Simply rude people!

eddoakley

I sold a new armsan about 6 weeks ago.

2 weeks later it' brought back with complaints of light strikes on cartridges (a 1st for me having sold quite a lot of armsans)

Customer asks for a replacement which I refuse on the basis that 1- I didn' have one and 2- him saying there was a problem doesn't mean that there is one.

It would be returned to suplier for testing.

2 weeks later it's back in my shop having been tested with 20 odd cartridges of various brands and all working perfectly.

The conclusion- bad cartridges. Seems fair to me.

Customer informed and turns to today (2 weeks after being told gun is ready) yo collect.

Now this is where it gets annoying.

As I explain the conclusions and offer replacement cartridges I also ask for his certificate. A legal requirement.

"I haven't brought it" is the reply.

"Well I'm very sorry sir but I cannot return your gun. Simply put how do O know that your certificate wasn't revoked while i had your gun?"

"This is &!*#/ ridiculous!. You !&#/#& idiot! Why didn't you (!&@^^# tell me?!?!

I bought a new gun and can't *@^^## use it"

I thought, as always I would try to be the better man.

"Let me make some arrangements and I will get it delivered to your door tomorrow" I offer.

At which point surely I have gone above and beyond and anyone has to accept that it is more than 99% of shops would do? Surely?!?!?

But oh no!

"I've spoken to trading standards and they said get my *@&@^# money back.

If that gun isn't at my door by 9 o'clock I want my !*!&@^money back"

And some other rants and derogatory comments as he slammed the door and wheel spun out of the car park.

I left a message on his home phone withdrawing my offer to deliver after the abuse I received.

I can understand the frustration, new gun, 30 minute drive to collect and all that but there is just no need to be rude when someone is trying to help. He forgot his certificate not me.

This is a guy in his 60s or 70s and really surprised me. Put a right downer on an otherwise positive day.

Apologies for the rant. Just venting.

Edd

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grrr.

And now a lovely voicemail informing me that I am a disgrace and that I was talking rubbish about cartridges and how he will be taking action if I don't deliver the gun 1st thing tomorrow. 

That my offer to deliver as a gesture of good will is ********and how I should have had the decency to tell him that he would need to bring his cert when collecting.

If I had been an *** to him I would get it but I was more than helpful. Just no pleasing some people I guess.

Edd 

As a licence holder it's HIS responsibility to carry a licence when transporting a gun!

This is my understanding and also have been told by various people, how can he say it's your fault for not telling him!! 

You have been more than fair, some people just can't help themselves!

It would be good if I had an email address but sadly not.

As far as having a refund goes I'm  almost sure that if you are willing to accept a product but with conditions (discount or in this case free delivery after inspection) then you negate the argument that it is faulty. Or at least something similar. As a retailer I should probably be more up on these things.

I won't be delivering and look forward to his demands or any action he decides to take.

The vast majority of my customers are great. I have made some really good friends in the short time that the shop has been open (one was actually with me when this idiot came in this evening).

The cards and gifts that we received not only for Xmas but also for the recent birth of our son are testament to that, but there will always be those people that are, as the topic says "simply rude".

Edd

Guest cookoff013

Seen it happen before. 

On a different note, if you handle it professionally it's smoother.

I had a forend in a shop for repair, and they threw it in the bin instead. The shopkeeper claimed it was royal mail loss. After being severely abused verbally for 5 minutes, I suggested we correspond differently. Solicitor letter demanding my property. Or they refund the now "not working gun" 1600£ I bought from them.

The shopkeeper couldn't look me in the eye and his wife had to deal with it. They even tried to stiff me again, after the deal to repair, by not paying the repair bill. Then the next problem was the rfd who received my repaired gun (original dealer no longer rfd ) tried to withhold the gun, claim it wholly for the now outstanding rfd Bill that is silly money now. Whilst the original dealer tried to stiff me, and i was in contact with the importer / manufacturer gunsmith. What should have cost £20, ended up £800. Total 800£, 3rfds,2solicitor letter, a small conversation with a 2nd rfd about raising invoices for work not done or requested by them and slapping 100%. Then trying to take my gun to pay the fattened invoice.

If i had a time machine, I'd just sue.

Advise him, Gun tested by supplier, they advised its working as it should, there are no defects consequently nothing wrong with it, he can pick it up during shop opening hours, remind him not to forget his SGS!.........the balls in his court.....Don't know what else you can do!

Tricky one as retailer his contract is with you not the manufacturer and retail rules pertain. Look up the latest legislation and ensure you are on the right side of what is what. Very very unlikely he has spoken to trading standards but if he has just ask for the details of the representative and that his request for a refund (this isn’t distance selling remember) needs to be put in writing. If your a gun trade association member or similar check there guidance to. The certificate thing is his own fault perhaps make sure there is a sign saying that no gun will be released with the original certificate being present to cover any future incidents.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

was it returned within 30days as “faulty”

Edited by HDAV

2 hours ago, Winston72 said:

Three sides to every story

Often 4!

I'm not disputing any of the earlier events, I would be annoyed if I bought something new and it didn't do what it was supposed to, I would be more annoyed at myself if I went to pick up a gun and didn't take my certificate, but I'm sure I wouldn't call the person trying to help me a "!(#&&$€ idiot" and a "disgrace" for not telling me to bring my certificate.

No "sides" to this part, he was just rude and just out of order.

Edd

There's always someone like that. The trick is to ignore it (easier said then done I admit just be thankful you don't have my job where everyone who has never done it knows it far better than I ever will and are only too happy to point out there, ignorant views).

If they have really upset you then perhaps refuse his custom next time. 

Should his behaviour be so tempestuous then perhaps he's not fit to hold a certificate? 

46 minutes ago, HDAV said:

Tricky one as retailer his contract is with you not the manufacturer and retail rules pertain. Look up the latest legislation and ensure you are on the right side of what is what. Very very unlikely he has spoken to trading standards but if he has just ask for the details of the representative and that his request for a refund (this isn’t distance selling remember) needs to be put in writing. If your a gun trade association member or similar check there guidance to. The certificate thing is his own fault perhaps make sure there is a sign saying that no gun will be released with the original certificate being present to cover any future incidents.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

was it returned within 30days as “faulty”

That's an interesting read. Lots of protection for the consumer but nothing mentioned for the retailer.

Anyone have more info?

If a consumer returns an item claiming it is faulty does the retailer have the right to test? Surely they must?

So in this case the reported fault is shown to be non existent, who has rights in this situation? Who makes the decision as to whether the reported fault exists? 

If the consumer says it is faulty and the retailer says it isn't what would happen next??

Maybe I should open a seperate thread?

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

Consumer law is just that retailer is there as the “professional” the you have rights but probably not worth testing them but if you and importer are confident then stand firm but be ready to go to court very very easy for him to file papers in small claims

11 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Should his behaviour be so tempestuous then perhaps he's not fit to hold a certificate? 

A few people have said similar nut I'm not interested in causing him trouble. Perhaps I should be? Perhaps it is my responsibility to report people's attitudes or outbursts to Feo if I should have any concerns.

Anyway, it happens but it annoyed me this evening. Quite interested to find out what rights either side has now, more for future reference than anything else.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

2 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

A few people have said similar nut I'm not interested including him trouble. Perhaps I should be? Perhaps it is my responsibility to report people's attitudes or outbursts to Feo if I should have any concerns.

Anyway, it happens but it annoyed me this evening. Quite interested to find out what rights either side has now, more for future reference than anything else.

Edd

Perhaps you should be. Would you want to be his next door neighbour when he loses his temper knowing he's a firearm holder?

try trading standards I suspect it' well documented both ways. 

I’d polite inform him any further being threatening and abusive will be reported to the Police. 

Then remind him as per the conditions of the law it is HIS responsibility to have his SGC when collecting his gun. 

The gun is not faulty and he is welcome to come collect it during normal shop opening hours. 

9 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

A few people have said similar nut I'm not interested in causing him trouble. Perhaps I should be? Perhaps it is my responsibility to report people's attitudes or outbursts to Feo if I should have any concerns.

Edd

It may be your responsibility, but it would be very easy for him to lie and make out that you were the aggressor and cause you problems with your FLO. Unfortunately nowadays the good samaritan seems to end up worse than the offender.