OK, y'all have woken me up.......

Walker570

Have not made up a knife now for a couple of years but yesterday I was tidying up my workshop ...di it need it!!!!

and found a piece of O1 steel lying amongst some scrap. Shame to waste it, so this morning quickly cut out a blank and then amongst a pile of miscellaneous materials I found some mesquite wood a friend sent me from Texas a couple of years ago. Well, like the rebuild of the Land Rover, I thought I would chronicle the completion of this blade.  With permission from the Mods I thought I might donate it to the highest bidder, the proceeds to be given to the British Legion my one and only charity. The winner would have to be decided before completion as I would etch the initials of the winner on the blade.

Because mesquite is unpredictable another material may be chosen.

This is for the knife only. You would have to arrange the sheath yourself.

Your thoughts appreciated.

2017-12-29 11.43.36 (800x547).jpg

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK first update and may be a week before the next as I am too busy shooting.  First rough grind on one side to give some idea of what the shape will look like . Have reprofiled the handle to include three finger slots and it feels much more comfortable. Dug around and found a piece of bronze which will be formed into the bolster. I may leave that mottled effect on the front face. Don't need to decide until it is fitted to the blade before soldering.  I have four slabs of mesquite and have just wiped each with some linseed oil to show the true colour. As soon as the blade is ground and polished I will need a 'Winner' so bid on here when you are ready and I will collate them in order received. 

2013-01-01 00.04.00 (800x565).jpg

2013-01-01 00.00.54 (800x532).jpg

Gotcha Mungler, many thanks. As said I am not going to be able to do much more before this time next week. Completing the grind and then polishing the blade to a high polish prior to etching is the next phase. Then etch , which is where I will need initials if you so wish. Fit bolster, then file work on the spine, before fitting the handle material.

Wet, miserable, raw cold morning, so I took the blade into the workshop and ground the other side and gave it an overall polish and because it's getting close to hardening, I did some file work on the back of the blade. This file work will continue along the handle eventually but difficult to do on the blade once gone through the hardening process.

Another hour or so polishing then do the hardening, re polish and then I need a winner, if initials etc need etching. 

Should have been on a driven shoot at Catton this morning but it was put off to later in the month due to flooding and waterlogged ground. Cannot say I am disappointed looking at the weather outside.

2018-01-02 12.51.14 (800x534).jpg