Asbestos? scrap stainless twin wall flu insulation

Teal

I’ve recently taken down a substantial twin wall flu which used to be there for an aga fitted in the 80s. The scrap dealer said to remove the insulation and would get a much better clean scrap price. Seeing the insulation wrap at each end I thought this would continue through between the two walls.

However instead there seems to be a greyish white material which becomes dust as the inner liner is removed. My big concern is might this be asbestos which I didn’t really sign up for, or is it something harmless...

75B1D55F-2148-487A-9F81-3A120E764249.jpeg

don't even consider messing with it. It is also worth remembering that many products made as an alternative to asbestos after the ban were manufactured in contaminated plant and machinery and could contain asbestos even though distributed as none asbestos.

I think you can contact your council for safe removal

It looks like White Asbestos for which the hazard level was raised several years ago, and corresponding handling recommendations altered accordingly.  RPE used must have a protection factor of 20 or more and full overalls need to be worn during handling (BS EN ISO 13982-1 rated).

I certainly would not be handling that indoors without such breathing protection or outdoors come to that.  To reduces risks, thoroughly dampen all surfaces using a fine mist water spray...do NOT just chuck into a bag.  Some local recycling centres may accept double bagged asbestos waste to a maximum of half a dozen bags or so (there is a limit) as long as it is transported and disposed of in a thoroughly dampened state but you do have to check beforehand.  Most commercial disposal is licenced due to it being classified as hazardous waste and all commerical asbestos removal is now licenced.  See  here:  http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/faq.htm

I would echo the comments above. Unless trained and equipped to handle asbestos, make it safe by dampening and covering and call in your local council for safe removal.

Edited by Savhmr

Thank you very much for all your replies. Really appreciate, and I am just glad that I stopped when I did. Everything thoroughly misted and the open section has been clingfilm wrapped and then going to double bag it all. Fortunately I have space and will just store it for now, as it is bound to not be the last of it. Wiltshire council are very difficult with asbestos disposal (I found some sheets previously) so will book in someone commercial who can take it all away safely at the same time as some asbestos gutters are removed.

I believe that what you have is the very worst form of asbestos in terms of the potential carcinogen threat. If you haven't already cleared the lot pay someone with the right protective clothing and disposal methods and qualifications rather than doing it yourself.

The double walled insulated flue commonly used was by Selkirk.  It was originally called "metalbestos", but the manufacturer states they never used asbestos, but rockwool.  I can only suggest you get it checked.  We installed metalbestos in the 1970s and when taken out it was checked  - and found to be non-asbestos.  Without testing, you cannot be sure, but in the early 1980s it was still legal to use in some circumstances.