What a Start to 2018

6.5x55SE

My Nephew had loaded and patterned some .410 3" 150grain Steel 4's and 246 grain PWS 6's.

Now my challenge was To get my Nephew his First shot at a Moon Pink my Grandson his first Goose of 2018 myself the same also to kill a Pink with the Yildiz O/U .410 using Non Toxic shot. Due to work  weather Moon etc i decided Monday night was to be the night. The place i chose was a field next to the Foreshore which has a 100yrd strip which is trying it's hardest to revert back to Marsh even the boundary bottom and sides dyke's get Saltwater at big tide's no big numbers of Geese use this area but with a Moon 600-800 Pink's can often rather than flight several miles to roost stop short and use this line back to feed. Driving down we crossed fingers the Rain would darken the sky enough for the Geese to go to roost. With a slow drizzle of rain i let the 3 Dog's out Now way say's Conor  " What " Geese I'm sure Geese went by  !!!!!!! No mistake this time Wink Wink 5 dark shadows sweep up the disappeared to feed. Putting Nephew and Conor in what the past had told was the hot spots i settled the Dogs out of the increasing wind. By now although it was drizzling of rain Pink's was going to feed also coming off the feed. Praying willing Conor and Nephew to get there Geese i noticed 7 shape's battling the wind going inland my first shot crippled the Goose my second cleanly killed it having taken the Pink from my Dog  a pair appeared no mistake this time both folded cleanly sleeving my 20ga I hear shots from Conor and Nephew. As the Rain got heaver i walked over to find Nephew had his First ever Moon Pink sadly Conor had missed . Within 60yrd of the Truck a goose calling loudly answered my call together Nephew and I said Conor in front like myself his First shot crippled the Pink but his second well and truly found its mark.

Sitting in the Truck drinking Hot Chocolate i called the Wife to update her when I was told Geese it clearing . Off we went again only this time I was armed with the Yildiz .410 stopping at my spot we hear Pink's with no time to move we all hide in the old creek with only a small piece of cloud this was going to be tricky 5 Pink's battling the wind the height of the average tree waiting praying i finally up'd the gun PoP the lead Pink threw it's head back before i could shoot again the remaining 4 caught the wind and went back into clear inky starry sky But the joy and shouting coming from the creek you'd had thought we had ALL won the lottery.

Within minutes a proper strong flight developed sadly my Nephew struggled to see them but did shoot another Pink Conor was in good form Stopping on 7 Pink's myself sitting next to Conor and Nephew achieved the perfect end to the evening when one of the few times the cloud was just right 20+ Pink's battling the wind looking huge in the Moon lit sky i killed the First with 150 grain Steel 4's then the second with 246 grain PWS 6's Job done in more ways than one 15 Moon Pink's what a result. 

Only 12 Pink's as Nephew had taken 3 last night.02201814830.jpg.17135fe007528301c26989fd2eea560d.jpg02201814916.jpg.de78dccc3ff5f5857d694addcab9fd34.jpg02201814948.jpg.b60f1f938bdac985452bc88c3981e867.jpg02201814118.jpg.de575b60abcd697da9d86c2da928f58b.jpg022018141035.jpg.1c9f2e6bc3e76eef9e8ba856d3fd9acc.jpg02201814717.jpg.89de124761b2ca760aea968daee61dd4.jpg

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by 6.5x55SE
Spelling

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Don’t wish to doubt you but is that correct a 150 gram and 246 gram .410 cartridge?

Well spotted should be Grains  have a look in reloading section i asked for Data and Donkey very kindly put up a link. 

Thanks Mat it was about the Two young ones not me. Moon is tricky but as i posted before Moon shooting especially for Geese is my thing has been for 40+ years :good:

Edited by 6.5x55SE
Spelling

17 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Really enjoyed the read 6.5, almost felt like I was there, the mighty fourten ehh, an underestimated gun in the correct hands (not in mine) and all power to you. Them memories for you and the boys that will never fade. Never wildfowled meself and I take it is goose for tea?

atb

7diaw

Thank you :good: Yes Goose and Goose mince for a while.

Tightchoke thanks :good: After chasing Geese of many species in the area i was after 40+ years I've got a fair idea what there habits are and the many years experience plays a Big part along with the weather :good:

A remarkable feat to kill geese under the moon with a 4.10 Boyd , well done to all three and good luck for the rest of the season.

I was going after geese tonight, as at long last there was a strong Southerly wind , ideal sort of night , got as far as the A47 roundabout going out of Yarmouth and there was two police cars stopping the traffic going up the Acle straight due to a accident or something  .

I turned round and went down my marshes , trudged across flooded fields in heavy rain , sat there till pitch dark and all I got was , cold and wet :no: , never had a shot , never mind there is another day tomorrow :good:.

39 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A remarkable feat to kill geese under the moon with a 4.10 Boyd , well done to all three and good luck for the rest of the season.

I was going after geese tonight, as at long last there was a strong Southerly wind , ideal sort of night , got as far as the A47 roundabout going out of Yarmouth and there was two police cars stopping the traffic going up the Acle straight due to a accident or something  .

I turned round and went down my marshes , trudged across flooded fields in heavy rain , sat there till pitch dark and all I got was , cold and wet  , never had a shot , never mind there is another day tomorrow :good:.

Happy New Year John and thank you.

Unlucky on your flight if the Wind comes as predicted in the morning you'll be able to knock em down with a Garden Gun . You have a good end to the season to 

17 minutes ago, m greeny said:

Well done Boyd and the young ones. It just shows if you know your ground you can put yourself in the right place no matter what calibre of choice you use. Awesome stuff I bet you were all over the moon ?

Thanks Mark :good: With both the Boy's work schedule it was last night or wait till the Moon end of January. I've always been of the nature " grab the chance while you can " and I'm so glad we did Yes it's blowing well here but no Moon and don't look like there is a chance till probably Saturday :|

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

I turned round and went down my marshes , trudged across flooded fields in heavy rain , sat there till pitch dark and all I got was , cold and wet  , never had a shot , never mind there is another day tomorrow :good:.

That A47 is something else, even before 6am!

1 hour ago, motty said:

That would be a good enough start to anyone's year! I still haven't had my first goose of the year, but I did kill a pair of pintail with one shot this morning ( and also my first pintail of the season).

Well done on the Pintail Wayne :good:

That flight was the first Conor and Nephew had at Pink's this season :yes:

Thank you ALL for your kind words and reply's :good:

Great report 6.5 and nice start to a new year for you all,moon flights are  a very special aspect of wildfowling we are lucky to have .

out of interest in donkeys link, which steel load  did you end up using please?

And did you try many of them before settling on that one.

On 03/01/2018 at 16:25, lancer425 said:

Great report 6.5 and nice start to a new year for you all,moon flights are  a very special aspect of wildfowling we are lucky to have .

out of interest in donkeys link, which steel load  did you end up using please?

And did you try many of them before settling on that one.

Thanks mate.

Load ID 120130-3664 my nephew loaded three and patterned them which i saw and tried them on the Pink's

On 03/01/2018 at 21:52, pintale pete said:

Well done Boyd and the lads great start to the new year  :good:

Hey up Pete thanks mate .

Still can't find those elusive B........... R... Pink's. Have a good trip North " Nut " a few for me mate :good:

On 05/01/2018 at 17:37, 6.5x55SE said:

Thanks mate.

Load ID 120130-3664 my nephew loaded three and patterned them which i saw and tried them on the Pink's

Thanks for that mate i will try a few i have an old 410 , you have got me wanting to try it on ducks n geese now.

Edited by lancer425