Another Dream Moon Flight

6.5x55SE

After a relatively lazy Arbuckle's full English breakfast a bit of business i was all set for a period of non shooting when my Wife said Conor would like to go for a Moon flight tonight as weather looks good AND he promises he will get up for work.

Inspite of many years of Wildfowling i don't need asking twice so i called a good mate of mine who like myself jumped at the chance . Moon rise 18.18  Tide 7.89m at 19.15 wind 26mph + Plan leave at 17.00  in position at 18.30. Well at 19.00 it was heavy cloud a White Horse covered Marsh apart from the Wind it silence and no bird activity . Racking my brain i kept trying to convince all three of us the Pink's had found a sheltered place i knew of a few miles away and had not stayed inland .

Just gone 20.00 it was obviously going to clear so dropping Conor and mate off i went to park the Truck . Whilst getting togged up was it  !!!!!! wasn't it !!!!!!! That definitely was 3 shot's as i quickly made my way towards Conor and Mate i several times as very very low ragged Skien's of Pink's battled the strengthening Wind finally meeting Conor i got Grandad we both got 2 Pink's my mate laughed telling me how he'd missed a gift of a chance only for Conor to stuff it going back with the Wind . So after a excited chat i went back 80yrd telling them enjoy the flight . For me Geese went either side at times so low you could have touched them finally a ragged bunch tried to sneak to my right with the Moon behind them two shot's from the Old AYA Magnum No3 sbs load with Homeloaded  32gram Steel 4's and 2's saw my two Dogs bring a Pink each back before i took the second Pink a pair appeared like Lancaster Bombers two shot's double miss settling back down 9 Pink's again tried to silently sneak by two shot another double miss I'm sure i could he the other two laughing at me . Believe it or not i even shook the cartridges just to make sure I'd loaded them with shot.

3 shot's from my right caused me to look that way in time to see black shape's swept by the wind go by lose two of there numbers as i killed a R/L  how had I just missed four easy into the wind Pink's yet killed two going with the wind . Making me jumped my mate said Boyd what a flight I've shot 6 sleeved my Conor has 5 ok picking my 4 Pink's we walked to Conor where both took great delight in taking the peeeee about me missing etc when i spotted 3 Pink's silently floating over in mid sentence i up'd the Old AYA followed by two wind swept ragged shape's thump down Now who's laughing even more abuse followed as i to sleeved my gun . Right Conor you have one more chance two Skien's went left but following was a large Skien 60+ strong straight over us all bands playing telling Conor now at his first shot  a Pink slanted but no mistake with his second shot as the same Pink just balled up . Lots of had shaking as my dog retrieved the Pink. My mate was full of praise to Conor who only turned 17 late November for the way he shot and especially the last shot for killing a crippled Goose rather than going for another. Three Fowlers achieved 6 Pink's each stood drinking Tea and Hot Chocolate at 21.10 whilst Pink's some silent some calling loudly flighted Inland whilst we recalled another fantastic flight never to be forgotten. Can we end January with a 3rd successful Moon Flight  ?????? 

04201814439.jpg.7bf97d0518b7ce92dda6484c30222ba7.jpg042018144335.jpg.2e0cc4714a372a695a9c0e8d4f4ac4f5.jpg042018144347.jpg.b8f3f845ba2c1ff15a7cf26780e2acee.jpg042018144358.jpg.72603738a8cd61306bb207c0ba6fdd39.jpg

Well done, what dreams are made off.. Myself and m greeny off here spent another night under the moon last night, clinging onto a fence as a 10m tide pushed up and over into the fields, to once again not get a shot haha... We're lucky if the pinks even come over ourside of the estuary never mind get a shot at them.. But it's still fun waiting and hoping

Nice one Boyd and well done to Conner on finishing the cripple a proper Fowler in the making. What smiler 23 failed to mention was that I had done a 12 hour shift before our flight  not arriving home till 12.30am and by the time I was showered and in bed it was 1.30am with the alarm set for 5am for another 12 hour shift oh the joys of a wild goose chase

19 minutes ago, m greeny said:

Nice one Boyd and well done to Conner on finishing the cripple a proper Fowler in the making. What smiler 23 failed to mention was that I had done a 12 hour shift before our flight  not arriving home till 12.30am and by the time I was showered and in bed it was 1.30am with the alarm set for 5am for another 12 hour shift oh the joys of a wild goose chase

Thanks Mark. I will admit age is catching up with me just been outside Mind is willing me to go wind good moon good i know a  good flightline of a few hundred Pink's but a 1 hr 10-15 minutes drive then a decent walk the body saying no more :sad1: even my Wife keep's saying take your own advice you keep giving others Get your gear gun dogs and go you only live once

Edited by 6.5x55SE

34 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

6x5x55 brilliant shooting especially with aya no3 same model i own outa all my guns i own AYA my favourite well done matey

Thanks Gerry :good:

Must admit doe's feel good hearing a click as the AYA close's on two side by side cartridges and even better when you see that the Right barrel fold a Goose then the Left barrel :yahoo:

Showing my age now being brought up with a SBS  gun and Right and Left being the ultimate Dream :yes: