Fire in Liverpool wrecks 1600 cars

7daysinaweek

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

I think you may find that if there is open public access from the highway the road traffic act applies so all vehicles need to be insured, so by default they have to pay out private land or not. 

I think this is right.  My car (this was years ago) was hit in a private works car park closed off by security/barriers with no public access, but had there been 'public access', he would have been covered.  The person who hit my car wasn't covered by his insurance.  Fortunately the damage was minor and he paid up voluntarily.  He had skidded on packed ice and slid into my parked car.

There will be a T&C notice somewhere on the walls of the car park (probably where you drive in) stating they accept no liability and owners park entirely at their own risk. All the usual stuff.

This whole thing could become a real big problem. How do they recover 1600 cars and store them? There is going to be a lot of arguments over liability

18 hours ago, krugerandsmith said:

Because it was a stupid remark as was your own based on old worn out very old inaccurate jokes and not worthy of this situation.

Are we talking about the SAME Liverpool here  ?  I am speaking of the one in Merseyside  !  I still live there and I shall inform my 2 neighbours who have recently had house burglaries and their cars taken that they were the victims of "old worn out jokes"  !  One of them is also a shooter and although no guns were taken, he has been advised to put his guns into storage for "a month or so", just in case they return. His car was found burned out in a very old and inaccurate suburb of ........................guess where.

26 minutes ago, Dougy said:

And just think 1 fire extinguisher could have prevented the whole thing and saved millions. 

But some jobs worth is proud to have saved the car park company a few bob. 

Probably true, but they get pinched, vandalised, set off ............ it can be rather more than a few bob to keep them in good order, but agreed - nothing like the cost now.

Edit following other comments ; By the way - this is NOT a comment aimed at Liverpool/Merseyside.  Fire saving apparatus gets vandalised everywhere

Edited by JohnfromUK

3 hours ago, Westley said:

Are we talking about the SAME Liverpool here  ?  I am speaking of the one in Merseyside  !  I still live there and I shall inform my 2 neighbours who have recently had house burglaries and their cars taken that they were the victims of "old worn out jokes"  !  One of them is also a shooter and although no guns were taken, he has been advised to put his guns into storage for "a month or so", just in case they return. His car was found burned out in a very old and inaccurate suburb of ........................guess where.

Very bad thing to happen but its happening all over the country. Four deaths by stabbing in London. No one cracking jokes about this and rightly so.

If you are a true Liverpudlian  don't encourage idiots by expanding on incidents that are happening everywhere.

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

And just think 1 fire extinguisher could have prevented the whole thing and saved millions. 

But some jobs worth is proud to have saved the car park company a few bob. 

Maybe a foam extinguisher but for a petrol fire Hmm

11 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Very bad thing to happen but its happening all over the country. Four deaths by stabbing in London. No one cracking jokes about this and rightly so.

If you are a true Liverpudlian  don't encourage idiots by expanding on incidents that are happening everywhere.

Encouraging idiots was never my intention, BUT  it was you that chose to respond to my post   ?

25 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

Come on lighten up. There are other areas in the country where youths raz around on trial bikes without helmets and faces covered with balaclavas, waving pistols at 3.00pm in the afternoon, but not many. The community still has a lot to do to sort this behaviour out and until then the jokes will still keep coming.

I remember being asked by kids “50p to mind your car mister” in the 1970’s in Toxteth. Some parts of Liverpool have improved but the reality is other areas have just declined. I remember the times in the 1980’s when folk would leave their front door open when they were expecting your visit. Not now! 

And yes I do know what I’m talking about because I work in the down town parts of the city one or two days a week.

Edited by Fisheruk

18 minutes ago, krugerandsmith said:

I'm sure nobody on PW wants me to write a thesis on the different types and uses of fire extinguishers. 

But any would have suppressed the fire better than none at all, in a perfect world then ABC Foam would be my choice in all fires. 

Happy. 

5 minutes ago, BRYAN3 said:

I do think there will be more of these fires in the future because car makers can't resist stuffing there cars wirh electric/elecronic everything.

That is true, but they are also (in theory anyway) much better protected with LOTS of fuses.  I had an X5 BMW for a time and I think there were approaching 100 fuses!  Everything seemed to have a separate fuse.

It was believed to have started in an 'old Landrover'.  I reckon he left his "Foxin Lamp" on inadvertantly and the 6 million candle power set fire to the vehicle parked opposite him  !    :whistling:

Tin Hat on and Yep I'll get me coat  !

Edited by Westley