Fleas

12gauge82

Yes. They have been bad this year. Tried the stuff from the pet shops and they didn't touch them. 

Went to the vets (due yearly jabs anyway) and he said it had been a bad year for them.

He gave me 2 tablets 1 to be taken straight away and the second after 28 days. They were gone after a day and been clear now since September so I guess they work.

The whole bill including the inoculations & worming tablets was about £35 which seemed good value to me.

If you go to a vet, you need to say what and when other treatments were given to avoid overdosing  which can be fatal. 

19 minutes ago, Paul1440 said:

Yes. They have been bad this year. Tried the stuff from the pet shops and they didn't touch them. 

Went to the vets (due yearly jabs anyway) and he said it had been a bad year for them.

He gave me 2 tablets 1 to be taken straight away and the second after 28 days. They were gone after a day and been clear now since September so I guess they work.

The whole bill including the inoculations & worming tablets was about £35 which seemed good value to me.

If you go to a vet, you need to say what and when other treatments were given to avoid overdosing  which can be fatal. 

You don't know what the tablet was called by any chance? Someone mentioned a tablet that does combined flea and tick that is new on the market and he said it worked great, also lasts longer than a month I beleive but he couldn't remember what it was called and said he'd ask his vet next time he went.

4 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

You don't know what the tablet was called by any chance? Someone mentioned a tablet that does combined flea and tick that is new on the market and he said it worked great, also lasts longer than a month I beleive but he couldn't remember what it was called and said he'd ask his vet next time he went.

Unfortunately  I've thrown the box away. 

It'll be prescription  only though. 

My GWP is very susceptible to mange she’s just after picking it up again before Christmas all under her back legs and under tail area. Have had her to the vets and she’s got injection, drops and steroids.

She has had it before vet puts it down to being the runt of the litter and not having had enough antibodies passed from the mother to her. She’s 11 now, any ideas on what else I should be giving her to build up her immune system.

been using bovine  ivermectin for years approved in the usa but not uk for use on dogs kills heart and lung worm inc mange and all skin blood suckers local farm supply shops about £15 a litre  lasts forever approx. 2.5 to 3 ml every month back of the neck shoulder blades so they cant lick it , depending on dog kg weight other than that Tesco own flea killer  works pretty good frontline has had the main ingredients changed a few years back does not do the job but still charges top dollar 

Edited by Saltings

17 hours ago, Saltings said:

been using bovine  ivermectin for years approved in the usa but not uk for use on dogs kills heart and lung worm inc mange and all skin blood suckers local farm supply shops about £15 a litre  lasts forever approx. 2.5 to 3 ml every month back of the neck shoulder blades so they cant lick it , depending on dog kg weight other than that Tesco own flea killer  works pretty good frontline has had the main ingredients changed a few years back does not do the job but still charges top dollar 

Careful with Ivermectin some breeds of dogs are sensitive to it and it can kill. This is especially important for breeds like Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties), Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, English Shepherds, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and mutts that might be derived from these breeds.

Edited by loriusgarrulus