looking for info on .22 fac guns

tigger got stichs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ive owned a daystate x2 in 40 ftlbs for 10 years the only thing ive replaced is the breech seal fantastic gun, with good stopping power out to 70 yards on rabbits using 21 grain h n barracuda match pellets.Just bought a new rifle to a  daystate regal xl in 40 ftlbs again deadly accurate, expensive but worth every penny. Being hand built you do get a descent rifle that will last years so if you can find one for the money you would have a good rifle.

Ha Ha I read the word daystate earlier and thought someone will bite guaranteed.

back to the op, I bought a webley Axor for the very reason your saying, reviews say it was designed for fac, and its supposed to be a simple conversion. hopefully one day I'll find out.

2 hours ago, DC177 said:

BSA Scorpion is always a good value option.

I would be interested in everyone's views on the best power level. 35lb seems about right; 40+ seems like overkill.

That's a good question .

And it largely depends on your chosen pellet. .

Basically you don't want to significantly   exceed 900 fps. As accuracy goes to pot with most pellets. 

I shoot a13.4 grn .22 at around 870 fps for 23 fpe. A 16 grn at 900 fps is 28 fpe .an 18 grn jsb at 900 is 32 fpe a 21 grn bis mag at 900 fps is about 35  fpe (ish ) 

Personally i don't like heavy weight pellets .they carry too much energy a long way for my liking and don't transmit energy as well as a lighter one. 

For a good balance the 16 grn jsb at 28 fpe takes some beating. 

Ps they all have the same trajectory and enough retained energy at all useable ranges. So it comes down to accuracy , air amount  used and pellet fall out risk .

6 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

That's a good question .

And it largely depends on your chosen pellet. .

Basically you don't want to significantly   exceed 900 fps. As accuracy goes to pot with most pellets. 

I shoot a13.4 grn .22 at around 870 fps for 23 fpe. A 16 grn at 900 fps is 28 fpe .an 18 grn jsb at 900 is 32 fpe a 21 grn bis mag at 900 fps is about 35  fpe (ish ) 

Personally i don't like heavy weight pellets .they carry too much energy a long way for my liking and don't transmit energy as well as a lighter one. 

For a good balance the 16 grn jsb at 28 fpe takes some beating. 

Ps they all have the same trajectory and enough retained energy at all useable ranges. So it comes down to accuracy , air amount  used and pellet fall out risk .

Very good information, especially the last two points. 

Personally I shoot a .22 RWS Excaliber which is a Webley FX2000 variant, this is set at 28ft/lb using 16gn AA's and gives me 34 shots within a 7ft/sec spread without a regulator. 

2 hours ago, DC177 said:

I was advised by the Ratworks that the Ultra was too short for fac conversion...

Thats funny as bsa used to make the bsa ultra as a fac gun in .22 around 20 fpe. And that was the older mmc  version .

Jd hunter on here .has a hybrid ultra fac .177 and gets around 40 shots I believe.

16 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Are all PCP's not "hand built" Hedgewizard? I am not aware of any built by robotics - Air Arms hand build their guns after manufacturing the vast majority of their own parts "in house" - can Daystate say the same? Just asking

To be honest never thought of it that way, only no when you order a daystate you have to wait 4 to 8 weeks due to them being handbuilt,thats coming from daystate,i do own a s200 and a rws excaliber to, the later being made in sweden which is a nice rifle in the the 12ftlbs variant and very accurate,the s200 my lad uses which has a magazine conversion in 177 and nice to shoot.

1 hour ago, bigman said:

Well sorted Rapid 7 there's nothing finer my friend, or how about a hw80 springer ?. That would be fun sawston country store has one going for peanuts 

I'd agree about a Rapid................... if you could find one for under £500 that hasn't had every Tom D1ck and Harry having ago at "Tuning" it.

Edited by Dasher
Doesn't like "Richard"

11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Never thought about trajectory with .22 fac, does it stay loopy then or flatten out given the extra fps?

And I doubt your chances of finding an un abused rapid for around £500 but you never know