New .17 HMR round coming soon

7 hours ago, Eric Mayer said:

New bullet, the Speer VNT.  They are saying it has a thinner jacket than the VMax, so more explosive.  We'll do more on it in about a week, when we have some ammo.

Really so Please tell/explain what " Explosive " they have built into the Tips :hmm:

11 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

That's why you have the 20gr, hits and penetrate's harder/further.

That's all fine and dandy if your rifle shoots same POA with both and you manage to swap over bullets in the little time you have. But unlikely in any event, that's assuming I'm correct regarding jacket thickness. 

On 04/01/2018 at 19:12, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Well that will be the same 2650 fps as the A17 CCI's l've been using the past year, but oh that yellow tip, as against the grey one fitted on the A17's will make all the difference to whatever is hit, not!

Another repackage job l'm afraid + no doubt a price increase.

Yup, looks to be just the a17 rebranded

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=949CC

But remember - unless you own a Savage Arms A17 you shouldn't be buying ammo dedicated for that rifle ?

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

That's all fine and dandy if your rifle shoots same POA with both and you manage to swap over bullets in the little time you have. But unlikely in any event, that's assuming I'm correct regarding jacket thickness. 

If you are out on rabbits, the Gamepoint is better than poly tipped anyway IMO. Good kills with less meat waste. 20gr was certainly my round of choice when it was my main rabbit gun.

5 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

If you are out on rabbits, the Gamepoint is better than poly tipped anyway IMO. Good kills with less meat waste. 20gr was certainly my round of choice when it was my main rabbit gun.

I still use the 20grain but they are vmax not hollow point. Never really bothered with the heads so they get blown off. 

3 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I use the HMR for pure rabbit control, there's not much need for fox control where I shoot. What is a VNT bullet  - and has anyone on here tried them yet? 

I don't think there in the UK yet Dave. I think it's the be all and end all of all HMR bullets.

Again. 

10 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I use the HMR for pure rabbit control, there's not much need for fox control where I shoot. What is a VNT bullet  - and has anyone on here tried them yet? 

2650fps instead of 2550fps for the 17gr V-Max. Thinner jacketing of the bullet meaning it fragments quicker/easier causing more damage.

But as said above looks like a 'rebranded' A17 which was developed for the Savage Arms A17 .17hmr semi-automatic rifle...

I'd personally just like the extra energy in existing rounds.

40 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I still use the 20grain but they are vmax not hollow point. Never really bothered with the heads so they get blown off. 

That's a fair point. I'm guilty of the odd chest area shot, so the Gamepoint tended to keep meat waste to a minimum without compromising kill

3 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

2650fps instead of 2550fps for the 17gr V-Max. Thinner jacketing of the bullet meaning it fragments quicker/easier causing more damage.

But as said above looks like a 'rebranded' A17 which was developed for the Savage Arms A17 .17hmr semi-automatic rifle...

That's a fair point. I'm guilty of the odd chest area shot, so the Gamepoint tended to keep meat waste to a minimum without compromising kill

I'd assume it's more reliable regarding missfires to be considered suitable for a semi if anyone routinely double taps. I'm liking the added frangibility aspect.

11 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I'd assume it's more reliable regarding missfires to be considered suitable for a semi if anyone routinely double taps. I'm liking the added frangibility aspect.

Not sure really - Pigeon Shredder says he is using the A17 bullets, so they must be available already (it is the link to them I posted earlier in this thread). They come in boxes of 200!!

I had actually thought the .17hmr semi-auto dream had been buried after the problems encountered in the early days.

47 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

I've got my 20 grain Vmax doing a tad more than 2650,  the average is 4450. :lol:

I hope that they have  finally got round to sorting out the ammunition issues out with what was once a lovely round to shoot. 

2 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Yup, looks to be just the a17 rebranded

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=949CC

But remember - unless you own a Savage Arms A17 you shouldn't be buying ammo dedicated for that rifle ?

Can l ask why you come across with your last statement regarding ammo to rifle specific.

This cartridge has been fired very successfully in HMR bolt action rifles, mine included.

lts a very accurate round.

19 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Can l ask why you come across with your last statement regarding ammo to rifle specific.

This cartridge has been fired very successfully in HMR bolt action rifles, mine included.

lts a very accurate round.

True. The A17’s can be used in bolt guns. They achieve higher velocities in a bolt gun than they do in a semi auto according to a review I read. I recently bought some, but haven’t given them a try yet.