checking zero

wascal

2 hours ago, wascal said:

The last time I was at the range we were shooting at 600yrds when the skies opened , we  packed up and went home .

I cant for the life of me remember if I reset the scope  to 100yrds

anyone got any quick tips to check where I left the scope set to?

Oh  NO !!!!!, you cant use your rifle again now because you dont know where your point of impact is going to be. Best take it to a competent rifle smith or a firearms trainer. 

just kidding, bore sight it. and next time remember to put it back on zero. 

On 12/27/2017 at 11:31, wascal said:

The last time I was at the range we were shooting at 600yrds when the skies opened , we  packed up and went home .

I cant for the life of me remember if I reset the scope  to 100yrds

anyone got any quick tips to check where I left the scope set to?

You asked for a quick tip, ready for it.

Go shoot it

Lmao

3 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I made these little "washers" a while ago just for this reason. I use them like feeler gauges to set the turret to a know zero, both elevation and windage. It's reassuring to know your going to be on the target before you lob one down range.

Snap_2017.12.28_19h47m25s_002.png

There isn't much in it with the 284 - quite impressive!

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 13:53, 1066 said:

I made these little "washers" a while ago just for this reason. I use them like feeler gauges to set the turret to a know zero, both elevation and windage. It's reassuring to know your going to be on the target before you lob one down range.

Snap_2017.12.28_19h47m25s_002.png

I hope you don't mind if I use this thank you in advance.

? 6 inches? We’ve all been known to stretch the truth but my 6 inches is different to yours!

Had a quick play with the hornady ballistic calculator online. Shooting a 158gr bullet at 2800fps, a ballistic coefficient of .5 and 100yd zero. At 600yds your looking at 86/87 inches of drop. At 250yds you’ve got 7.5 inches of drop. 

49 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

? 6 inches? We’ve all been known to stretch the truth but my 6 inches is different to yours!

Had a quick play with the hornady ballistic calculator online. Shooting a 158gr bullet at 2800fps, a ballistic coefficient of .5 and 100yd zero. At 600yds your looking at 86/87 inches of drop. At 250yds you’ve got 7.5 inches of drop. 

Try it, it works. Been doing it for over 40 years, A 7.62 rifle sighted at 600 yds will print 6 3/4" high at 100yds. That's how you set up the sights on a target rifle using the zero range at Bisley.  

49 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I don`t see where wascal has published what calibre or bullet weight he was using?

He didn’t but I’d anticipate he’s talking about a larger calibre rather than a .22 so I took as an example a 308 load. 

Vince I’ll have a go at that when I get the 308 up and running. Sounds like a quick and easy trick. Although I wouldn’t have anywhere to shoot out to 600yds!

18 hours ago, old06 said:

I hope you don't mind if I use this thank you in advance.

Be my guest and I hope you find it useful. - I've made them for both my 6BR and 6.5-284 for use with my standard load. It's easy, after a successful days shooting, to measure the position of the turrets with either a caliper or a stack of feeler gauges. Simple machining to part off exactly the right thickness, these were 1" aluminium.

7 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

He didn’t but I’d anticipate he’s talking about a larger calibre rather than a .22 so I took as an example a 308 load. 

Vince I’ll have a go at that when I get the 308 up and running. Sounds like a quick and easy trick. Although I wouldn’t have anywhere to shoot out to 600yds!

Where are you? I can arrange for you to shoot at Bisley  with us as a probationary member of our club. Its perfectly legal as long as you do the requisite paperwork and can tick the appropriate boxes

Edited by Vince Green

8 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Try it, it works. Been doing it for over 40 years, A 7.62 rifle sighted at 600 yds will print 6 3/4" high at 100yds. That's how you set up the sights on a target rifle using the zero range at Bisley.  

I am using a 308 

this is the info / tip I'm after ,

As long as i know I won't go over the target , i'll just try a couple and the difference  should be obvious

Thanks guys

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 20:54, wascal said:

I am using a 308 

this is the info / tip I'm after ,

As long as i know I won't go over the target , i'll just try a couple and the difference  should be obvious

Thanks guys

I would check that with a ballistics calculator - The zero range at Bisley is only about 25 yards (71'7"). Just guessing your velocity, BC, bullet weight etc I would think you are looking more like 16" high at 100 yards.

4 hours ago, 1066 said:

I would check that with a ballistics calculator - The zero range at Bisley is only about 25 yards (71'7"). Just guessing your velocity, BC, bullet weight etc I would think you are looking more like 16" high at 100 yards.

No its not, the diffence between 25 yds and 100 yds with a 7.62 doesn't even register visibly on the target, its less than the size of the group. But even if it was 16" a target frame is a 6ft board so you would still be on the target. 

Work out how many clicks you would have to put on a rifle to shoot 16" high?  That's more than the elevation to get out to 1200 yds.

You can work it out, the elevation for 600yds is a bit less than half a degree.  

Edited by Vince Green

No it's not what Vince?  The Bisley zero range isn't 25 yards?  .. I think if you set your sights to strike 6.5 inches high at 100 yards with a 7.62 x51 the bullet would hit the ground at around 350 yards and be hitting the mantle below the target at 600 .  From 100 to 600 yards you would need to come up around 16 minutes (32 or 64 clicks) This would print about 16 inches high at 100 yards. To change the sights from 100 to 1000 would be around 42 minutes. Run the figures through a calculator.