Hushpower update.

aga man

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:22, Jim Neal said:

So what exactly does raising the comb height do?

I'm interested because I've got the same gun but in 12 gauge and I can't hit a cow's bum with a banjo using it!  Bought it a couple of years ago, I must have put at least 500 rounds through it so far - granted mostly at flighting/roosting pigeons so the cart/kill ration isn't going to be great - but still I know I'm at least a resonable shot with a standard 12ga and the amount I hit with the hushpower is pathetic!

hushpowers shoot low naturally, because the shroud covering the barrel is nearly 1 inch above the  point of aim of the actual barrel it covers so if you point straight at a static target in your eyeline the pattern will strike lower once it gets there, I reckon most  of misses will be underneath a bird unless you don't give enough lead then it will be behind and underneath it, I was terrible with my 20g husher at first then I shot a few pattern plates and it sorted it out straight away, now I,m confident with it 

Knowing virtually nothing about the gun, I just presumed they would have compensated for that with the sighting arrangement.  Maybe not!

The only thing with raising the comb height then is surely you'd have to "zero" your gun at a certain range?  Your line of sight is no longer parallel with the line of fire, but crossing it at a certain point.  So you're still going to be aiming too high or too low at closer or longer ranges.  I'd probably go for 30yds and maybe try to compensate for it at different ranges.

I'm presuming the sighting "trench" becomes obsolete raising the comb, you just usee the end sight bead

I'll try agaman's method out this afternoon then, got some pipe lagging and gaffa tape in the shed!

Edited by Jim Neal

14 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

Knowing virtually nothing about the gun, I just presumed they would have compensated for that with the sighting arrangement.  Maybe not!

The only thing with raising the comb height then is surely you'd have to "zero" your gun at a certain range?  Your line of sight is no longer parallel with the line of fire, but crossing it at a certain point.  So you're still going to be aiming too high or too low at closer or longer ranges.  I'd probably go for 30yds and maybe try to compensate for it at different ranges.

I'm presuming the sighting "trench" becomes obsolete raising the comb, you just usee the end sight bead

I'll try agaman's method out this afternoon then, got some pipe lagging and gaffa tape in the shed!

exactly that

5 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

You don't have to zero your gun at any range .by raising your head .you are now looking along the shot line 

4 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

You don't have to zero your gun at any range .by raising your head .you are now looking along the shot line 

I don't get that.  If I was previously sighting parallel with the line of fire but above it (hence the gun shooting low) and I move my eyes upwards without moving the front sight, I've introduced a downwards-angled line of sight relative to the line of fire.  At some point, that line of sight will cross the line of fire?

Anyhow, I did a bit of patterning today and discovered two reasons why my hit rate with the gun has been pretty poor.   It shoots WAY low, and I mean about 12 inches at 30yds!  Also, the pattern is extremely poor, with a very big spread and lots of gaps.  Looks to me like it needs choking.  I haven't looked yet what options if any there are for that.

So I tried the pipe lagging bodge up, and after a couple more pattern tests found pretty much the right way to get my eye down it.  At 30 yds I'm getting a reasonably on-target pattern if I line up the top ends of the "U" shaped sighting groove with the outline of the moderator tube.  That's a massive difference to how I've been mounting the gun to shoot it previously. 

Unfortunatley not much opportunity to test it out in practice as I had other plans for shooting this afternoon, but I took the hushpower and ducked into a crow roost as the light went away... unfortunatley I think due to the biting cold easterly wind the crows had decided to use a different block of woods this evening, only a couple flew over at sensible shooting range, giving the chance of just one shot.   Needless to say I missed!!

I'll persevere.

Edited by Jim Neal

47 minutes ago, Jim Neal said:

I don't get that.  If I was previously sighting parallel with the line of fire but above it (hence the gun shooting low) and I move my eyes upwards without moving the front sight, I've introduced a downwards-angled line of sight relative to the line of fire.  At some point, that line of sight will cross the line of fire?

Anyhow, I did a bit of patterning today and discovered two reasons why my hit rate with the gun has been pretty poor.   It shoots WAY low, and I mean about 12 inches at 30yds!  Also, the pattern is extremely poor, with a very big spread and lots of gaps.  Looks to me like it needs choking.  I haven't looked yet what options if any there are for that.

So I tried the pipe lagging bodge up, and after a couple more pattern tests found pretty much the right way to get my eye down it.  At 30 yds I'm getting a reasonably on-target pattern if I line up the top ends of the "U" shaped sighting groove with the outline of the moderator tube.  That's a massive difference to how I've been mounting the gun to shoot it previously. 

Unfortunatley not much opportunity to test it out in practice as I had other plans for shooting this afternoon, but I took the hushpower and ducked into a crow roost as the light went away... unfortunatley I think due to the biting cold easterly wind the crows had decided to use a different block of woods this evening, only a couple flew over at sensible shooting range, giving the chance of just one shot.   Needless to say I missed!!

I'll persevere.

hushpowers  are usually full choked as standard so you shouldn't be lacking pattern 

I forgot to say, cartridges used were eley subsonic 32g 5s. I have some of the 28g 7.5s but didn’t have them with me to compare (or really the time)

I’ll try patterning the lighter load when I get time 

How do I find out what choke level it is set up with?

How do I tell if the shot is clipping the moderator? 

Apologies, I seem to have hijacked the thread ?

Wow that's quite severe!  Haven't noticed that on mine but then again I haven't really been looking for the problem.  Will check later.

Now it's mentioned, I do recall once or twice having something rattling around inside the moderator after using the gun, could well have been a stray pellet deflected back inside.  Thought nothing of it really, the offending pellet probably fell out when I unscrewed the moderator to put the gun away and I've forgotten about it.

Edited by Jim Neal

4 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Wow that's quite severe!  Haven't noticed that on mine but then again I haven't really been looking for the problem.  Will check later.

Now it's mentioned, I do recall once or twice having something rattling around inside the moderator after using the gun, could well have been a stray pellet deflected back inside.  Thought nothing of it really, the offending pellet probably fell out when I unscrewed the moderator to put the gun away and I've forgotten about it.

The thing rattling around will almost certainly have been a bit of wad.

7 minutes ago, motty said:

The thing rattling around will almost certainly have been a bit of wad.

As the man says ........ bits of wad , empty it out on a sheet of paper and see for yourself. 

I've only ever shot fibre wads through it, if that's anything to go by.  Not sure if plastic would make the sort of noise I remember, it did sound like something small heavy and metallic.  Anyway no matter, I looked at the end of the moderator last night, nothing like the photo shown above but maybe a tiny little sign of perforation in just one place.  On the whole doesn't look like shot is catching it on the way out.

I'll pattern the 28g 7.5s at the weekend and see if there's much difference.

On 25/02/2018 at 00:55, yickdaz said:

hushpowers  are usually full choked as standard so you shouldn't be lacking pattern 

I found different cartridges gave totally different patterns at 30 yards, the Eley were buy far the best for me and the hulls worst with huge gaps, identical test.

9 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I take it you fired at least 5 carts of each and made an average conclusion from that .as opposed to the single shot method as  often seen .That's a bit like taking 1 shot with a rifle .And thinking thats exactly where all the other bullets are gonna go .

Correct, as with all my testing I am thorough as half measures are a waste of time and effort and conclude nothing