Still on berries.

aga man

There's no doubt pigeons are feeding on rape now but this afternoon whilst walking my dogs {without a gun] I have seen quite a number of pigeons feeding on ivy berries. No wonder pigeons are looking well and any I have shot recently are weighty healthy birds in good knick.

Anyway no real point to the post, just an observation. Hope you are all having a good Christmas.

Thanks for reading.

I have struggled to get birds since end of October. There is serious amount of barley on the fields here and food in the hedges. The birds are in flocks of a few hundred but geographically spread far and wide.

Also, no migrant birds (well not in noticeable numbers). I suspect their behaviour has changed, because I've been watching the winter birds coming here reduce year on year for the last decade.

Having said that i managed a bag of 40 odd flighting last Saturday. 

I love big winter flocks. Just the sight of seeing a  hundred or so birds committing to the decoys, but it seems those days are probably gone.

Climate change i reckon?!?!? Same with the ducks.

Edited by Dr D

All the birds round here are sat on the sprouts or psb - typical flock,one shot and gone,wind may bring some bags as in terms of numbers but its a struggle at the moment - id say overall bird numbers are pretty high in the area with groups of 50+ dotted all over  and more in certain places ?

IMG-20171006-WA0000.jpg

I have not shot any birds recently with Ivy berries in the crop, which surprises me a little as I have seen a number feeding on the Ivy. They mostly have Rape. Some with maize from a stubble that is frustrating me to the point of insanity and a fair few stuffed with wheat which i guess is from the feed rides of the neighbouring shoot. We still have good numbers in the area but pinning them down is a little tricky. All part of the fun. 

I shot 33 Saturday before Christmas weekend on barley stubble, following Saturday 1 pigeon and 1 rook and hardly a pigeon to be seen.Wednesday flighted in a wood in the evening,6 for 7 shots,all had a mix of acorns and ivy berries.Not seen a bird on the rape yet in the part of Dorset I live in.

1 hour ago, MELLYBOY said:

Purple sprouting broc -- it is indeed - it allows them to land on and keep of the wet/muddy floor - plenty to go at without to much effort for them?

20170217_123637.jpg

I never subscribed to the theory that pigeons don't like getting their feet wet.

26 minutes ago, MELLYBOY said:

In the right conditions yes there good - but as they say dont believe the hype ? i needed new ones and just decided to give em a go - to keep things simple i suppose you can ask - what dont shine when its wet ? ?

exactly the reason why  I bought some, and  they work  so no complaints from me 

22 hours ago, motty said:

I never subscribed to the theory that pigeons don't like getting their feet wet.

It’s not that they don’t like to get their feet wet ,but more that they don’t like to get their feet clagged up with mud and snow . If their feet are claggy with mud and snow they carnt perch . Like walking with golf balls taped to your feet .

harnser

34 minutes ago, Harnser said:

It’s not that they don’t like to get their feet wet ,but more that they don’t like to get their feet clagged up with mud and snow . If their feet are claggy with mud and snow they carnt perch . Like walking with golf balls taped to your feet .

harnser

I meant to say muddy in my original post. From what I witness pigeons standing in, I do not think that standing in snow or mud worries them.