Beretta A302 manual

Jeep948

I would be looking to see WHY there appears to be insufficient gas coming back through to the piston. IF the recoil spring is weak, I would think the bolt would be flying back and colliding with the rear of the receiver. I have known the recoil spring tube to foul up with a mixture of oil, unburnt powder and general  crud, thus offering resistance to the movement rearwards of the spring.  I would be using a VERY small rat tail file in the gas ports to make sure they are free of carbon, it can become very hard and difficult to remove.  I have used a 1/8" drill to clean them out in the past BUT, I did one hole at a time and tried the gun in between drillings.   Do NOT attempt this unless you are confident enough to carry it out though, rather let a gunsmith do it for you.  

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sishyplops said:

That is gas related, its not enough gas feeding back, need to get close ups on firing, unfortunately the camera is 6' away and you hand cycle the  gun before we can see anything, get the camera close and fire then keep the camera close, so we can see what is going on, the 2nd vid is better, defo gas related in my opinion but may still be week recoil Spring 

No worries. Will try and get another done tomorrow. ?

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I would be looking to see WHY there appears to be insufficient gas coming back through to the piston. IF the recoil spring is weak, I would think the bolt would be flying back and colliding with the rear of the receiver. I have known the recoil spring tube to foul up with a mixture of oil, unburnt powder and general  crud, thus offering resistance to the movement rearwards of the spring.  I would be using a VERY small rat tail file in the gas ports to make sure they are free of carbon, it can become very hard and difficult to remove.  I have used a 1/8" drill to clean them out in the past BUT, I did one hole at a time and tried the gun in between drillings.   Do NOT attempt this unless you are confident enough to carry it out though, rather let a gunsmith do it for you.  

I think that if it needs to get to that level of repair i will just get it to a gunsmith TBH, Rather avoid that if possible but wouldn't want to go to the extent of drilling etc.

It would be ideal if anyone had the same gun near me that i could try swapping parts to eliminate bit by bit.

10 minutes ago, Jeep948 said:

I think that if it needs to get to that level of repair i will just get it to a gunsmith TBH, Rather avoid that if possible but wouldn't want to go to the extent of drilling etc.

It would be ideal if anyone had the same gun near me that i could try swapping parts to eliminate bit by bit.

Where abouts are you? 

Not that I'd be willing to put parts of my healthy 302 in your dodgy one ? but might shed some light doing a side by side comparison. 

Im in essex btw. 

1 minute ago, Me matt said:

Where abouts are you? 

Not that I'd be willing to put parts of my healthy 302 in your dodgy one ? but might shed some light doing a side by side comparison. 

Im in essex btw. 

I suppose things like the barrel etc is what would be good to try from a working gun as that would be an easy thing to check and either fix or eliminate.

I am away up in the Scottish Borders so you are safe enough :) 

I believe that you have already quoted the reason above.  "It had been laid up since last spring", that alone can cause any oil/powder/carbon mixture in the gas ports to go rock hard. Cut a piece of wire coat hanger about 8" long, if you do not fancy the drill, then ream out the holes in the barrel with the wire coathanger.  Remove the bolt assembly and spray some 85 stuff into the hole that the rat tail bit fits into. Use a long screwdriver to press the 'plunger' back and forth to ensure that is free. If the seller is saying that the gun worked fine before he sold it and is prepared to have a look at it himself, I would suggest the probable cause is the gun not being too clean,  prior to being allowed to stand unused for some time.

1 hour ago, Jeep948 said:

I suppose things like the barrel etc is what would be good to try from a working gun as that would be an easy thing to check and either fix or eliminate.

I am away up in the Scottish Borders so you are safe enough :) 

I would be more than willing to let you swap whatever you liked from my 303, BUT I am in West Lancs area, a fair hike away

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Blimey, 4 pages!:rolleyes:

BUT, we still have the problem  !   :unhappy:

12 hours ago, Westley said:

I believe that you have already quoted the reason above.  "It had been laid up since last spring", that alone can cause any oil/powder/carbon mixture in the gas ports to go rock hard. Cut a piece of wire coat hanger about 8" long, if you do not fancy the drill, then ream out the holes in the barrel with the wire coathanger.  Remove the bolt assembly and spray some 85 stuff into the hole that the rat tail bit fits into. Use a long screwdriver to press the 'plunger' back and forth to ensure that is free. If the seller is saying that the gun worked fine before he sold it and is prepared to have a look at it himself, I would suggest the probable cause is the gun not being too clean,  prior to being allowed to stand unused for some time.

I have cleared the holes the other day there using a piece of wire & ran them through again yesterday, is there a specific diameter that these holes should be? So if i have not cleared them enough i.e. not made them big enough so therefore not enough pressure to recoil?

I stripped the spring assembly out completely including part 12 in the schematic posted earlier in the thread, I cleaned it all again and worked the spring back & forth which seems to be free.

The gun was pretty clean when i got it, there was build up/carbon in the two holes mentioned but the rest of the gun wasn't dirty.

11 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

another thing that can cause bother is the cartridge magazine tube where it has the crimp this some times is swollen  and will slow the tube that slides over it pushing the breach back   under gas pressure

I'll Check that again but from recollection it all moved freely enough when i was checking it yesterday.

Well the gun is now working, it was gas related after all...... It had the wrong piston in the gun, it turns out that the previous owner had mixed it up with the piston from his 20g when cleaning both guns last time they were out together.

I simply swapped them around and test fired it and all is good now.

Thanks for all the feedback and help on this, i certainly now know how to strip the gun down and know far more about maintaining it than i would otherwise have.

:yahoo: 

18 minutes ago, Jeep948 said:

Well the gun is now working, it was gas related after all...... It had the wrong piston in the gun, it turns out that the previous owner had mixed it up with the piston from his 20g when cleaning both guns last time they were out together.

I simply swapped them around and test fired it and all is good now.

Thanks for all the feedback and help on this, i certainly now know how to strip the gun down and know far more about maintaining it than i would otherwise have.

:yahoo: 

Congrats ? after all that cleaning I bet it throws the empties into the next county ?