Touch of wind today

old'un

You cant beat a good wind to get the pigeons moving, it was not the type of day for trying to erect the hide, so I spent 3 hours on a good flight line along the side of a small wood that backs onto a field of rape, shot 34, picked 25, they were hard targets in this wind, well that’s my excuse for using 78 cartridges.:yes:

pigeons.jpg

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

Super sport that, you did very well to yous so few cartes in that wind. well done you.:good:

I don’t usually shoot that well in those conditions, but it was just one of those days when they came along the front of the wood and presented themselves for a perfect shot, the wind kept them low and fairly close to the tree line, I would have normally expected to use around 90+ cartridges in that wind as some of them were like rockets.

On another note, when I was watching these birds the farmer pulled up behind me and we had a chat about not hearing any gas guns and the smallish flock numbers (100-150), there are lots of big woods in this area, usually at this time of year you see big pigeon numbers on the rape and moving about, with a big smile on his face, he said he had not seen it this quiet for a long time, I agreed. :sneaky2:

Good shooting old'un, makes a change from setting up hides and decoy patterns, I think until we get some more frosts the birds will stay spread out, I am seeing some improvement in numbers but not the usual large flocks we like to see at this time of year,

Looking forward to February when we can get into the pheasant woods for some roost shoots, :good::good: