?

I'm interested because I've got the same gun but in 12 gauge and I can't hit a cow's bum with a banjo using it!  Bought it a couple of years ago, I must have put at least 500 rounds through it so far - granted mostly at flighting/roosting pigeons so the cart/kill ration isn't going to be great - but still I know I'm at least a resonable shot with a standard 12ga and the amount I hit with the hushpower is pathetic!

After the great advice on here, I added a piece of an old small square file to the back of the barrel and a piece of foam pipe lagging on the comb under my stock sleeve. It's raised the end of the barrel and my head, lifting the POI. Works a treat, restoring my confidence in the gun. Oh by the way, the file I stuck on with black silicone.

Edited by getthegat
Added words

Bet that looks a treat!! :whistling: Still, if it does the job.......

2 hours ago, getthegat said:

After the great advice on here, I added a piece of an old small square file to the back of the barrel and a piece of foam pipe lagging on the comb under my stock sleeve. It's raised the end of the barrel and my head, lifting the POI. Works a treat, restoring my confidence in the gun. Oh by the way, the file I stuck on with black silicone.