Simply rude people!

eddoakley

One of the first semi auto's i had was a Hatsan i used to get misfires and jams regular took it back to the shop and asked for my money back got it no problem..

Bought another a browning fusion think it was from a different shop, Simon at Gilsan sports in richmond had that a few days and was jamming a lot so took it back Simon took me up to some land he shoots and put a box (25) through it not a problem, then i tried mine first one fired then jammed Simon looked at my cartridges and said " these are only 65mm long most auto's are set up for 70mm long cartridges" felt such a fool but did not know that never used any thing less than 70mm since in any of my shotguns,,

With him having trouble get him to check the length of his cartridges you never know..

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, eddoakley said:

When the message was left with his wife 2 weeks ago she was told to remind him to bring his certificate and the receipt that he was given when he returned the gun. 

When he called to tell me he would be collecting last night I did not mention that he should bring anything, assuming that he would either know from the previous message or more importantly realise that he would ALWAYS need a certificate to collect any gun.

If not reminding him makes me ^#_##_ idiot" and a "£!&;×%^ disgrace" then I have a very differet view on the world than he does.

Edd

It is of course the certificate holder's duty to remember and bring the certificate.  However, it is one of those cases where a reminder is a good plan and I suspect one that many gun shops and gunsmiths have learned over the years!

Some strange folk about, its not like there are gun smiths everywhere why go and annoy one by shouting the odds, if the law says you must show your certificate when buying ammo guns or picking things up then simple you take it with you, I bet most of you with sgc and fac have always got your certificate with you? 

where's my keys phone and cert?

I'd say just deal with him in the shop make it clear your happy if he finds somewhere else to shop, then forget he exists.

Hope your first Xmas with the little lad went well.

Get the same in my job, part and parcel of dealing with Joe public is every now and the you get an unreasonable customer. They get an ideal scenario in their head and when it doesn't happen they go off on one. It can ruin a great week helping happy customers. 

I hope he'll  have calmed down and will be more reasonable when, with his cert, he comes to collect the gun after you have tested it to verify it's working perfectly for you. Don't ban him or invite him to shop elsewhere, point out how rude he was or that it was his fault for forgetting the license, but politely serve him and look him straight in the eye. Chances are he knows full well he's been an ****

26 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Some strange folk about, its not like there are gun smiths everywhere why go and annoy one by shouting the odds, if the law says you must show your certificate when buying ammo guns or picking things up then simple you take it with you, I bet most of you with sgc and fac have always got your certificate with you? 

where's my keys phone and cert?

I'd say just deal with him in the shop make it clear your happy if he finds somewhere else to shop, then forget he exists.

Hope your first Xmas with the little lad went well.

Had a nice chilled Xmas thanks.

Freddy is only 8 weeks so nothing like the carnage that will surely follow in the next few years. I actually had a few days off and not 1 drop of alcohol!

I'm just about to write to the customer explaining that he can collect his gun at any time and that we would appreciate his attitude and verbal abuse be left outside.

I am not prepared to deliver the gun despite his threats of "action" due to his abuse.

I am not prepared to offer a refund or replacement as there is no fault with the gun. If he can show the gun to be faulty in any way (other than damage deliberately caused by him) then I will refund in full even if he does not have the original packaging.

Will leave it there and see what happens.

Edd

Just discussing this and the example was given that if I bought a tv, took it back to the shop and said it was faulty then would I be right to expect a replacement or refund? I would say so, but not until the shop had checked the apparent fault. Me saying it' faulty doesnt mean that it is faulty. 

If the shop plug it in, switch it on and it does what it should then I have to accept that it works. The only difference is that a gun can' be tested at my shop.

Edd

The public can be a nightmare. 

I'd try not to get worked up for now though, he may shuffle in after a night to reflect on it with his head down to apologise for being a tit and collect his shotgun. An outcome far more likely given you kept your cool and behaved as a gentleman throughout. Im not sure how being a tit is grounds to call his feo though unless he was threatening/violent.

A schoolmate buys returned as faulty electronic goods by the pallet load to fix and resell, he works on 30% having no fault detectable when he takes delivery, of the remainder about half are scrapped to fix the rest. It would seem that the products he gets are returned as faulty but ultimately untested. 

Edited by Wb123

guys being rude swearing etc is bad in any shop  but  and its a big BUT  none of us know why the guy let his mouth rumble  we dont know what his day etc has been  yes i know people will say its him who has to keep cool headed because he has a certificate  but just think how many times you yourself have lost your temper in everyday life  as edd said he did not feel threatened by him

This has become something of a tricky situation.

I had no intention of speaking to the feo. I really didn't feel the need as it was just somebody being very rude and having a rant (quite possibly because he didn't like the gun but that's another issue)

Now that people have suggested it it may be said that it would be remiss of me not to speak to the feo, even if it was just a "quiet word"

Someone said earlier "how do you know how he might have reacted if he had the gun in his hands when you asked for his cert?"

"What if anything happened in the future when he did have a gun?".

Now I feel like maybe I should say something even though at the time, and now really, I thought it was not worthy of involving anyone esle.

Tricky.

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

Is there such a thing as a quiet word with a FEO?

A lot will depend on the feo in question and and the relationship u have with him.

If u have a word I don't know how much 'wiggle' room he has, in most pulic services ur constantly covering there **** and I'd imagine firarms licensing will be worst than most.

If something happens in the future the feo might/would be in trouble if he had 'info' and hadn't reacted to it.

To be honest as I wasn't there I have no idea if it merits a word and also as I don't know ur firearms team down there.

But without doubt his behaviour was out of order

24 minutes ago, scotslad said:

To be honest as I wasn't there I have no idea if it merits a word and also as I don't know ur firearms team down there.

But without doubt his behaviour was out of order

My honest feeling is that it doesn't. Although he had a rant, swore and slammed the door before racing out of the car park he wasnt really "aggressive".

BUT where is the line drawn?

Initially it didn't cross my mind but now its just a niggling doubt and in this situation possibly just an *** covering exercise.

But does that mean I should or shouldn't say something!?!?!??

Edd

Hes a disgruntled customer who thinks you have done him a wrong turn......welcome to the world of running a buisness.....if you stick it long enough he wont be the last to voice displeasure....

Really that is all this event is,,turning it into something else is a bit much....weve all had bad days dont mean we should lose our guns....

1 minute ago, millrace said:

Hes a disgruntled customer who thinks you have done him a wrong turn......welcome to the world of running a buisness.....if you stick it long enough he wont be the last to voice displeasure....

Really that is all this event is,,turning it into something else is a bit much....weve all had bad days dont mean we should lose our guns....

bang on the money .

12 hours ago, stumfelter said:

Says Mr argumentative, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.....

Some of us deal with extreme confrontation situations for a living. 

Im perfectly capable of keeping my cool in dangerous situations I think I know how to behave just fine thanks ??

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I might be in the minority, but I would invite the FEO to view the video and make up his own mind.

When you get a certificate, it comes with responsibilities - one being that you don't lose your rag and rant / swear.

I still think he should wait and see how the chap returns, if he comes in with a little humility then let it go. 

That said a good part of my job occasionally involves the occasional rant / appearing to  lose my rag. When being nice fails it is often the only remaining way to get results, especially on the sad occasions when you have to be a scarier man to cross than the competition. I certainly wouldn't want anyone suggesting I was unfit to keep my fac because I have to turn it on once every few months. 

I don’t think someone having a rant in the shop is justification to go and tell the fao he might be a danger (which is what you’ll be doing really). Doesn’t sound like he was aggressive in the physical sense of the word or was going to be? 

Sounds like it’s blown out of proportion to me now you’ve spent so much time thinking about it, although I agree he was in the wrong to lose his temper and make such a big deal of simply having to return with his certificate! 

Customers are hard enough work at the best of times, but you’ve clearly got an awkward one there. Do what you can to resolve the situation as quickly as possible and move on. 

I certainly wouldn't want anyone suggesting I was unfit to keep my fac because I have to turn it on once every few months. 

How does the recipient know whether you are acting or not? A very dangerous strategy. If you habitually appear as "scarier to cross", I would be someone who would make that suggestion.

1 hour ago, Wb123 said:

I still think he should wait and see how the chap returns, if he comes in with a little humility then let it go. 

That said a good part of my job occasionally involves the occasional rant / appearing to  lose my rag. When being nice fails it is often the only remaining way to get results, especially on the sad occasions when you have to be a scarier man to cross than the competition. I certainly wouldn't want anyone suggesting I was unfit to keep my fac because I have to turn it on once every few months. 

What’s your job and what do you mean by ‘turn it on’ ? 

I guess it depends on the legality of your reason for the threat / statement. 

Ive had some very dangerous situations at work with people coming at you with knives etc and had to tell them “you keep coming with that this is only going to end one way... with you on the floor...” this is all whilst awaiting Police assistance who are on the way. 

In your work If someone claimed you’d threatened them, and took this to the Police etc, do you think the Police and ultimately a Judge would accept that you were “just pretending to threaten” or “turning it on”?? 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

When you get a certificate, it comes with responsibilities - one being that you don't lose your rag and rant / swear.

Yes, it comes with responsibilities; NO - having a certificate doesn't mean you don't lose your rag and rant / swear.

Losing rag/ranting/swearing is for some people a safety valve; it happens all over the place every day and is to be regretted, but they don't go and mow people down with a car/ attack people with a carving knife/hammer any more than they go and go and brandish a firearm.

Unless threats are made or implied, this is relatively normal (if unpleasant) behaviour.

Just my opinion.

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:45, R1nut said:

As a licence holder it's HIS responsibility to carry a licence when transporting a gun!

This is my understanding and also have been told by various people, how can he say it's your fault for not telling him!! 

You have been more than fair, some people just can't help themselves!

I don't think that it is law to be carrying your certificate with you when you have your gun, but it is probably sensible.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

John - I accept your point, but I doubt an FEO would agree. This isn't someone genuinely having a strop - it is someone who intentionally appears to be scary. The threat is implicit. 

For me the point raised by the original poster was that whilst unpleasant and rude it was "not aggressive".  There is a world of difference between threatening  legal action or non payment and threatening violence/physical harm/attack.

Threatening legal action is not (my opinion) a matter for FEO, whereas any threat of violence would be.