Over & Under to Side by Side

Cornishfowler

Hello all, Abit of a strange one!

Although it is very popular to change from shooting side by side shotgun to over and Unders, has anyone heard of anyone changing the other way i.e. shooting over under and changing to side by side. Ive shot for many years with an over and under (9 years). I prefer the looks of Sbs and would like to change.

Any advice?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both. I really really like my Spanish sxs sidelock but after 40 years of single trigger I find the transition to double trigger somewhat challenging, having said that I haven't really knuckled down and I expect if you stuck at it you would get used....eventually ?

I bought a straight stock splinter fore end 25 inch side by side and fell in love. Very different to shoot than my 30 inch pistol grip over under, the side by side is much more fun. It just felt right from the get go.

If I found one with Multichokes, a bit more weight, slightly longer barrels, and a better fitting hand guard then I would be very tempted to get rid of the over under. 

Edited by Wb123

14 hours ago, ips said:

I have both. I really really like my Spanish sxs sidelock but after 40 years of single trigger I find the transition to double trigger somewhat challenging, having said that I haven't really knuckled down and I expect if you stuck at it you would get used....eventually ?

+1 carnt get used to the double triggers even tho i started many years ago with sxs mutch prefer the over & under or even the auto :good:

Been shooting my hammer gun since early December, exclusively. The guerini hasn't been out at all. I though if I had to point it at pheasants, is rather be good at it! 

I love it really, It got nice 32" barrels on that, it swings very well. Its a little bit too short for me but nothing I can't compensate for, so I stick with it!

And, I never had so many comments from other shooters and guns!

When I first started shooting it was all sxs  and s/b  in both hammer and hammerless shotguns , then we witnessed the autos and the pump action with a few o/u . The early o/u were mostly for down the line has sporting was little practised , I still prefer the sxs  but still use occasionally a auto and o/u which I have found is no different , no doubt the o/u is heaver than a sxs game gun but not has heavy has a fowling gun . It all boils down too if you are on that's good but if we miss that's makes you feel I should have used my o/u we all have good days and bad

Feltwad

33 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

This season I used my  hammer S XS on all my little syndicate and club shoots, just love it.  Shot at two pheasants and one woodcock yesterday.  Killed one  woodcock and two pheasants although it took the second barrel to bring down the former.

Blackpowdwer

Hope you used black powder cartridge  if so they are worth twice has many using nitro it is living the past .

Feltwad

A high Crosser

IMG_0364.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

37 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Go the whole hog and buy a SxS H/Gun preferably with Damascus barrels and defo English - finish off with paper cartridges and your shooting will move into a totally different world. I have both but cant hit anything with either so it matters not.

+1

Blackpowder

39 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Hope you used black powder cartridge  if so they are worth twice has many using nitro it is living the past .

Feltwad

A high Crosser

IMG_0364.jpg

Did  shoot blackpowder for a couple of seasons some time ago, now I find them to expensive, but loved the gentle recoil , flame and smoke of a different era.

Blackpowder

I started with a s/s over 40 years ago - then moved to o/u (Beretta S57 game, then Beretta SO6 game).  For many years I used the SO6 (and I still have it).  About 5 or 6 years ago the weight of the Beretta was becoming an issue on walked up days - and I moved to a s/s again (in this case almost exclusively an older AyA No 1, though I have some others).  This I use with 26 or 28 grammes for game and 21 grammes for clays.  I did buy lighter o/u's (Merkels) which are great and faster and lighter than the Berettas - more like a s/s, but just prefer the s/s, which I use for pretty much everything.  The AyA is about 6 3/4 lbs and was fitted for me, so not heavy, but with 21 grammes on clays and 28grammes, neither the gun no I suffer any recoil and could go on all day with those.  I find that up to 32 grammes is fine, but I wouldn't want to shoot a lot of those.

For me a s/s, whether boxlock or sidelock, English or Continental represents a lovely light, but thoroughly effective piece of kit for 'normal range' mixed game days, walked up shooting and sporting clays.

Regularly change from single trigger ou to double trigger sxs. 

Couple of rounds of skeet soon gets you eye and fingers in and after that it's like you've always done it. 

It's nowhere near as bad as switching from auto to a pump!!! 

Edited by Mr.C
Auto correct

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Shoot both and two pumpers and one semi auto. Honestly I never really notice the difference.  My regular gun these days is an over and under 410, but I would love to find a nice side by side 410.  Anybody seen/tried one of those 3 barrel jobs, now one of those in 410 would be the dogs doodahs.

So far the triple is only made in 12 and 20 (unless there’s a new model)

personaly find my triple shoots very well incredible gun for the money 

would have one in 410 like a shot 

op 

just get one and go for it as previously mentioned the single trigger Winchester would be a good starting point 

All the best 

of