Thanks, dug out all of my old loading data from claygame but could not find anything that suits. Most loads are for the standard pressures at 800 bar. I am guessing I could start with my old lead loads. I currently have a good load for ITM but am down to my last tub so need to move on . Any idea if ITM and bismuth perform similarly?

1200bar is a high proof level for a 3 1/4" chambered 8 bore........... my big 4 1/4" bore 8 bore is proofed to 1200bar!.......The longer the chambers the higher the proof level the proofhouse requires!

I can see no safety reason not to use lead formulas for Bismuth in a 1200bar proofed 3 1/4" x 8 bore gun, with Bismuth, as I doubt the pressure generated by a 3 1/4" length cartridge would get near to 1200bar.....but it's up to the individual to decide!

2 1/4oz of ITM in a card cup, propelled by TK8 are my favoured combination in my short chambered 8 bore, but I am getting short on these components myself!

Without the card cup (required when firing tungsten based shot) a load using 2 1/2oz of Bismuth will fit in a 3 1/4" case and should be fine (this is the payload the last Eley 8 bore Bismuth cartridges carried)

Not much up to date published data is available now for loading the big bores, so Clay-game data is probably a good starting point!

Thanks, your ITM load is similar to mine save I use blue dot. I follow the components Alan Myers used long ago as i still have his catalogues from the late 80's. I take the petals off the guilandi wad and replace it with a card shot cup split half way. I will try the bismuth with a lead load and see how it goes

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

here is what i did for 12gauge.

just replace lead shot (by volume) with bismuth by volume. so your shot measure should be the same for lead and bismuth. the actual weight from lead to bismuth should be 90% or thereabouts, so if you have a cartridge thats 2oz or 57grams or some such of lead, the measure of bismuth to replace the lead should be 50 gram or some such. its the same volume so fits in the shell nice and neat.

when i did the exact same thing with 12gauge and a fast is powder, the pressures were just alittle lower than the lead pressure. (i had a truckload of tests done)