Dash Cams...worthwhile?

Savhmr

Getting sick and tired of meeting muppets on the road who think that highway rules do not apply to them or who are clearly driving dangerously.  Had several close misses over the Christmas period due to drunk (drugged up?) or dangerous drivers but pointless reporting the incidents as no action would be taken without evidence.  Anyone here use a dash cam, and more to the point, has anyone managed to get some of these muppets who shouldn't be driving prosecuted on the basis of dashcam evidence?  In two short weeks we've encountered three or four  people coming towards use either over the white lines by more than a wheel width or on the wrong side of the road completely;  one person cut us up overtaking, then brake tested us before going the wrong way to get back off a roundabout after the incident; one person ignoring right of way and barging down the middle of a restricted road, forcing us off the road even though we had right of way. 

i think they are very worthwhile, i bought two for myself and the good lady wife after she was involved in an accident on a roundabout in which she was not at fault. when it came to trying to work out who was at fault the other party lied and tried to say my wife entered the roundabout from a completely different road!! if we had had the camera the evidence would of been there for all to see!!

there was talk a while ago of the police asking for dashcam footage of people doing crazy stuff so they could prosecute if possible!?

some people now have two cams one facing forward and one facing back!

Also contact your insurance company first as they might offer a discount if you buy an approved make! 

watch the TV series caught on camera, if I drove more I would defiantly have one, been into Manchester a few times lately and with the road works the place is mental. Don't think it will be long before insurance companies are asking for people to have them.

I have 2 fitted since a relation was the victim of a crash for cash claim. Her Insurance paid out because the other driver 'conjured' up a witness and he also claimed for the ' invisible ' passenger. A dashcam would have caught him reversing into her at a roundabout, plus the fact that he was alone and there was no witness on the footpath either. He then drove off.  She paid for her own repairs but her Insurance paid out £2500 to the other guy  ?

I have one in my van .

But don't for the life of you tell your insurance company about it.untill you want to make a claim and your sure your snow white. And can't be prosecuted. 

If your at all at fault .You can be done by your own evidence .

To get a discount from an insurer .You have to have the camera on for every journey you take. And must always provide footage of an event and some times just random footage to prove you have it on .fail to do so voids your insurance. 

Ps .if you have a bump and you know you have footage DONT mention it to the other driver .incase your at fault and he insists on your footage to prosecute you .

Snow white first. .

Ps insurance company's give around a 10 % discount . (Not a massive incentive ) 

Definatly worth having,although some insurance companies welcome them some have the nerve to increase not lower your premium as it's classed as a modification.Have them in both cars,didn't benefit from telling insurance but didnt go up either.

I can understand why after seeing Muppets with them fixed bang in the middle of the windscreen with the camera on.Mine are tucked away (not in eyeline) and screens timed to go out within seconds of the unit powered up.

28 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I have one in my van .

But don't for the life of you tell your insurance company about it.untill you want to make a claim and your sure your snow white. And can't be prosecuted. 

If your at all at fault .You can be done by your own evidence .

To get a discount from an insurer .You have to have the camera on for every journey you take. And must always provide footage of an event and some times just random footage to prove you have it on .fail to do so voids your insurance. 

Ps .if you have a bump and you know you have footage DONT mention it to the other driver .incase your at fault and he insists on your footage to prosecute you .

Snow white first. .

Ps insurance company's give around a 10 % discount . (Not a massive incentive ) 

Er, OK..............................can I put an ad in the 'Wanted' section for 7 dwarfs to put in the back seat too ??