.243 stalking rifle Recomendations/ feedback

plank06

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

Just the weight, I see little point in a varmint for Stalking!

Each to their own!!

Nor can I if I’m honest, but I prefer the look of the Varmint and all my stalking consisted of woodland Roe, which don’t really require lengthy stalks. 

I also have a very good Norwegian sling. 

I ended up with a Browning x-bolt stainless fluted barrel. liked the feel of it, managed to get a Zeiss scope and A-tec maxim mod in budget.  I was also recommended the Mauser m12 which was a brilliant looking bit of kit,  but didn't leave much for everything else. Thanks for all the replys!!

I can’t find fault with a howa. I paid £550 plus £200 on a mod. 

It left me £450 in my budget for a scope and I’ll eat my hat if any normal shooter can out shoot it with a browning , tikka etc .i know the guy who screw cuts them as they come in as all howas are none cut as they are imported and he recons the barrel quality is right up with the rest. He even uses howas himself and he owns the shop with remmy, tikka , Webley etc . 

The triggers on the latest ones are very good . 

I think you haven’t a lot to choose between most guns In the £1000 and under . 

I admit life would be boring if we all shot the same guns

Edited by team tractor

8 hours ago, Archie-fox said:

What are you putting thru the 6.5x55 mate I’m using Norma 120grn on roe at the moment it’s a great little round..

Load my own but they are 120grn absolute tack driver....:good:

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

It left me £450 in my budget for a scope and I’ll eat my hat if any normal shooter can out shoot it with a browning , tikka etc .i know the guy who screw cuts them as they come in as all howas are none cut as they are imported and he recons the barrel quality is right up with the rest. He even uses howas himself and he owns the shop with remmy, tikka , Webley etc . 

My 308 is a Howa got it a couple of years ago i did put a timminy trigger in it as the original was just a tad heavy....

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

I'l second this, paid 500 I think for howa and pred 8 mod pretty much unused, accurate, reliable, leaves money for scope and plenty of ammo! And you won't shout if you drop it 

21 hours ago, deadeye said:

for the money my first choice would be a Tikka t3x stainless synthetic or laminate.  If not the Tikka, I would get the Browning X Bolt stainless stalker.

i have both rifles (not in 243 win) and they both shoot sub MOA   out of the box

This...

i have a tikka T3X in 6.5x55 and had a x-bolt in 243 both great Guns but just used the T3X more and more..so sold the x-bolt 

Personally I use a CZ550 American in .243 superb single set trigger set up if you want it, say when paper punching, or use the 2 stage trigger as normal. Just love it.

You wont go far wrong either with the Tikka T3  the Howa 1500 or the Browning x Bolt. All great tools for the monies.

I think all of the above now come threaded for Moderators.

Enjoy which ever you decide.