OK, y'all have woken me up.......

Walker570

New bolster shape and some new ideas for handle but as soon as OF contacts me the handle material may change. Bear in mind both the handle matrials and the bolster are over size and will be profiled as required.   The yew handles are the lighter colour and the others mesquite but not yet oiled so light in colour compared to previous photos. Ad three 1/4 inch decorative pins ( waiting for UPS delivery from the States ) and it is coming together.

2013-01-01 00.01.55 (800x543).jpg

2013-01-01 00.01.17 (800x499).jpg

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK got the scary bit out the way this afternoon. Anyone who has done it purely by hand, no cnc, no bought in bolster, then fitting it to the blade so there is hardly any visible join is a bit scary. Two passes with a sharp file is too much. Ok you can fill the gap with solder but it doesn't look half as nice. Even though I'm still a bit shaky with this darn cold, I had to do something to keep my mind off it. Pretty pleased with the result. OK OK I know some observant clever clogs on here will know I already posted a fitted bolster, well so I did. Then I put that bolster somewhere safe and do you think I can find it. Anyway I think this one looks better.

With regard to the finish. My initial idea was to etch the blade with my Damascus pattern but include maybe the initials of the new owner. Not that I can't put all of that info on the blade I think it will look cluttered.  My initials will not go on for sure. I will measure up and see if I can letra set ' Donated on Pigeon Watch 2018 for Royal British Legion'   ....see that is a lot of words to fit in along 3 inches of blade. If double banked  the lettering would only be the same as on this page.  No, Old Farrier needs to give it some thought. It is now his knife and I am sure we will have lengthy chats in the days to come.  Rest assured I will do whatever I can.  What I can do, is see what The Arboretum have in their shop and if they have a small poppy stud then I can use this to emboss the leather sheath.   I usually include a phone number on the reverse side of a sheath as well.  Decisions Decisions :yes::good:

Oh yes ...the little animal is a Ringtail, lots of them in the Texas Hillcountry. Both pictures are on top of the New Zealand, Alps, 1991, the animal a bull tahr.

If I was a believer I would call it God's Country.

2013-01-01 00.01.15-1 (800x600).jpg

2013-01-01 00.00.29 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Walker570

8 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Now that is quality, with hindsight me pockets could have been a little deeper!

Well done O.F and looking forward to the finished product.

atb

7diaw

Well that's a lesson learned then!:rolleyes:

Mr Walker is currently working on a couple of knives for me, I plan to add to the RBL total sometime soon.:good:

I have two blanks, yew and mesquite made up which will fit.  However the skies the limit really on handle material, Dymondwood over 70 different varieties, Micarta, Fabricated Ivory in various forms, plain white, antique, mastadon and of course G10 plus all sorts of expensive materials.  I can put in various colour spacers/liners. I already have some really swanky pins on route.

2013-01-01 00.01.17 (800x499).jpg

2013-01-01 00.01.55 (800x543).jpg

loving these pictures gents, turning into a world tour.

24 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

On my mates belt somewhere in the bush hunting all manner of African Game Its now his favourite knife 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I would have the RBL Poppy and PW and Nev's initials as well as the date the knife was made on the blade and would choose some nice decorative wood for the handle with a contrasting liner against the tang.

so glad you said that OF and not, I lost it because I didn't have it on a lanyard.

Tightchoke, sounds like your going to need Mick Dundees knife.

My way of blocking the back of a sheath so it wraps around the handle and includes a strap and clip almost stops any chance of the knife falling out.  The one in the photo is not as tight a fit as I like still allowed that knife to slop about a bit, but you would have to turn the guy u[pside down and shake violently before any chance that knife would come loose.  

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My way of blocking the back of a sheath so it wraps around the handle and includes a strap and clip almost stops any chance of the knife falling out.  The one in the photo is not as tight a fit as I like still allowed that knife to slop about a bit, but you would have to turn the guy u[pside down and shake violently before any chance that knife would come loose.  

So an elephant then ?? 

23 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Ok first thanks to Walker for the opportunity of having a knife finished with virtually all a sportsman could want 

now for a bit of fun 

if this was going to be your knife what would you choose to decorate the blade and scales 

hopefully you’re feeling better today Walker 

all the best 

of

Well done OF!

Have been working away and missed the end of bidding. Ho hum! Thought you might bump it up. Very deserving of it you are!

I had planed Flying woodcock, pigeon and leaping roach on false ivory/antler scales.

Poppy , RBL, my name and date on Damascus etched blade.

Well done Walker and all involved!!!! Hope you feel better soon, have had the dreaded lurgy myself.

Look forward to seeing how it turns out. NB

2 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Well done OF!

Have been working away and missed the end of bidding. Ho hum! Thought you might bump it up. Very deserving of it you are!

I had planed Flying woodcock, pigeon and leaping roach on false ivory/antler scales.

Poppy , RBL, my name and date on Damascus etched blade.

Well done Walker and all involved!!!! Hope you feel better soon, have had the dreaded lurgy myself.

Look forward to seeing how it turns out. NB

Hi 

308 would have got it for you :-)  was trying to get as much as I could for a very good cause 

you would have chosen a very nice design a tad different to myself but very good 

better luck next time for you were a worthy opponent ??

all the best 

of 

Old Farrier doesn't mess about.   £310 has just thumped through my letter box.   (Note the increase).

I have informed Walker570 so it is now green lights for completion as he gets the bits and the time.

The money will be in the RBL Poppy Appeal account this afternoon.

Another big thank you to everyone concerned.

Ben