Which cartridges?

Hello all just my first o/u so now looking at cartridges now which to go for I will be shooting driven pheasants  and clays  and I would like to get on the pigeons every now and then  so I’m looking for a good cartridge that I can use for them all I plan to pick up a selection and try them on the clays and find which ones I get on best with  which I think would be a good place to start 

I have been told to give eley pigeon select 30g no6 , just cartridges xtreme game 30g no6 , game bore velocity and clear pigeon A try is there any others I should stick on the list or go with what I’ve got ? 

Thanks guys

For CPSA registered grounds and registered comps 

The length of the cartridge, before being  fired, is not to exceed the maximum length speci ed for the discipline being shot. Cartridges must be of normal loading with no internal changes, and shall not exceed 28 grams of shot. (For ISSF and FITASC disciplines different rules apply, see current rulebooks.)
25.1 Except as detailed below all the above rules and regulations for English Sporting are fully applicable to the CPSA discipline of ‘SPORTRAP’.

The shot shall be spherical shot of normal production and no larger than 2.6mm in diameter (English size 6): plated shot may be used

for all round and Olympic disaplins no larger than 2.5 mm in diameter.

Home load, black powder and tracer cartridges may not be used. The Referee may at any time take un fired cartridge(s) out of a shooter’s gun for examination and analysis. Any competitor found using prohibited cartridge(s) will be liable to disqualification 

where steel shot is being used there shall be a maximum shot size of 4 (as against lead shot size 6) when used at a Registered or Home International event.

copied for CPSA technical rules 

Edited by stevo

10 hours ago, Simonmealing001 said:

Hello all just my first o/u so now looking at cartridges now which to go for I will be shooting driven pheasants  and clays  and I would like to get on the pigeons every now and then  so I’m looking for a good cartridge that I can use for them all I plan to pick up a selection and try them on the clays and find which ones I get on best with  which I think would be a good place to start 

I have been told to give eley pigeon select 30g no6 , just cartridges xtreme game 30g no6 , game bore velocity and clear pigeon A try is there any others I should stick on the list or go with what I’ve got ? 

Thanks guys

Everyone has their favourites, but to be honest it's more difficult to find a bad cartridge.

Like most of us, I guess the shells you try will be more consistent than the chap pulling the trigger.

With this in mind, your initial thinking on brand is fine. Get a thousand 6's of what you want to try and then forget about them. They will work if you do your bit.

For clays, similarly.... I'd get a couple of slabs of cheap 28g 7.5's and crack on.

Enjoy it !!

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Everyone has their favourites, but to be honest it's more difficult to find a bad cartridge.

Like most of us, I guess the shells you try will be more consistent than the chap pulling the trigger.

With this in mind, your initial thinking on brand is fine. Get a thousand 6's of what you want to try and then forget about them. They will work if you do your bit.

For clays, similarly.... I'd get a couple of slabs of cheap 28g 7.5's and crack on.

Enjoy it !!

I wouldn't argue with this! Years ago the choice of cartridges was very small as compared with today, and I never felt the cartridge was to blame for a light bag or deserved praise for a heavy one!....because there are so many brands to choose from I think people tend to overthink cartridge choice nowadays!

For game shooting just buy 1000 x 30 g x 6s and forget it.......if you miss a lot it's more likely down to gunfit or yourself! Rather than cartridge choice! Lol!

Personally!.........I have used just cartridges "xtreme game" for the last few seasons for all my game shooting and find them excellent and relatively reasonably priced

10 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Enjoy it !!

Ok i have a box (25) of xtreme game pigeon select and volecty  so will use them up and which ever I find I get on with I will pick a 1k up  and will have a look and see what cheep 28g 7.5 just cartridges have and pick them up 

thanks everyone for your answers 

Just bought a few slabs of Hull Special Pigeon for the same all round use only because I needed something suited to several makes of semi auto (gas operated and inertia operated) and these ticked the boxes.  So far pleased with them although the patterns from JC Extreme Game are the best I've tested in my shotguns. Not cheap though.  Fiocchi TT1 are by all accounts very good too.