Simply rude people!

eddoakley

1 minute ago, walshie said:

If you tried that in a good few places I have worked you would either get the sack or a clump in the car park after work. 

Where I worked, being deliberately intimidating would have been classed as bullying and would have resulted in dismissal.  I have seen it happen.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Sounds like some serious retraining is needed (unless of course you're in the military, can't see any of the behaviour described being acceptable anywhere else, and maybe not even then nowadays)

Try working at a small family run place, you will be amazed at what goes on and what people tolerate that they shouldn't have to, working at a big company with all the hr departments life is a doddle.

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Try working at a small family run place, you will be amazed at what goes on and what people tolerate that they shouldn't have to, working at a big company with all the hr departments life is a doddle.

Human Resourses (HR) are not the same as the old Personel Departments, they are pretty much fixers for the employer now! Years ago an employee could go to the Personel Dept for help, assistance and impartial advice........In many businesses I doubt that would be the case nowadays?

18 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Human Resourses (HR) are not the same as the old Personel Departments, they are pretty much fixers for the employer now! Years ago an employee could go to the Personel Dept for help, assistance and impartial advice........In many businesses I doubt that would be the case nowadays?

Last company I worked for (large USA based) had an Ethics Officer (permanently on site), and bullying, intimidation, discrimination, any attempt at bribery, backhanders etc. were covered by the Ethics Officer - who had direct access to either the local top management, or the Ethics dept. in 'head office'.  It was made very clear to all that any form of bullying or discrimination would not be tolerated - and this was enforced.  Every employee from the top down had to undergo a considerable amount of annual 'ethics training' which was checked up on.  There was a confidential Ethics hotline which I believe was operated by an offsite 3rd party to ensure complete confidentiality.

I can see it can be a lot more difficult in a small family run business.

6 hours ago, Wb123 said:

I work in a profoundly underresourced part of the civil service where frequently a debate has to be had about what work will not get done but all of it is in theory at least safety critical. Often this ends up being sorted out by people further towards the bottom of the food chain who cannot get all the required work done with the available resources, they essentially end up deciding what doesn't happen when a grossly unrealistic set of tasks are requested. My job involves making sure work under my name doesn't get excessively compromised.

Usually this can be achieved with a little give and take outlining what can be dropped or delayed and what can't. Most of the people lower down will bend over backwards to get everything they can done and will work their backsides off to keep everyone happy so letting some stuff go isn't a problem. But rarely compromise is not possible and occasionally competing interests for resources are also not in a position to compromise, here the chaps at the bottom have to decide who to leave with a sodding great big mess.

I dont threaten individuals with violence, though I may threaten to discuss with line managers or members of management known for being deeply unpleasant. I will where required use excessive eye contact, draw myself up to my full height, move a few inches closer, and question how they intend to justify each omission when I take this up the food chain. I have no doubt it can be highly intimidating (that's the point) but there is no threat of physical danger. 

Fortunately I have to do this once a year or less and the reputation carries. I was taught it as a 'management strategy' which was an essential tool to master, though in reality we all know it is being a ****. 

Firearms licensing by any chance.....? ?

Five pages on a customer swearing and calling you names. 

Have you checked his gun is working as it should? Believing the manufacturer or importer isn’t foolproof. 

Your angry customer may well come back full of apologies for his behavior, might have been other things gone wrong for him that day, who knows. 

He may also just be a cantankerous old swine. 

29 minutes ago, figgy said:

Five pages on a customer swearing and calling you names. 

Have you checked his gun is working as it should?

He may also just be a cantankerous old swine. 

Haha. Yeah this one went a bit didn't it.

Yes we have checked it. 20 plus cartridges and not one misfire or jam so more than enough of a test to make me happy.

And swapping "cantankerous" for "rude" is as simple as the whole thing is.

Edd

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Last company I worked for (large USA based) had an Ethics Officer (permanently on site), and bullying, intimidation, discrimination, any attempt at bribery, backhanders etc. were covered by the Ethics Officer - who had direct access to either the local top management, or the Ethics dept. in 'head office'.  It was made very clear to all that any form of bullying or discrimination would not be tolerated - and this was enforced.  Every employee from the top down had to undergo a considerable amount of annual 'ethics training' which was checked up on.  There was a confidential Ethics hotline which I believe was operated by an offsite 3rd party to ensure complete confidentiality.

I can see it can be a lot more difficult in a small family run business.

pretty much the same where i work, GE. i can also agree with what panoma1 says regarding HR depts. especially in corporate companies. apologies for the off topic reply, this thread seems to have split into two.

10 hours ago, Wb123 said:

I work in a profoundly underresourced part of the civil service where frequently a debate has to be had about what work will not get done but all of it is in theory at least safety critical. Often this ends up being sorted out by people further towards the bottom of the food chain who cannot get all the required work done with the available resources, they essentially end up deciding what doesn't happen when a grossly unrealistic set of tasks are requested. My job involves making sure work under my name doesn't get excessively compromised.

Usually this can be achieved with a little give and take outlining what can be dropped or delayed and what can't. Most of the people lower down will bend over backwards to get everything they can done and will work their backsides off to keep everyone happy so letting some stuff go isn't a problem. But rarely compromise is not possible and occasionally competing interests for resources are also not in a position to compromise, here the chaps at the bottom have to decide who to leave with a sodding great big mess.

I dont threaten individuals with violence, though I may threaten to discuss with line managers or members of management known for being deeply unpleasant. I will where required use excessive eye contact, draw myself up to my full height, move a few inches closer, and question how they intend to justify each omission when I take this up the food chain. I have no doubt it can be highly intimidating (that's the point) but there is no threat of physical danger. 

Fortunately I have to do this once a year or less and the reputation carries. I was taught it as a 'management strategy' which was an essential tool to master, though in reality we all know it is being a ****. 

Absaloutly disgusting behaviour and will likely end up with you getting sacked or even running the possibility of you getting yourself injured and prosecuted one day if someone has an honestly held belief you pose a danger to them and decides to use force against you. I'd take a long hard look at yourself if I was you.

10 hours ago, Wb123 said:

Wow.

Good luck in passing your gross misconduct and utter failure as a manager off at your tribunal as a taught management strategy when you try it on someone with the gumption to have you over a barrel for it.

Which department are you with?

22 hours ago, Wb123 said:

I hope none of your staff see this or i would imagine their new years resolution will be something along the lines of "get you sacked and get large compensation claim"!!  Im shocked that your willing to intimidate staff and also just as shocked that you obviously dont see this as an issue and are willing to post it on a public forum.

If you havent made a new years resolution, i can suggest one.

23 hours ago, Wb123 said:

i would love to see you interview me :yes:

19 hours ago, Mice! said:

Completely agree. Used to work at a truss making mill in a small town. Violence was always about, I saw (we all did) the boss getting into punch ups with customers/staff. When in a small team in a area where you are so nervous of losing your job as there isn't nothing else about to keep the roof over your head, you will take a lot of abuse. I did but it gave me thick enough skin to do worse jobs. 

You wanna know about swearing and intimidation - I was a traffic warden for 18months :lol:. Ive had it all thrown at me 

10 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Completely agree. Used to work at a truss making mill in a small town. Violence was always about, I saw (we all did) the boss getting into punch ups with customers/staff. When in a small team in a area where you are so nervous of losing your job as there isn't nothing else about to keep the roof over your head, you will take a lot of abuse. I did but it gave me thick enough skin to do worse jobs. 

You wanna know about swearing and intimidation - I was a traffic warden for 18months :lol:. Ive had it all thrown at me 

I've been a doorman but traffic warden that's one job i couldn't do hat's of to you strimmer :)

2 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

Life’s too short for me to trawl through every reply on this thread, but the OPs account leaves me wondering if the customer has dementia. Sounds like a frank discussion with the customer’s firearms licensing department is in order.

why dementia??

Question ,

At work a student collapses we administer first aid shes no responsive so we call a Ambulance  first thing they do is say there's nothing wrong with your voice so you can pack that up right away and start speaking properly . 

Rude or just doing her job ?.