Timber framed houses

hambone

I have recently returned to building work after a 20 year absence and the 2 sites that I have worked on have timber framed houses.  My question is has anyone experienced problems with licensing or installing a gun cabinet into a new build?  I have always believed that a gun cabinet had to be mounted on the internal skin of an outside wall (traditional build) as internal stud walls were not secure enough.  :hmm:

12 minutes ago, cuffy said:

Just put a few coach bolts in the studs/noggins and floor .

If your feo no likey they're just being a tool 

The bolts are only to stop someone picking up your cabinet and walking off with it .

My thought was somebody with a recip saw picking up a cabinet and walking off with it. 

Edited by hambone
typo

As a builder you’ll know you can only fix to a stud on 600 (or 400) centres, so just fix one side of your cabinet to that stud and chemical anchor the other side. Trying to cater for someone with a reciprocating saw is overthinking things. 

I have mine fixed to a stud partition wall with Timberlocks and the floor. They aren’t going anywhere, reciprocator or otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

As a builder you’ll know you can only fix to a stud on 600 (or 400) centres, so just fix one side of your cabinet to that stud and chemical anchor the other side. Trying to cater for someone with a reciprocating saw is overthinking things. 

I have mine fixed to a stud partition wall with Timberlocks and the floor. They aren’t going anywhere, reciprocator or otherwise. 

I agree so why have I and probably countless others got cabinets in inconvenient or unsuitable locations. I would much prefer my cabinets to be on an internal wall? 

1 hour ago, hambone said:

I agree so why have I and probably countless others got cabinets in inconvenient or unsuitable locations. I would much prefer my cabinets to be on an internal wall? 

Why don’t you put it there then if it’s no good for you?

i put my cabinet where I wanted it to go, never been told any different. Neither has any of my friends.

Don’t over think it. Secured to wall studs or brick your not pulling it off. As for recip saw they could just use a kango and take your cabinet. 

More than 60% of new builds in Scotland are timber framed so plenty will have cabinets secured in them. 

Fastened to a breeze block internal wall.  

Put cabinet on wall. Drilled holes through wall from inside cabinet back. Removed plaster on other side. Made steel plate with matching holes to back of cabinet. Put plate onto wall put bolts through plate and wall into inside of cabinet fasted up nuts. Replastered and painted wall. Enclosed cabinet.

I live in early 18th century cottage, did not wish to secure to an outside wall for reason of damp, so mine is secured to an internal plaster and lath wall, steel channel on the other side ( don't know what its called but its used for securing (bolting) heavy industrial units onto walls with internal spring loaded fixings so you cannot get at them, screwed threaded bar into them, FAO said not seen anything like that before but was happy, "that's not going anywhere" if I move its an easy repair, just 4 holes through the wall

On 04/01/2018 at 20:01, hambone said:

Because you assumed you had to. Mine goes where works for me and the family.  I then ensure is securely attached.  

18 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Because you assumed you had to. Mine goes where works for me and the family.  I then ensure is securely attached.  

When i spoke to the FLO about my wooden house, he said make it as secure as realistically possible. He also said he wasn't a fan of loft installed cabinets as they were a pain in the butt to get to and people were therefore more likely to "delay" putting their guns away.

11 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

I am sure I was told to put it on the inside skin of an external wall as it was brick and therefore more secure, It was over 30 years ago though.