Twenty one and out by 9:45.

JDog

Yesterday was a very frustrating day. I met up with Ginger Cat and despite our best efforts we could find no flight lines of note and when we departed in the early afternoon our bag consisted of one pigeon. I returned home, washed off the dog, cleaned my gun, made the fire only to be called by Clodhopper to join him on a return line. I know this line but my energy had disappeared so I stayed in front of the fire. He had a flight line of some magnitude judging by his call to me this morning.

There can be few advantages in driving round in a Ford Fiesta compared to a 4wd. The Fiesta was my hire car of late after my crash. Thankfully I now have a Ford Kuga on hire which does the trick. Without 4WD I was limited where I could go but parked up on terra firma I could still observe through my binos and I did spot a line which I thought would be good in a wind. This morning's wind was 20 mph at 7:00 am so I sneaked out of bed, made a flask of coffee and set off on the four mile journey to the line. It felt distinctly odd walking across a field in the dark to shoot pigeons.

I was in place with no hide at 8:00 and the first bird came at 8:15 in the half light and it was duly dispatched. The next hour provided terrific sport and I shot some pretty decent birds. Last week I put in full choke as an experiment and it proved it's worth today with some very dead birds at long distance. By 9:45 it was all over and I picked up twenty one birds which was a great reward.

thumbnail_20171231_101538_early_line.jpg

Edited by JDog

• 2 weeks later...