Humberside shooting ground

moxey

Evening all, something that’s been bugging me since we went on Thursday with the god kids an family, 5 ov is in total, try an organise a day trip is a nightmare, but we got it together for said day, turns out it’s a discount day £23 x100 clays day went great beaut layouts, few no birds put that down to frost night b4, only when we went to pay it all went pear, my m8 went to pay when he mentioned to Paul the owner about coming on a cheap day, he went on a rant about putting 1 an half million into the ground an if we can’t come on a normal day don’t bother coming again, me an the wife shot over 300 clays plus wat the others had shot, he then said the cheap day wasn’t on even though we showed him an email that said it was on, from Paul himself, while we had a coffee before heading home, he gave us an abrupt refund with no apology or niceties.  don’t know if anyone else has had this welcome lol, but we won’t be travelling from Doncaster again when we got places closer to home, I’ll just say he must ov been having a bad day, for wat ever reason, not on the till side goin by how full the car park was, but if you put a cheap day on don’t be surprised when you get more people turning out than usual !!!

Seems very odd, I used to go there very regularly (for a while every Tuesday and Thursday discounted evening) and was always made very welcome, but I've not been for 18 months since moving away. I hope the chaps who run it are alright, what you describe does sound very different to how I remember the place. 

Edited by Wb123
Grammar

On 1 January 2018 at 21:23, Wb123 said:

Seems very odd, I used to go there very regularly (for a while every Tuesday and Thursday discounted evening) and was always made very welcome, but I've not been for 18 months since moving away. I hope the chaps who run it are alright, what you describe does sound very different to how I remember the place. 

My m8 who went zeitgeist wrote Paul a letter an got a reply, I'll post on here just so other shooters don't get the same treatment

Paul, on Thursday 28th December myself and 4 other friends/ family visited your shooting ground after many weeks of trying to get everyone together with work commitments etc. We were met initially in the club house by an amenable chap who answered any questions we had, sorted out the hire of a club gun, and dealt with us in a friendly, professional way. 
We spent a good while out on the grounds and were all impressed by the layouts and variety of the targets. 
Then we came back into the club house to pay. At this point I should say that we had seen on your website that Tuesdays and Thursdays were special offer days, at £23 / 100 clays. Indeed the week previous we had emailed yourself to enquire if this offer was valid through the Xmas period, to which you confirmed that it was. (Said emails can be forwarded if required).
My friend was the first to pay, having shared a dongle between himself and his wife, they had used 330 clays. You told them that the cost was £99, which he paid by card without question.
This immediately struck me as being incorrect, given that we had been told it was £23/100. There were also signs pinned up inside the club house to this effect.
When I questioned this cost, you told me that this special offer “didn’t apply Xmas week”, to which I replied, that’s why we had come. It was at this point that you launched into some ill thought out tirade about me not wanting to support your £1.5 million investment into the shooting ground, only coming because it was a “cheap” day, etc, etc. You proceeded to take payment for my dongle under duress, still moaning about us not being willing to support your investment. (Again there was over 300 clays on our dongle). You then compounded your appalling customer service by suggesting that as we only came because it was a cheap day, not to bother coming back! I repeatedly pointed out that these were YOUR advertised prices, not something I had made up. A short while later, again under duress, you reimbursed my friend the £22 that you had initially overcharged him. However, the last of our group to pay was still charged the full rate of £30 / 100 with no reimbursement. 
It was a disappointing and rather upsetting end to an otherwise really enjoyable day, caused by your bewildering outburst, which at best was uncalled for and at worst, downright rude.
I have no explanation for your behaviour but feel that having had time to reflect, you yourself may be able to shed some light upon it?
You may recall that, as a group, we supported your investment to the tune of almost £200 on our visit, a not - inconsiderable sum I’m sure you’ll agree.
It would be unfortunate and unfair to post reviews of your business without the chance for redress, explanation, or response, hence the reason for this communication.
Regards, 
S. W. Smith.
Sent from my iPhone

Dear Mr.Smith

The reason I was not happy with your comment , was simply you stated that you only come because it was a cheap day.

My reply therefore was simply that , we do not  encourage individuals who only wish to shoot on the cheap days , there is no profit and

its designed to give extra value to regular supporters of the ranges.

As you rightly stated , I agreed on a email ( not knowing who the groups were ) , to allow the reduced rate. If you had stated at the beginning of the day , that

you had this agreedment , that is what you would have been charged. Everyone else , not being pre-booked as a group , were paying the normal rate.

I therefore apologise if I overstated the issue to you , but having worked everyday over Christmas and paying double time to staff to turn out , it is not a good time to

have hassle over payment.

I beleive we provide excellent value for money , and a shooting layout which is not available anywhere else in the North of England .

Wishing you a Happy New Year.

regards

Paul Thornton