Remington 1100 conversion to FAC

Philip16storm

Hi all

i am new to this forum so my apologies if this topic has been covered before.

i have recently been given a Remington 1100 3 shot which I would like to turn into at least a five shot, as far as I can see the magazine is crimped to restrict any more cartridges being put in, my question is has anybody successfully removed this crimp before and if so how? 

thanks

philip

I'll just answer one of your posts. :rolleyes:

If you did The job yourself I'm sure you would be close to breaking the law. Your Remy 1100 will be needed to be put on ticket as a Firearm, you cant do that personally. You will also need to apply for a FAC shotgun prior to the modification.

So in short, take it to an RFD after 1st applying for your FAC. 

Hi thanks for your replies

i should have been more specific, I have a slot for a class 1 shotgun on my fac so no issues there, I have spoken to the police and they are more than happy (legality wise) for me to do the conversion, although they have said once I have done it it can never be returned to a class 2.

my original question was really from an engineering point, I no from past experience with guns such as the benelli m2 etc it was as simple as removing the tube and "tapping" a 19mm socket down to push the crimp out.

the issue I have is it seems the mag tube on a 1100 is fixed rather than removable like the benelli, I did think about having the tube ground/milled out but am worried that will make the area where the crimp is very weak.

any suggestions?

thanks 

philip

Remove the tube   a little heat should help you unscrew it and  use A 19mm socket  on a bar tapped through will often work to remove the crimp please just get your gun put on to your fac before you do the work or order a new mag tube from Remington or after market such as Nordic 

no real fuss or bother

mowdy

Edited by mowdy
Spelling

Hi mowdy

thanks for your reply, I didn't realise that you can remove the mag tube, if you can that makes life so much easier, I have just had a look at the Nordic extension tubes and they would be an easy solution. Do you no if they have a groove for the gas o ring on an 1100 or whether infact you need the groove at all?

p.s this is all in prep, nothing will be done until it's on my fac.

cheers

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It would be far easier to buy another Remington that is already set up for section 1

My thoughts too ?

that said if I was to have another sec1 shotgun it most certainly would not be a Remmy 1100 . You can bet it’s had a hard life it not a long life , I would want something that could take some stick. . But hey that’s just me. 

Edited by stevo

to be honest i completely agree, for years i had benelli's and the 1100 is not even playing the same game let alone in the same league, but basically i sold my benellu a few years back as i had no use for it anymore. I now do have use for one but with children coming along etc i can not warrant spending the money to get another, someone kindly offered the forementioned 1100 for free so i accepted, i would like it fac for two reasons 1 they are much better for vermin control and 2 a class 1 shotgun is all i have on my fac (not interested in rifles)  so if i don't get another before it expires i will have to surrender it, now you all have my life story could we get back to the original question rather than discussing everything but!!

Replace the mag tube it should be glued in or pinned ,Trying to remove the crimp may be possible but it is thin and any damage and you will need a new one anywayhttps://www.brownells.co.uk/epages/UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=190162&ViewAction=ViewFaceted&FacetValue_CategoryID=190162&FacetValue_PreDefString_en_2390542=Remington&FacetValue_PreDefString_en_74517257=1100&CurrencyID=GBP.

Edited by Andy H

I Thought a sect 2 guns that have been crimped had to be pinned with a hardened steel pin or it kind of negates the point of crimping it, my 2 guns including a 1100 have pinned tubes.

i would agree a new tube would be the way forward as the tubes are a bit thin and you will need a longer spring if you are going all out so send it to the gunsmith and do it proper!

Almost impossible to remove the crimp so that the pistons slide over smoothly on the outside and cartridges move smoothly inside the tube.

Crimping stretches the metal and will not shrink back

Cost wise , a new tube is not worth doing...they are silver soldered in , not screwed or pinned as previously suggested..soldering produces a lot of heat , hence the receiver bluing will be ruined and will have to be reblued..soldering also will require a jig to keep the barrel and mag tube in alignement..

More sensible would be to sell your gun and purchase an unrestricted  1100...fac 1100s are a lot cheaper than restricted 1100s

I must be going mad!!! I'm sure when I checked this thread last night somebody had put on they had 2 FAC 1100 for sale, but now it's gone?!!!!!!

also yellow van man, was your wife's an 1100 with the full crimp all the way around the mag tube? Have seen loads of stuff on YouTube about removing the dimples on early remmys with a socket but nothing on the full crimp.