how easy is it to import a nail gun from the USA

quentyn

hi all,

Is there any issues in importing a nailgun from the USA ? i dont believe that they are licensed ( you can buy some models on amazon here https://www.amazon.co.uk/ITW-HammerShot-Velocity-Actuated-Replaces/dp/B002YHIW8O/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1514915734&sr=8-20&keywords=ramset

however I want one of these - and i wouldnt mind paying £65 for it

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ramset-MasterShot-0-22-Caliber-Powder-Actuated-Tool-40088/202046595

can i legally just get one shipped over ?  or do i need to get an RFD to receive it for me ?

any answers on a postcard please

Do a Google search of American retailers and see if any of them will sell you one, Hit add to basket and then see how  much the carriage and import charges are.....!!!!

Best of luck on that one.....nice thought but its going to be 4 x your £65 budget

11 hours ago, moor man said:

You chance being stung with import tax and high delivery charges (on this side of the pond) on top of what you've paid in U.S. Don't know if you need any other paperwork tho?

Good luck!

You will pay duty typically 5% vat at 20% on goods and carriage and a fee to the shipper this end for processing  the vat

i don’t believe they are restricted as firearms but check the guidance as they are specifically excluded other wise every nail gun in the uk would be on FAC and they aren't (at one point some were?)

(ring customs and ask they will know better than an FEO)

Ask feo......its a nail gun not a firearm....go to your local hire store and hire one....and ppl wonder why firearms processing is slow when this is somethin they may get asked....

So here goes anyone can buy a "hilti" type concrete fixing gun.......

You may be asked to fill in a form for the caps..but again anyone can get these as this is a tool not firearm.......

They are not classed as a firearm due to the end tip having to be depressed and in contact to fire. As others have said cabinets would full of them :lol:.

Can you buy the nails in the uk for the model your buying ?

Edited by figgy

I found and bought it from eBay....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132447328256

About £130 posted, just gonna sit back and see of it arrives. 

I did contact home depot.. but it was a long drawn out issue, not really interested in shipping to uk and wanted roughly  £260 ? 

Caps and nails available in the UK from several suppliers. 

to confirm its not the owning that i am concerned with but the importation from the USA - i would really rather not have the police on my door if there is an importation issue

however if its all OK i will tell my relative what I want for my birthday and they can buy from home depot  :)

thanks all for the responses !

Edited by quentyn

If the import tax isn’t paid upfront the post office will pay it and then add on their cut which has to be paid before they let you have it. I used to buy a lot of vinyl records from America, up to about 10 years ago you usually got away without paying the tax but then they tightened up.