Still on berries.

aga man

Went for drive around some of my permission yesterday and stopped counting half a dozen pigeons in total. I can remember when there would be flocks of hundreds or more but not any more. Something has changed their habits could it be amount of shooting or habitat or just a change in their diet. 

Drove up past bocking and braintree today, pigeons proper going at the road side rape fields, farmer had stuck scores of flags up over 3 or four fields as a deterrent - wasn't working though. 

Im back that way Tuesday - will be paying farmer a visit. 

Edited by Me matt

55 minutes ago, Wilksy II said:

Happy new year!!!

Good observation agaman they are in great condition arnt they, we shot a few tonight roosting and they all had very clean wheat, last week in the same wood the majority had ivy berries, big flocks on the rape at leven but won’t decoy and don’t return 

Happy new year to you and your family mate. Plenty going onto the rape here now, {perhaps JDog has pushed them over} but playing the usual game of chess, sat in surrounding tree's etc then as you appear they move off. A lot of rape this year too which is not helping. One of these windy days the hushpower is going to catch up with them.

44 minutes ago, rabbit said:

Went for drive around some of my permission yesterday and stopped counting half a dozen pigeons in total. I can remember when there would be flocks of hundreds or more but not any more. Something has changed their habits could it be amount of shooting or habitat or just a change in their diet. 

Don't despair rabbit. All of a sudden they will appear. I think the mild winters we have had the last few years has meant natural food {berries etc} has been available longer. perhaps changing the feeding habits slighty, but they will soon be causing a menace on the crops.

I pass a field of rape on my way to work each weekday and it's been almost blue with pigeon for the last few days. Right next to main road and opposite housing though, so no hope of getting under them even if I had permission there.

Shot two passing birds whilst out for a walk with the gun on my permission yesterday and they were both stuffed full of ivy berries and nothing else.

Edited by Longstrider