Wildfowling Season To Date

JJsDad

I can`t seem to find it now, but was browsing replies to a topic a day or so back, and saw a comment from a Norfolk fowler regarding the shortage of ducks this year. I shoot an area of Kent marsh with a small syndicate (6), the area has some fairly large deep ponds and has some low lying marsh areas that produces flashes when we have had several days of heavy rain. The lack of continous rain this year has resulted in the area remaing dry and whereas we have regularly seen geese passing over of a morning, they do not tend to use the ponds, prefering the flashes that have not materialised. However our returns for duck have been abysmal. Whereas last year we had large numbers of Wigeon using the area from early September onward, this year has been a disaster. 4 of us were out Christmas eve and only 1 guy saw a duck, to make matters worse he missed !  The few Wigeon that we saw early in the season seem to have moved off somewhere else and not returned.

Is it just our area, or are others finding it hard going this year ?

For me personally, it has been a fantastic season for the geese. When I have targeted ducks, I have generally been able to shoot a few. Some marshes have been loaded with ducks, while others, though quieter, have still produced when the conditions were right.

51 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

I can`t seem to find it now, but was browsing replies to a topic a day or so back, and saw a comment from a Norfolk fowler regarding the shortage of ducks this year. I shoot an area of Kent marsh with a small syndicate (6), the area has some fairly large deep ponds and has some low lying marsh areas that produces flashes when we have had several days of heavy rain. The lack of continous rain this year has resulted in the area remaing dry and whereas we have regularly seen geese passing over of a morning, they do not tend to use the ponds, prefering the flashes that have not materialised. However our returns for duck have been abysmal. Whereas last year we had large numbers of Wigeon using the area from early September onward, this year has been a disaster. 4 of us were out Christmas eve and only 1 guy saw a duck, to make matters worse he missed !  The few Wigeon that we saw early in the season seem to have moved off somewhere else and not returned.

Is it just our area, or are others finding it hard going this year ?

I believe the Norfolk fowler you were referring to was answer2 ( A Christmas Duck ) .

I now give the early part of the season a complete miss , and during that time I never saw much to tempt me to start , then as the same as last year I started around the third week in October with a pair of Pinks , like you the lack of water was a major problem and the first flight on the thawed out snow a few weeks back, I was lucky in getting three Widgeon and the next few weeks produced some good / very good flights with eight being my best night , now we have gone from one extreme to the other and it is now harder to find a dry(ish) marsh rather than a wet one .

I am lucky having around 20 marshes on my doorstep where I am the only one to shoot them so I could shoot a different marsh each night without causing any disturbance , it is still possible to get one or two but with everywhere got water on the duck are spread out a lot more than they were a month ago.

Another advantage with my marshes compared with answer2 is mine are only a short distance from the estuary which are holding good numbers of duck which by now would be a few 1000 , whereas answer2 marshes are good for geese but like us he rely on flooded areas for duck flighting , where now he would be surrounded by marshes with more than enough water to draw in a few duck.

So its not a disaster, but I don't think there is enough time left for it to be a vintage season for duck , although if you are into geese there are still several about , having passed two grazing fields that were full of geese this afternoon and going by the last two years where the Pinks counts have out numbered the duck , I dare say there would be more geese bagged by club members by now than duck.

For me the season has been very good so far, I've got on better with the geese this season than I have done before. I've not done so well on the duck, a mixture of my poor shooting at times as the duck not being there to shoot, despite being out in some spots in the idea weather for those spots. 

Probably only a few more flights left for me this season, new job starting on the 3rd and baby due 1st of Feb so my time is limited for this season now! 

3 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

For me the season has been very good so far, I've got on better with the geese this season than I have done before. I've not done so well on the duck, a mixture of my poor shooting at times as the duck not being there to shoot, despite being out in some spots in the idea weather for those spots. 

Probably only a few more flights left for me this season, new job starting on the 3rd and baby due 1st of Feb so my time is limited for this season now! 

I think you need to get out with the gun more, and leave the other weapon in your pants!

Thanks for that marsh man. You are correct about the Norfolk fowler, I didnt look at the topic when I read his comments. I envy your large choice of marshes, this area is pretty well tied up what with clubs & private ownership, so we have to think our selves lucky with the area we have got. I had a little smile a few days ago when someone on this site was advising a `newbie` to drive down from Norfolk to Kent, suggesting there was lots of free shooting on the Swale & the Medway. I am not sure where he gleaned that little tit-bit, if there was any good free shooting going the local guys would be all over it like a rash.

We see plenty of Grey`s passing across at morning flight, but with our lack of splashes this year they just pass over about 100 yrds up. But the duck are noticeably conspicous by their absense.

59 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Thanks for that marsh man. You are correct about the Norfolk fowler, I didnt look at the topic when I read his comments. I envy your large choice of marshes, this area is pretty well tied up what with clubs & private ownership, so we have to think our selves lucky with the area we have got. I had a little smile a few days ago when someone on this site was advising a `newbie` to drive down from Norfolk to Kent, suggesting there was lots of free shooting on the Swale & the Medway. I am not sure where he gleaned that little tit-bit, if there was any good free shooting going the local guys would be all over it like a rash.

We see plenty of Grey`s passing across at morning flight, but with our lack of splashes this year they just pass over about 100 yrds up. But the duck are noticeably conspicous by their absense.

Why the newbie was advised to travel down to Kent from Norfolk for wildfowling is something I cant work out , we have got two clubs that have got the shooting rights  over a wide area but there is a wider area where they haven't . a lot of there land is good for goose shooting and some of there land is good for duck , but as with most shared marshes the best places are guarded secrets and its up to the individual to do there homework and seek them out , as nobody in there right mind are going to let others know where the best shooting is , but I can assure you it is out there to be found .

One big block of marshes ( Halvergate Marshes ) cover 2,642 hectares or 10.20 sq ml , so you can see you still need to do your homework even though up to 15,000 Pinks can roost there at the peak times .  

I have had a fantastic season so far although the duck seem to have tailed off the last few weeks as they always do round my way but they will pick back up again mid January..  The geese have been kind to me again this season but then again when I put in an average of 6/700 miles a week trying to find em on my ground I should do well. 

Interesting; thanks for comments guys. The general trend appears to be that we are not the only one`s who are struggling to get a shot. It slung it down with rain most of the night down this way, so we are now looking for an opportunity to get out & see if any of our splashes are starting to fill up. Perhaps the snow up north of us will push some birds down this way !

3 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Interesting; thanks for comments guys. The general trend appears to be that we are not the only one`s who are struggling to get a shot. It slung it down with rain most of the night down this way, so we are now looking for an opportunity to get out & see if any of our splashes are starting to fill up. Perhaps the snow up north of us will push some birds down this way !

The rain is still coming down now , although it should ease up a bit ,so with a bit of luck I wont get to wet tonight when I am sitting around one of the many flashes we have currently got  , most of the rivers around the Broadland area are on flood alert today with the amount of rain water going into them over the last 48hrs.

The surrounding marshes are saturated with water ( mine included ) so the only water problem we have now is to much of it .

With me now only fowling on marshland , I am not relying on hard weather , in fact I would shoot a lot more fowl in the current mild (ish) weather than I would if everywhere freeze up and pushed the duck onto tidal estuary  where the water would stay open a lot longer , this is when coastal fowling comes into its own for the hardy lot of coastal gunners  , the only problem then is a prolonged spell of sub zero temperature would create a hard weather ban , something we haven't seen now for a number of years .

Its been raining on & off all day here, so 4 of us are planning a trip to the marsh on Monday afternoon. Will see if our normal splashes are starting to fill; the end of the season is looming and our present return for ducks & geese are the worst in the 5 years that we have had access to this area. Thanks for comments / replies it seems we are not the only one`s finding it difficult to get a shot or 2..

Been poor up here this season. The Widgeon started to build in numbers and then disappeared leaving only a few around. Very few mallard gadwall or pintail either. Only thing in a bundance is water hens and gulls. 

See lots of geese flighting from coastal roosts to inland but not over our marsh in the distance, they’re still hitting the inland farm fields with the mild weather plenty of grass still growing and crops for them to eat. 

Today I drove past the marshes and saw very little. 

Hope next season is better. 

4 minutes ago, figgy said:

Been poor up here this season. The Widgeon started to build in numbers and then disappeared leaving only a few around. Very few mallard gadwall or pintail either. Only thing in a bundance is water hens and gulls. 

See lots of geese flighting from coastal roosts to inland but not over our marsh in the distance, they’re still hitting the inland farm fields with the mild weather plenty of grass still growing and crops for them to eat. 

Today I drove past the marshes and saw very little. 

Hope next season is better. 

About sums up our experience down here in Kent. However, we will see what sort of flight we get on Monday evening. A duck in the bag would be an improvement on my last 4 trips.

Edited by JJsDad
Additional sentence.

I think wildfowl and pigeons have one thing in common , some areas have a lot and other areas very few and that's how its always been , I agree you do get weather movements but I honestly don't think it would make much difference if there were snow or very cold weather in the North that it would boost our wildfowl population up .

To tell yer the truth , we have got a healthy population of wildfowl down here at the present time , the bottom end of the estuary is no longer shot and over the last few years the wildfowl have learnt that it is perfectly safe to spend most of the time of the day just resting and swimming about during next to nothing .

On a good Spring or flood tide most of the estuary is covered except a small area of rhonds close to the New bridge and near Astas car park , on a good day the duck are not in the 100s but in the 1000s , I can walk around the wall and the duck have got no fear whatsoever , all they do is swim from the bank when you walk past and them swim back when you have passed , all the time most of them are well in range with todays heavy loaded cartridges .

The only time numbers swell up to any extent, is when the Broads freeze over and all the different species of wildfowl come down the rivers to open water.

Same ole story really , local knowledge , time , and lots of it and having access to some of the marshes where wildfowl find them attractive and you will start putting a few duck in the bag . GOOD LUCK.