Jump to it !!!!!

Walker570

Saw this morning a warning about Australian Flu appearing in the UK.  You can guess what symptoms to look for.

I think it might have already infiltrated this house as soon as I got up my wife told me to jump to it:).

The drug companies have already found they are not making enough money from the standard injection and we must now be given a different one, so I am thinking they have dreamt up this new flu so they can sell our NHS another type. 

Don't ever underestimate flu. It can kill an otherwise perfectly health person in 48 hours.  The lungs just fill up and even today its a killer. Once you get dozens or hundreds of patients the hospitals won't cope.

Its a virus and viruses can mutate very quickly,  vaccination is a very cheap option compared to an epidemic. I had 'real flu' about 30 years ago and it was months before I felt right again

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Don't ever underestimate flu. It can kill an otherwise perfectly health person in 48 hours.  The lungs just fill up and even today its a killer. Once you get dozens or hundreds of patients the hospitals won't cope.

Its a virus and viruses can mutate very quickly,  vaccination is a very cheap option compared to an epidemic. I had 'real flu' about 30 years ago and it was months before I felt right again

+1

I have the injection (privately from Boots and have done for some years now) and costs me about £13 I think this year.  I know the injection is not all that effective, but it is all we have to try and avoid this virus.  All I can say is if you had real flu, you would pay £13 many many times over to be better.  It is a VERY unpleasant illness and can be fatal in healthy people, not just those who have other ailments or conditions.  Apart from the cold/chesty and breathing symptoms, you get aching in the whole body that just won't go away.

20 minutes ago, crichbish said:

I had proper flu around 5 years ago, left me with a scar on my heart, lifetime on medication and other issues.  Don't understand estimate it.

How did you know you had a scar? I only ask as i had "real" flu in October! I was in bed for 9 days!! i work for myself so do not take time off for colds etc.  This knocked me for six, no matter what flu tablets, paracetamol,iboprufen etc etc, i took had no effect what so ever. The last time i had more than a day off due to illness i was 12yrs old and in hospital with pnumonia! I can honestly say that this is the first time in over 40yrs that i have had real flu. Previously to this i thought i had flu most years, but now realise it was only a cold! I dont know how much weight i lost but i lost two inches from my waistline. If i was 70yrs old i reckon it would have finished me off!!

6 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

How did you know you had a scar? I only ask as i had "real" flu in October! I was in bed for 9 days!! i work for myself so do not take time off for colds etc.  This knocked me for six, no matter what flu tablets, paracetamol,iboprufen etc etc, i took had no effect what so ever. The last time i had more than a day off due to illness i was 12yrs old and in hospital with pnumonia! I can honestly say that this is the first time in over 40yrs that i have had real flu. Previously to this i thought i had flu most years, but now realise it was only a cold! I dont know how much weight i lost but i lost two inches from my waistline. If i was 70yrs old i reckon it would have finished me off!!

I had a dose of real flu about 20 yrs ago . The full works , coughing up blood etc. I lost three stones over two weeks , and it was around twelve months later before I felt completely better.

I was much younger and fitter then ,I reckon it would see me off now.

I had flu in the Winter of 1976. Was bad for 2 weeks, was a mild dose. 

Had it again in December 1998. It went into pneumonia. I lost 2 stone and was off work for 5 weeks. OH was wrapping me in towels I sweated so much. He was working from home and nursed me through it as the hospitals were overflowing and the nursing staff were going down with it. There were around 30,000 died of it that Winter.

I pay £10 every year at our local  pharmacy for a flu jab now.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

11 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

I had irregular heartbeats following the flu,  couple of episodes where I collapsed and following tests,  cardiac mri, electrical stimulation test and echo, they confirmed a scar. Only 2 possible causes of scar,  hereditary condition or virus. Tests confirmed clear of hereditary condition so cause was confirmed as virus. Just **** luck.

On 03/01/2018 at 10:36, crichbish said:

I had irregular heartbeats following the flu,  couple of episodes where I collapsed and following tests,  cardiac mri, electrical stimulation test and echo, they confirmed a scar. Only 2 possible causes of scar,  hereditary condition or virus. Tests confirmed clear of hereditary condition so cause was confirmed as virus. Just **** luck.

Thanks for the response

On 03/01/2018 at 08:45, loriusgarrulus said:

I had flu in the Winter of 1976. Was bad for 2 weeks, was a mild dose. 

Had it again in December 1998. It went into pneumonia. I lost 2 stone and was off work for 5 weeks. OH was wrapping me in towels I sweated so much. He was working from home and nursed me through it as the hospitals were overflowing and the nursing staff were going down with it. There were around 30,000 died of it that Winter.

I pay £10 every year at our local  pharmacy for a flu jab now.

I will from now on!

53 minutes ago, amateur said:

One of the few advantages of being of pensionable age (apart from the bus pass and, of course, the pension, oh! and the free prescriptions) is the free flu jab.

I've not had flu for years

I am a big believer in the flu jab and have paid for it (from Boots) for several years - and prior to that had it from my employer for a time as well. 

Unfortunately I'm not convinced this year it will be effective. The NHS one covers 3 'strains' (H1N1 type A, H3N2 type A and Influenza B) and the most common strain being seen (H3N2 types A and B) isn't fully covered in these three.  Some injections (including the Boots one) have a 4th strain covered and it isn't clear to me whether this provides protection against the strains being seen.  None are thought to be very effective (about 40% effective) and less than that in people over 65.