OK, y'all have woken me up.......

Walker570

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are really clever aren't they.  We have a large leafed palm plant in our garden room and it has fooled so many people, even when they feel the leaves.

Yes, I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole deal apart from the lacerated thumb which is now almost fully healed.   It has inspired me to fire up the old forge and see what I can come up with.

Lots of scrap lying about needing fettling.

some clever stuff, I've seen a few made from ring spanners, I don't know what sort of edge moly steel holds, but quirky none the less. when I worked in the foundry we used to make blades from the old metal files, grind them up on the linisher and then polish, then burn cast a bronze handle, I made a lovely stiletto from a 12" half round file, I know nothing of tempering the steel though so they all snap eventually.

Well, I received the two knives that I had asked Walker570 to make handles for, Nev they are lovely, you've have done a great job. I hope you enjoy the bottle of "medicine!"

I will be contacting Grandalf to forward some more money to the Royal British Legion as promised.

I will photograph the knives during a quiet moment over the weekend and will add them here.

Just spent a wonderful hour or so reading this thread from the start. It has been a long time since I have read a thread on any forum that was so engaging, entertaining, educational and with the A&E section excremental. my thanks to the various members of PW who contributed to it. I am sure with an additional section giving a 'love angle' it would make a good basis for a novel.

Very seriously though what a beautiful object of pure craftsmanship and I an certainly not envious of Old Farrier (drool, drool, slobber, slobber). Oh the thought of owning such an object main especially for me, and of course all for a magnificent cause (RBL)

Please forgive me as a new member of PW if I put forward a suggestion. I did not bid on this artwork at the time because:

1, I was not a member of PW

2, The bids quickly became too rich for my limited purse

But I for one would love the slightest opportunity of owning a knife like this. 

May I suggest if this is to be repeated then maybe  a raffle say(£10 per ticket) may be the way to go.

This would enable more of us to get involved for such a good cause, and if only 50 bought one ticket that would be £500. (500 = £5000) The design of the knife could reflect the total tickets sold. I would not expect anyone to give their time, knowledge, craftsmanship etc free of charge and should be paid for it. Please let those of us with other extravagant hobby's (marriage) join in next time.

Watched a program last night think it was called" forged in fire " all about knife making. I like the threads on here about life making and read them all .

I found this program great to watch has any one else watched it..

very very interesting makes me want to attempt it myself but way beyond my skills im afraid, but one can still enjoy other peoples skills..

30 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

Watched a program last night think it was called" forged in fire " all about knife making. I like the threads on here about life making and read them all .

very very interesting makes me want to attempt it myself but way beyond my skills im afraid, but one can still enjoy other peoples skills..

80 hours of film edited to 30 minuets 

1 hour ago, hawkeye said:

50 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

80 hours of film edited to 30 minuets 

Such sweet music though!:whistling:

• 3 months later...
On 03/02/2018 at 16:59, Walker570 said:

Well I think the way is clear for Ditchman's new project because I have now completed the RBL knife and also the two handle fitting jobs for tightchoke.

OF let me know when you are travelling north.

on edit after the comment about leather from an old handbag by johnphillip. Note the lining in the sheath. Maroon suede leather from an old fashionable then, leather mini skirt my wife had back in the 60's.  The last piece I have left.

2013-01-14 05.54.51 (800x510).jpg

Well 

finaly managed a few days and popped up the road (a long story) to see Walker and pick up the auction knife 

The pictures don’t really do it true justice truly wonderful knife ?

spent a couple of hours with master knife maker and his good lady in a beautiful part of the country a very pleasant afternoon of tea and cakes ?

anyway big thanks for the work and effort put in on the knife and a pleasure to meet you sir 

all the very best 

OF