How many pigeons are shot by PW members 2018

plexer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, motty said:

Numbers wise, I think he has shot far less this year than normal.

I would say for the vast majority of us who can go back for several years, we have got our peak years behind us , alright there are still good bags to made at times ( mainly on stubble's ) but even these days are not as consistent as they once were .

As a pigeon forum it is fairly rare to see an individual make a three figure bag , even the great man himself ( P C ) don't make many three figure bags of pigeons , when you see big bags posted it is nearly always two shooting and very often three .

So why are big bags no longer made as regular as they once were ?

My first two reasons , and I am sure there are many more , are vast amounts of rape grown and dare I say it , Less pigeons about .

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

As a pigeon forum it is fairly rare to see an individual make a three figure bag , even the great man himself ( P C ) don't make many three figure bags of pigeons , when you see big bags posted it is nearly always two shooting and very often three .

My first two reasons , and I am sure there are many more , are vast amounts of rape grown and dare I say it , Less pigeons about .

I totally forgot, when assessing PCs bags, that it also included those shot by his pal DB, so apologies Motty for that.

Agree MM, that the amount of rape grown is one factor of large bags not being made, but I think that since rape has been introduced, it has sustained pigeons throughout the winter and you no longer see pigeons in poor condition at that time, that once was common. 

As I`ve never shot really large bags, as many on here have, I don`t consider myself really experienced enough to comment further.

However, looking over my own records , this year has been well down on previous years.

Anyway, enough of this conjecture, I wish all on Pigeon Watch a prosperous, healthy and happy New Year.

OB

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

I would say for the vast majority of us who can go back for several years, we have got our peak years behind us , alright there are still good bags to made at times ( mainly on stubble's ) but even these days are not as consistent as they once were .

I would have thought that there are many more 3 figure bags shot these days than there have ever been.

26 minutes ago, motty said:

I would have thought that there are many more 3 figure bags shot these days than there have ever been.

If there are, we don't seem to here about many on this forum from solo shooters , people like P C shoot more pigeons than most on this forum and most of his posts are with his mate , same as yourself, most of your posts in the summer was with your boy , Muncher and his brother , all very good bags but not the same as getting them by yourself . 

And like I say with the huge amount of rape about nowadays this have got to make it harder now than  when there was less of it , same with the lack of seed on the drillings ,and even the length of the stems on the barley and wheat making a difference with it being laid.

That is why I said for the majority of long serving pigeon shooters the big bags shot throughout the year are now down to mainly stubble's , of course there will always be exception to the rule and the odd big bag will be posted on growing crops such as greens and peas.

And I wonder how many of the old and younger hands who have been pigeon shooting for several years are getting bigger yearly bags now than in the past ?

6 minutes ago, marsh man said:

If there are, we don't seem to here about many on this forum from solo shooters , people like P C shoot more pigeons than most on this forum and most of his posts are with his mate , same as yourself, most of your posts in the summer was with your boy , Muncher and his brother , all very good bags but not the same as getting them by yourself . 

And like I say with the huge amount of rape about nowadays this have got to make it harder now than  when there was less of it , same with the lack of seed on the drillings ,and even the length of the stems on the barley and wheat making a difference with it being laid.

That is why I said for the majority of long serving pigeon shooters the big bags shot throughout the year are now down to mainly stubble's , of course there will always be exception to the rule and the odd big bag will be posted on growing crops such as greens and peas.

And I wonder how many of the old and younger hands who have been pigeon shooting for several years are getting bigger yearly bags now than in the past ?

I would still shoot 100 plus bags regularly on my own, but I choose to shoot with friends most of the time. PC would also shoot plenty on his own.

I don't think that many pigeon shooters frequent this site. I see and hear of lots of big bags shot all over the country that never get a mention on here.

13 minutes ago, motty said:

I would still shoot 100 plus bags regularly on my own, but I choose to shoot with friends most of the time. PC would also shoot plenty on his own.

I don't think that many pigeon shooters frequent this site. I see and hear of lots of big bags shot all over the country that never get a mention on here.

I agree Motty. There are not that many pigeon shooters on this forum if the lack of posts reporting their outings is anything to go by.

1 hour ago, motty said:

56 minutes ago, JDog said:

I agree Motty. There are not that many pigeon shooters on this forum if the lack of posts reporting their outings is anything to go by.

I am basing it on my own personal findings and what I am reading on this forum , after all it is a Pigeon shooting forum with several thousand members so we should get some idea of what is going on up ans down the country .

Another one of the questions was , are our yearly bags getting bigger or smaller , and I would say at a guess smaller .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I am basing it on my own personal findings and what I am reading on this forum , after all it is a Pigeon shooting forum with several thousand members so we should get some idea of what is going on up ans down the country .

Another one of the questions was , are our yearly bags getting bigger or smaller , and I would say at a guess smaller .

This is a pigeon shooting forum, but I don't think too many dedicated pigeon shooters are members. Some that might be, very rarely post.

I think more pigeons are being shot in this country than ever before. This may explain in part why game dealers have been paying such poor prices recently.

My numbers fluctuate, but my bags are usually between 2500 and 3500 per year.

17 minutes ago, motty said:

This is a pigeon shooting forum, but I don't think too many dedicated pigeon shooters are members. Some that might be, very rarely post.

I think more pigeons are being shot in this country than ever before. This may explain in part why game dealers have been paying such poor prices recently.

My numbers fluctuate, but my bags are usually between 2500 and 3500 per year.

Absolutely.

I probably know 8 at least localish here who take pretty big numbers of pigeons and not one is on here.In the big picture PW is not a major contributor to getting legit info on whats actually going on in the field.

18 hours ago, sako751sg said:

Absolutely.

I probably know 8 at least localish here who take pretty big numbers of pigeons and not one is on here.In the big picture PW is not a major contributor to getting legit info on whats actually going on in the field.

spot on there are a lot of people who just don't post the bags they get there are   other shooting forums and facebook pages with plenty of bag posts, I know I mentioned it to you last week one guy on one of  the facebook pages shoots around 14 to 16 thousand per year  mainly on his own  sometimes you will see posts were he had someone with him shooting so definatley a lot more being shot that we don't know about 

31 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

spot on there are a lot of people who just don't post the bags they get there are   other shooting forums and facebook pages with plenty of bag posts, I know I mentioned it to you last week one guy on one of  the facebook pages shoots around 14 to 16 thousand per year  mainly on his own  sometimes you will see posts were he had someone with him shooting so definatley a lot more being shot that we don't know about 

For sure.

See way more posted on FB pages for the last few years than on any forum.Good having dedicated pages for certain species as by and large there are not near so many people offended by trivial little things although it still goes on and still a fair bit keech spoken.

My total for 2018 shot over a lot of laid barley and wheat was 2632.

This is about my average over the past ten years.

I shoot all year round starting on spring drilling, laid crops and then stubbles. finishing on flighting birds two to three outings per week.

Here on the west coast of Scotland we do not have rape to continue decoying during winter.

Bags numbers were in the 40s,60s, 80s and a few 100s. Best days were 3 x 125s, 1 x 155 and a 185.

There are a lot more pigeons here than 35 years ago when a good bag resulted in a 25.

I am fortunate in that im retired and have a 24/7 pass so still getting pigeons.

As others have said I know of lots being shot all over the west.

17 minutes ago, tignme said:

My total for 2018 shot over a lot of laid barley and wheat was 2632.

This is about my average over the past ten years.

I shoot all year round starting on spring drilling, laid crops and then stubbles. finishing on flighting birds two to three outings per week.

Here on the west coast of Scotland we do not have rape to continue decoying during winter.

Bags numbers were in the 40s,60s, 80s and a few 100s. Best days were 3 x 125s, 1 x 155 and a 185.

There are a lot more pigeons here than 35 years ago when a good bag resulted in a 25.

I am fortunate in that im retired and have a 24/7 pass so still getting pigeons.

As others have said I know of lots being shot all over the west.

I am surprised at those numbers on the west coast but delighted for you. Many in the south would be jealous of those numbers.